Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It`s time to change my Daily Driver, but for what ?

kurlykris

The time has come to swap my daily driver W212 Merc E350 AMG sport Diesel, she`s now on 120K and 2010 plate. Was going to do a simple upgrade, same car, or possibly C class but newer...............then along came the Gubbinment and their Nazi-ism to diesel cars all of a sudden :dont know:

Used Mercedes choice is now zero for petrol cars, a few 1.6-2.0L cars or a full fat C or E 63 and 25mpg :sad: nothing in between around 3.0L V6 300Bhp type thing :nooo:

I don`t lease cars as I do far too many miles, up to 50K per year, so it`s not viable financially.

I usually chop the car in and bung £10K-ish in the pot every couple of years, so budget is around £20K

So I`m up for suggestions, bearing in mind that I have to not upset my customers with anything too in your face and flashy, which Mercs are fantastic for, most people comment on what a nice car but don`t moan about me charging too much or whatnot :grin:

I`m pretty fed up that I can`t go the Merc route to be honest, this one is my 6th in a row and they have all been fantastic cars without any issues.

Oh, and I hate BMWs :grin:

Edit : It needs a massive boot, but not an estate car :thumb:

Kris what about the merc petrol hybrid cars like the C350E

Phil 997 said:
Kris what about the merc petrol hybrid cars like the C350E

Lol, Phil, I should have stated, no electric motors required :judge:

They are completely impractical for me phil, never anywhere to charge them when I get to my destination and I might drive 300 miles, have a cup of coffee and then drive 300 miles home, carrying probably 400Lbs of tools and kit :sad:

lol Kris I didnt think these things needed charging I thought the recharged while running on petrol and thats what gave the econ . but maybe I am wrong :dont know: yes I can understand how a Tesla is no good for you but worth looking a bit more into whether these need recharging all the time. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
lol Kris I didnt think these things needed charging I thought the recharged while running on petrol and thats what gave the econ . but maybe I am wrong :dont know: yes I can understand how a Tesla is no good for you but worth looking a bit more into whether these need recharging all the time. :thumb:

The problem with Hybrid/plug in`s is that I`m quite brutal on cars performance wise, I don`t think that the battery packs would last, and they cost a fortune to replace :hand:

My current Merc should give 50+mpg on a motorway, I have averaged 36 for the last 70,000 miles :grin:

Audi A5 3.0 tdi Quattro manual box

0-60 5.7
33mpg driving like a nutter locally
45mpg work driving
official motorway around 50mpg
mahoosive boot

4wd for winter call-outs

:thumb:

alex yates said:
Audi A5 3.0 tdi Quattro manual box

0-60 5.7
33mpg driving like a nutter locally
45mpg work driving
official motorway around 50mpg
mahoosive boot

4wd for winter call-outs

:thumb:

No diesels allowed Alex, the gubbinment have spoken ( and are plotting their taxation/revenge ) :sad:

I blame Gordon Brown :thumb:

Comes with free leather clad chic in hat and shades :grin:

alex yates said:
Comes with free leather clad chic in hat and shades :grin:

She looks cute :thumb: but 31 mpg :?: I could squeeze that out of a C63 if I drove like Miss Daisy :grin:

But the newer C63 is 4.0L turbo whizzy thing :sad:

I think I`m going to have to think outside the box here :grin:

What about the Auto Express 'Car of the Decade 2000-2010'.

Jaguar XF in 3.0V6 or 4.2V8 guise.

There's masses to choose from for under £20k

T8 said:

Also in the CNC technician's top 5 vehicles to waft up and down the UK with tools in tow.

Good call Terry :thumb:

T8 said:

I`ve been having a gander at those T8, the 3.0 and 4.8 seem to return the same Mpg :dont know:

Not sure I`m old enough for a Jag yet :grin: or the increase in my AA bill :nooo:

kurlykris said:
Not sure I`m old enough for a Jag yet :grin: or the increase in my AA bill :nooo:

Don't let Eddie Irvine hear you say tha! :wink:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back