Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How many bolts in upper Camshaft Covers? OK update

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

Having done the lower covers my next job is the upper ones. However, looking at the 6 gaskets there are 2 holes in each so I would assume that I require 12 new bolts. In the PET for item 20 it says 38, OK, 22 for the lower covers that leaves 16. If I'm right with 12 for the two covers where do the other 4 go :dont know: I can't seem to see them in the PET on page 27.

Also if anyone can point me in the direction of a "DIY how to" I'd very much appreciate it. When I had them done by my Indy in Q8 about 10 years ago I remember him saying that the upper ones where more difficult than the lowers. The lowers IMHO were a peace of cake :wink:

ATB :)

Update:

Just had a look at a new upper Camshaft Cover on Type 911 and I see that there are 8 bolts per cover. 16 bolts to order then :)

Dec,

I bought both upper and lower camshaft cover gaskets from 911uk, I got the Camshaft Cover hex bolts with them which stated that there's 38 of them required per engine.

Trev

Hi Trev,

Thanks for that, yes it says 38 in the PET, I was just missing the balance after calculating 22 for the lowers and I thought 12 for the tops but it's 16 for the top covers so 22 + 16 = 38 all clear now. :thumb:

Any pointers on doing the top covers? but your engine was out if I remember correctly. Much easier to work on these engines when they are not in the car.

Dec, sorry no pointers as this is a job I haven't done as yet, but should be looking to complete in the next month or so.

Good luck with it all,

Trev

Thanks Trev,

Won't be doing the job for a while, just had 2 weeks of decorating :roll: so I'm going to enjoy the sun for a bit. I need to recee it out as I haven't done so yet apart from shining a torch at the top covers. What I am pretty sure of is it won't be easy or even possible to drill out any stubborn bolts. Will write it up once done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back