Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Michelin PS2s on the 993 / Silverstone / WEC / PCGB

tim993

Zandvoort
I know one shouldn't shout too early with new tyres, but I am seriously impressed with the new boots and I only had them fitted yesterday.

The car has got back most of the high speed stability that i thought I had waved goodbye to when the KW V3s were swapped out for Koni FSDs. :)

Okay, i did have the front tracking checked as well and they made the tiniest of tweaks so it was probably a factor too.

Anyhow, day 1 on PS2s involved driving the old girl up to Silverstone for the opening round of the WEC - with 1/2 price tickets c/o PCGB and lovely infield parking with dozens and dozens of other delicious Porkers. Quite simply a stunning display of Stuttgart's finest. There was even a 924 GTS - I literally had to pull myself away from this car. It made even the plentiful showing of gorgeous 991 GT3 RSs look rather 'common' and ordinary. I'm rather proud to say my car was the only one in the line up that was filthy - or as the gent who directed me to park up said - "at least it looks like you use yours"...

Back to the driving: I was struck by the markedly improved straight line stability, improved steering feel with less kick back from changes in the road surface and they are sooo much quieter than my 5 year old Contis. The car really was an absolute pleasure to drive.

So, there you have it - I won't be fitting anything else for some time to come
:thumb:

Great news Tim. Have you decided what you are doing Thursday yet? Have sent you a PM.

mitchelins ps2s on 993

sir I believe you have made a great choice .they will transform your car from the contis . I run them on my 993 and mitchelins on my cab

tim993 said:
I know one shouldn't shout too early with new tyres, but I am seriously impressed with the new boots and I only had them fitted yesterday.

Good to hear that the Michelins are working well for you Tim. I have some PS4s that I am looking forward to trying soon in a switch from Continentals (if I can ever get the hollow spokes fitted :frustrated:).

Isn't it inevitable that the new, soft rubber and extra tread of new tyres always make them seem a vast improvement over the old boots that have just been replaced, regardless of brand?

I guess not many of us change-out perfectly good tyres on a whim just to try another brand so could that initial improvement that we feel be more to do with new vs old rather than brand X vs brand Y?
:dont know:

IMHO the difference is chalk and cheese. I replaced Contis with PS2 and the car was transformed. I did bear in mind the old - to - new effect, but the car feels more planted, more stable and more comfortable. So much better I will not go back, although I may try out some Bridgestones another time because they felt best on my bike.

madge said:
Isn't it inevitable that the new, soft rubber and extra tread of new tyres always make them seem a vast improvement over the old boots that have just been replaced, regardless of brand?

I have to say that i did wonder that. It would be great to be able to carry out a proper comparative test. But for that i'd need three sets of hollow spokes at least!

I don't recall the switch from (worn) Pirelli's to (new) Contis being this profound - particularly in the areas of high speed stability and noise reduction - but then again it was back in 2010. So that means i'm also comparing 7 year old rubber to new stuff as well!

So, you're probably right then - simply fitting new tyres is generally a whole world of good news whichever 'proper' make you go for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back