Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 9
997 : 2004- 66
996 : 1997-2005 39
993 : 1993-1998 8
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 13
Cayman : 2005- 18
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 4
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

TheGT3ofDC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, and they've not been entirely clear, they are claiming the Sharkwerks exhaust is one issue and the over-rev is "potentially" another.

The technician seems to have suggested the exhaust may have lead to the over-rev. It didn't because the over-rev was some 10k miles before the exhaust was fitted.

The latest reply is still a bit confusing to me too. I said I'd revert the car to standard again and asked what would happen next.

They've said:

We will be more than happy to look into the issues that you are having. I would first suggest swapping the exhaust back to standard and try that. We cannot deem anything modified as warranty. Also, if we find that there has been a remap previous to you purchasing the vehicle, this has warranty implications, too. We have spoken to Porsche regarding your GT3 and this is what has been advised.

The over-rev is on the vehicle analysis log for the history of the vehicle. There may be still coverage in terms of warranty, but extra checks have to be carried out before Porsche will agree to warranty.

Quite why they are suggesting there was a remap before I bought it I've no idea as it was me that put the exhaust on recently and they've had clear details on this.

Not impressed.

Senoj
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see that as entirely unreasonable tbh. Certainly at this stage.

The over rev is a non issue for the reasons you state. They are just hedging and not making any promises they can't keep later on. The remap is a bit of a naive comment but again just getting it writen down in case thats an issue later, you are a modder after all Floor

It just depends what the issue actually is before you know if its going to be covered, seemingly..

I say this as someone who's had some horror story experiences with Porsche and warranty, this dealer too.

Not impressed but what are you expecting? They just take your modded car in, sort it all out regardless and give it back? Not going to happen really..

TheGT3ofDC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't like what they've said on a variety of issues. I've told them when the exhaust went on and at what mileage. Yet they still bleat on about over-revs and remapping even prior to my ownership.

I get that given the exhaust that a warranty claim was always a gamble on anything engine related. If the exhaust has caused the fuelling to be out and plugs/leads to be fouled then I'll happily pay for it.

It's the way they've dealt with it. They know Mrs DC has a 997 C2S too and that I was looking to build a relationship with them after using Brooklands previously. Doesn't count for much these days though does it, a bit like the rose tinted days when my bank manager always looked after me

Thumb

Senoj
Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, can relate. Its the uber defensive stance they take. I thinks it's because they don't actually call the shots on warranty work. So very nervous of getting it wrong and being left with the bill! Surprised

Gaxor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH the I think OP is on a bit of a sticky wicket. Once you submit a car to an OPC with a relatively major mod (Sharkwerks Exhaust) then the cat is out of the bag.

That particular vehicle will now be logged on the OPC network as being modified, and now tainted.

Anyway as a final point - The Porsche after warranty makes it very very clear that any non Porsche part validates the warranty - full stop! So why take a modified car into the OPC and expect any warranty work to be carried out.

TheGT3ofDC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaxor wrote:
So why take a modified car into the OPC and expect any warranty work to be carried out.

To be fair it went in for an MoT and whilst there I mentioned it. The technician said he'd come out in it and agreed there was a problem so it was kept in.

Trivial I know but the salesman I bought it from and the staff at Brooklands all said that an exhaust shouldn't be a problem as they have quite a few customers with similar. I do appreciate that if the fault is related to the mod then that changes things and that 'may' be what has happened here.

As I said, I'll put it back to standard now and see what happens. Much of my issue is about the tone of their contact regarding the over-rev and possible remap, both of which would be long before my purchase (I doubt there was a remap personally).

To add, I've done similar with an exhaust modded BMW M3 I used to own, no warranty issues there and that was a fuelling issue which turned out to be an injector fault.

DC

Graemep
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGT3ofDC wrote:
They've said:

We will be more than happy to look into the issues that you are having. I would first suggest swapping the exhaust back to standard and try that. We cannot deem anything modified as warranty. Also, if we find that there has been a remap previous to you purchasing the vehicle, this has warranty implications, too. We have spoken to Porsche regarding your GT3 and this is what has been advised.

The over-rev is on the vehicle analysis log for the history of the vehicle. There may be still coverage in terms of warranty, but extra checks have to be carried out before Porsche will agree to warranty.

Quite why they are suggesting there was a remap before I bought it I've no idea as it was me that put the exhaust on recently and they've had clear details on this.

Probably suggested as an exhaust upgrade and remap are often done at the same time.

However, if the over-rev was flagged, then the OPC should also have the DME data from the 111-point check, etc. that was carried out prior to your purchase, which SHOULD have highlighted a remap although from experience, this can be little more than a box-ticking exercise. If you do find your car has been remapped before your purchase, that is a whole different conversation..

Your best option would have been to swap the exhaust before you went anywhere near the OPC, but at least they seem to be willing to look at the fault if returned to standard. However, they haven't done themselves any favours in their handling of the situation.

Past:
997.1 Turbo Tip
Audi RS4 (B5) - tweaked a bit more..

Demort
Sepang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some digging on the rev ranges as i thought it was 1-6 as usual .. found this ..

Rev range 1: 9,000 -1 ... to 9,200 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed exceeded; engine damage possible.

Rev range 2: 9,200 -1 ... to 9,500 -1
⇒ Maximum permitted engine speed clearly exceeded; engine damage probable.

Rev range 3: over 9,500 -1
⇒ Engine damage has generally occurred.

7pm - 9pm

TheGT3ofDC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just by way of an update, the car went in for an Intermediate Service (at a different dealer) and I asked to have the plugs changed too.

The slight splutter at 1500rpm has now gone and the throttle response seems much better too. Clearly the plugs were past their best.

I'm still rocking the Sharkwerks exhaust for the moment but will revert back to standard after a Euro road trip this month.

Thumb

911UK
World Domination
World Domination

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGT3ofDC wrote:
Just by way of an update, the car went in for an Intermediate Service (at a different dealer) and I asked to have the plugs changed too.

The slight splutter at 1500rpm has now gone and the throttle response seems much better too. Clearly the plugs were past their best.

I'm still rocking the Sharkwerks exhaust for the moment but will revert back to standard after a Euro road trip this month.

Thumb

Did you ever following this back up with Brooklands ?

FOLLOW 911UK ON FACEBOOK

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: