Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The end of my PCM2 - upgrading

stefant

Enough is enough! Having replaced the drive in my PCM2 due to it not reading the Nav discs, or any discs properly. I have now had multiple error messages and it keeps forgetting the coding for the telephone model, do can't use my Dension anymore.

I pulled the trigger and ordered the following:
Replacement headunit, with apple CarPlay - Kenwood DMX-7017DABS
Adaptor to allow me to keep the stock amplifier and speaker connections
Dash surrond to allow flush fitting of the head unit.

I am going to install it all this weekend so will keep you posted. I did a lot of research so if it goes well will be happy to share... Wish me luck!

Good luck! :thumb:
(Though I would have replaced the amp and speakers too) :mrgreen:

Hi Stefant,
Is it an early car or a later MOST car?
Mike

Go for it. I fitted this courtesy of a lovely fellow member who was a joy to trade with (cheers Ben :thumb: ).

Tips? Get the right connector if MOST. Mine wasn't cheap but importantly everything works. If fitting yourself make sure the settings are left at neutral on your PCM before removal (Volume to mid, faded and balance to mid etc).

And make sure you've set all your car functions that the PCM controls as you like them before removal (lights, wipers, door locking etc).

Like many I've gone down the Brodit route for my phone holder (damn you Spiderlane :damn: ).

And that's that. Great upgrade on functionality :thumbs:

Yes it is the Most version, got the right adapter

Thanks for the tips

Really looking forward o hearing how you get on and how easy it is as a diy change out.

Could you post some pics of the MOST adaptor when fitting.

This is on my list of things to do n the future.

:thumb:

Good luck with the install. The PCM 2 really is pretty bad compared to modern kit.

Does the use of a MOST Adapter impact the dashboard computer display of mpg, tank range, boost pressure, temp etc? I would expect it to impact the satnav part of course, but what about the rest of the functions?

Looks very nice. How do you find the sound quality with the existing speakers? Is it any better via the new head unit?

New997buyer said:
Go for it. I fitted this courtesy of a lovely fellow member who was a joy to trade with (cheers Ben :thumb: ).

Tips? Get the right connector if MOST. Mine wasn't cheap but importantly everything works. If fitting yourself make sure the settings are left at neutral on your PCM before removal (Volume to mid, faded and balance to mid etc).

And make sure you've set all your car functions that the PCM controls as you like them before removal (lights, wipers, door locking etc).

Like many I've gone down the Brodit route for my phone holder (damn you Spiderlane :damn: ).

And that's that. Great upgrade on functionality :thumbs:

:sad:

Right apologies I haven't posted an update sooner, but here goes.

The conversion kit I bought is sold by connects2 as plug and play, they are very helpful when you call then for sales advice or technical support - however due to the number of variations in 996 cars they can't guarantee that every car will plug and play. Mine was not!

This wasn't really an issue as all it meant was that the switched power (from the ignition switched on) needed to come direct from the fuse box as the convertor was not sensing the can bus was turned on.

Other finings is that the 996 has two anntenna one in the windscreen, which needed power to work and one diversity, which is a non powered and under the plastic cowling by the windscreen wipers.

The one you want to use for your new stereo is the windscreen powered one, the diversity can't be used.

I installed DAB and used a small whip type antenna under the the plastic cowling by the windscreen wipers, I actually made it lie over the diversity antenna. The signal is fine and avoids having the awful windscreen mounted version.

The DIN to existing Porsche antenna adaptor (CT27AA14) has a power wire on it that is not needed as the power comes through the existing cars wiring harness and your new head unit.

Other than that it was pretty easy. The surround for the new head unit kit, again fro connects two is very good.

Wis post some pics latter

some more information here. Please message me if I can help anyone with further information...

the wiring diagrams I used are here:
http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio-car-connector/PORSCHE-Car-Radio-Wiring-Connector.htm

On mine I only had plugs A and C, plus the orange Fibre optic cables.

Sound:
The connect2 convertor turns the Fibre into normal RCA plugs so you can attach to your new headunit.

Power Switched:
The convertor attempts to use Plug C pin1 and 2 to control the ignition on. This didn't work on mine so they suggested I simply ignore it - which I did and routed the power from a switched power source in the fuse box.

Power Constant:
Plug A contains the constant power and antenna power (pin 5) which you simply connect to the antenna power of your new head unit and plug into the convertor

Antenna:
I used a convertor so I could convert the Porsche antenna into the standard Din of the new headhunt. this is just plug and play (ignore the blue powered from the antenna convertor as this is not needed due to the power for the antenna coming from the PlugA pin 5 (see above)
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/35903-pcm-antenna/

GPS:
My Head unit came with a GPS antenna (Small square one) this looked the same as the porsche one that is mounted under the alarm light in the centre top of the dash. I did buy a convertor for this but in the end decided to simply swap out the Porsche one for the new Kenwood one, which was easy to do.
]https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/20-pcm-2-installation/
Half way down the page on the link above it shows you how to swap them over.

DAB:
I bought a small thin GPS antenna from here:
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_MagnetwiG__DMA-1004_DAB_car_aerial.html
I routed it to under the cowling on the right hand side by the pollen filter (as you stand in front of the car looking at the windscreen). I wedged it into the diversity antenna that may or may not help with the reception - it has been fine up to now.

Double Din cage:
I bought this kit again from Connects2. Use the part number on my original post as connects2 tried to give me the part number for the 997!.
It fits well, but I took advice from another forum and added some screws on the left and right side to hold it tight, I didn't think the bend over clips would secure it.

Headunit:
I am very pleased with the headunit. The sound quality is great as is CarPlay. you can customise the colours of the keys and the background to match your car.

Other:
Don't forget to connect the handbrake cable from the headunit to the negative power to trick the unit that the handbrake is on (loads of details about this on the web)
Connect the dimmer cable from the head unit to the cigarette lighter illumination cable to dim the unit when the lights turn on
Connect the Antenna power cable from the head unit to the cars antenna cable

some more information here. Please message me if I can help anyone with further information...

the wiring diagrams I used are here:
http://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-ra...enna coming from the PlugA pin 5 (see above) https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/35903-pcm-antenna/

GPS:
My Head unit came with a GPS antenna (Small square one) this looked the same as the porsche one that is mounted under the alarm light in the centre top of the dash. I did buy a convertor for this but in the end decided to simply swap out the Porsche one for the new Kenwood one, which was easy to do.
[/url]https://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/20-pcm-2-installation/
Half way down the page on the link above it shows you how to swap them over.

DAB:
I bought a small thin GPS antenna from here:
[/url]http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_MagnetwiG__DMA-1004_DAB_car_aerial.html
I routed it to under the cowling on the right hand side by the pollen filter (as you stand in front of the car looking at the windscreen). I wedged it into the diversity antenna that may or may not help with the reception - it has been fine up to now.

Double Din cage:
I bought this kit again from Connects2. Use the part number on my original post as connects2 tried to give me the part number for the 997!.
It fits well, but I took advice from another forum and added some screws on the left and right side to hold it tight, I didn't think the bend over clips would secure it.

Headunit:
I am very pleased with the headunit. The sound quality is great as is CarPlay. you can customise the colours of the keys and the background to match your car.

Other:
Don't forget to connect the handbrake cable from the headunit to the negative power to trick the unit that the handbrake is on (loads of details about this on the web)
Connect the dimmer cable from the head unit to the cigarette lighter illumination cable to dim the unit when the lights turn on
Connect the Antenna power cable from the head unit to the cars antenna cable

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back