Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jethro's 996 drive tribe video (some 996 love)

Excellent find Lee. I agree with everything he says too. A base 3.4 early car would be plenty enough for almost anyone. Very nearly did as much myself but in the end a 6T won me over, but it wouldn't disappoint if I had to swap to a 996.1 in the future.

A few of the of the car jornalists/reviewers now seem to be picking up 996's obviously Jethro has had his for a few years and Matt from car wow being the most recent I've seen

Thanks for posting that Lee. Good little video.
Jethros is a cool car. Nice colour with Aerokit.

I had a blast out in mine today with Craig in his. They are sooo much fun on fast B roads and what a noise. The first time you open it up after its warmed up is always great. I always forget how good they are when I don't drive it for a while.

Thanks for posting. That was a great video. :thumb:

Its great that a guy with his driving skill is backing just how good these cars are. And... doesn't it just look stunning on the move!

That is a really good video - a car I've read about for a few years now, but all the more interesting now I own an aerokitted 996!

In his comments below he says that the Aerokit came before the GT3. Is this true? I always assumed it was designed for the GT3 and then offered as an option for regular 996s. Were Sport Design wheels also offered before the GT3?

Lee - great post m8 :thumb:

Great video

Osh

Well I pick up an 02 C2 with GT3 kit today.
As a bit of a 911 nut, lost count on how many ive had but its in double figs.
I can say I'm looking forward to buying it and been able to use as intended, unlike some of the previous in my ownership.

Great bit of film by the way, that car looked and sounded incredible on those North Wales roads.

Fantastic video, nice to hear the engine sing and the suspension working rather than some 90's Techno or whatever they usually overlay such things with.

Jethro is quite a handy driver too by the look of it. Not realised he is a 996 owner. Good man.

Anyone know exactly where that was filmed, road etc?

I have a silver version of what Jethro has. I'm still on an ongoing mission to kill off the power on understeer, but I'm having a lot of fun trying.

I don't agree that a 996 is the brilliant drivers car that he says it is though. You have to change too much to get a balanced and great driving car. A stock E46 M3 is much more agreeable as a driver's car in bog stock form. The downside of an M3 though is that you wouldn't sit on your front lawn and just admire it on the drive like I would with my 911.

I'm not a 996 hater by any means, far from it. Once I've finished modding mine to my taste (lots less weight, better suspension) then it's going to not only look a lot nicer than an M3 but will deliver a far superior driving experience too.

Martin996RSR said:
I have a silver version of what Jethro has. I'm still on an ongoing mission to kill off the power on understeer, but I'm having a lot of fun trying.

I don't agree that a 996 is the brilliant drivers car that he says it is though. You have to change too much to get a balanced and great driving car. A stock E46 M3 is much more agreeable as a driver's car in bog stock form. The downside of an M3 though is that you wouldn't sit on your front lawn and just admire it on the drive like I would with my 911.

I'm not a 996 hater by any means, far from it. Once I've finished modding mine to my taste (lots less weight, better suspension) then it's going to not only look a lot nicer than an M3 but will deliver a far superior driving experience too.

Interesting comments... I've often found that BMWs are seductive cars from the get go, particularly the E46 M3 engine, which is among the all time greats. Porsches take time to worm their way in, but once you 'get it', happy days. They are also cars that lend themselves to tweaking to taste, which is part of the fun.

TBH, if I had the space then I would buy an E46 M3 as well as the Porsche. Because I can choose only one though, I went with the Porsche because it's something I had always lusted after.

My one came with the M030 suspension with bad tyres and very poorly set up geometry, which meant it understeered so badly I wound up running for a time with the front anti-roll bar disconnected in an effort to tame the understeer. This really came as a dissapointing entry to 911 ownership.

Since then I've put better tyres on, experimented with different geometry settings, and replaced all the coffin and trailing arms and track rod ends. This has drastically improved matters, but I'm still going to be going over to Billies or Ohlins and will put a base model Boxster front anti roll bar on it. I'm also going to take as much weight out of the rear as I can to acheive a better weight distribution. I may even move the battery to the front left of the frunk floor to get that weight further forward and lower down, and in the right place to benefit the corner weights.

My old car :D As some may have guessed from the "from a guy who ran a race shop looking after 90s F1 cars" comment.

Great to see the old girl still being fast and capable!

Great video; like most people I too followed Jethro's 996 journey when he was writing for EVO magazine.

Doesn't Aerna Red looks great? One of my favourite Porsche colours ever since the 993 turbo UK press car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back