Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Feeling utterly dejected

Alfaian

Sao Paulo
Picked the car up from having a major service done earlier and the results from bore inspection has fil led me with dread tbh.

Cylinders 4 and 6 shows scoring marks ( no pics sorry) with 6 being the worst.

123and 5 all ok so what do I do now? Car doesn't use oil and tailpipes clean with no "ticking" from engine.

It's going to need new coolant pipes in the front before long, as well as new coil springs ( h&r) probably, to lower the stance a bit.

I'm thinking to just sort the coil springs and other bits for now and see how the engine performs and start getting my head around a 10k plus hartech rebuild sometime in the foreseeable future. I mean it could've been scored for years right ?

I need reassurance as I'm a tad pi55ed off right now :-|

Sorry to hear that mate......not good news for anyone. Do you have a LTT fitted? That would be my 1st job, then maybe move to a different oil if you're using 0W 40. Something a tad thicker like the Miller nano stuff Hartech recommend. After that, monitor how it goes and see if there's any deterioration and if so - start saving.

Could just be reasonably light scoring and stay like that for years. :dont know:

Good luck anyway. :thumb:

Cheers Alex. Yes, I had the LTT fitted 3 years ago when I first got the car.

It's had millers 10w50 nano in it since I've owned it also and again this last week with the service.

I rigorously warm the car up before giving it the beans and drove it home like miss daisy today feeling like a victim. Then I remembered I had the cold air intake pipe fitted along with the bmc filter and ragged the ass off it. Just took my frustration out on it and thinking ... go on just blow up. :frustrated:

Great sound though :grin:

If they weren't such iconic and addictive cars hey.

Really need to understand why you had it checked? Was it not performing? You say no ticking, sooty tailpipe, etc, so it could just be minor wear which isn't a problem and carry on enjoying it. Who did the service?

I believe there is bore scoring, which kills it, or just core scoring, which doesnt cause a problem. Just because there are some marks doesn't mean you have to worry.....

I can understand how you must feel but just drive it, the scoring cant be that advanced if your showing none of the symptoms .
Sure you can start to plan and budget for a build but that could be years away and may not even happen.
I take it Chris did the service and diagnoses, what was his advice?

resigner said:
Really need to understand why you had it checked? Was it not performing? You say no ticking, sooty tailpipe, etc, so it could just be minor wear which isn't a problem and carry on enjoying it. Who did the service?

I believe there is bore scoring, which kills it, or just core scoring, which doesnt cause a problem. Just because there are some marks doesn't mean you have to worry.....

I wanted it checked to either give me peace of mind or to get my head around having a possible engine rebuild in the near future as I want to keep the car and, as the plugs were out then why not.

My Indy is a very experienced ex opc mechanic and says to keep an eye on oil usage and other signs of deterioration. The marks on 6 look the worst but he says he's seen a lot worse than mine but nonetheless has me concerned.

All I can do is wait and see and use the car as normal. It may have been like this for a while , who's to know. 65k on clock and no other symptoms except the results of the scope.

I need to sleep on it and wake up in a different mood.

Thanks for the positivity :thumb:

KJD said:
I can understand how you must feel but just drive it, the scoring cant be that advanced if your showing none of the symptoms .
Sure you can start to plan and budget for a build but that could be years away and may not even happen.

Hi kev, yes it was chris and I trust his judgment wholeheartedly.

Just feel fed up after pouring a load of money into the car and now this.

Like I said, he just advised to keep an eye on symptoms.

Can't help but feel dejected even though it might never happen :dont know:

Sorry to hear this. But a cautionary tale for others. Any why I wouldn't have a borescope unless buying a new car, or unless I suspected my car has an issue. Doing it solely for peace of mind often has the exact opposite effect and changes nowt other than your enjoyment of your car. It is ruined for you now I fear.

PS On our second 997.1 after new engine in first at 7,500 miles. Now on 50,000 with this one and will Hartech rebuild if required but won't do anything (such as borescope) until - or if - we get symptoms.

Horrible news bud...

However if you had the scope done to see so that you knew if it was going to need a rebuild in the future then you've now found your answer. If this is the first time its been scoped then its not really much use to you because it could have been like this since you bought it.

Its pretty safe to say that the majority of M97 engines have scored, but many engines score. The 944 engines were just as bad for it but because they aren't 911's nobody is bothered.

If you know its a keeper then start a little kitty for the rebuild, no rush, and continue to drive it as you have. Then when you've got enough cash to have it done get it re-scoped. If there has been no change in the scoring then go on a nice holiday with the money and start again. If its worse then get it rebuilt.

Just my 2p...

:thumb:

Sage advice. :thumb:

drmark said:
Sorry to hear this. But a cautionary tale for others. Any why I wouldn't have a borescope unless buying a new car, or unless I suspected my car has an issue. Doing it solely for peace of mind often has the exact opposite effect and changes nowt other than your enjoyment of your car. It is ruined for you now I fear.

PS On our second 997.1 after new engine in first at 7,500 miles. Now on 50,000 with this one and will Hartech rebuild if required but won't do anything (such as borescope) until - or if - we get symptoms.

Hi mark, I'll be fine tomorrow :grin: and I won't drive it any differently that's for sure.

I have the money to sort it out if indeed it will need sorting in the future. It just gets my goat that these flaws happen at all in such a high end performance car as Porsche :nooo:

ragpicker said:
Horrible news bud...

However if you had the scope done to see so that you knew if it was going to need a rebuild in the future then you've now found your answer. If this is the first time its been scoped then its not really much use to you because it could have been like this since you bought it.

Its pretty safe to say that the majority of M97 engines have scored, but many engines score. The 944 engines were just as bad for it but because they aren't 911's nobody is bothered.

If you know its a keeper then start a little kitty for the rebuild, no rush, and continue to drive it as you have. Then when you've got enough cash to have it done get it re-scoped. If there has been no change in the scoring then go on a nice holiday with the money and start again. If its worse then get it rebuilt.

Just my 2p...

:thumb:

Thanks mate that's a great way of looking at it and I'm calming down a little now :thumb:

Alfaian said:
KJD said:

Hi kev, yes it was chris and I trust his judgment wholeheartedly.

Just feel fed up after pouring a load of money into the car and now this.

Like I said, he just advised to keep an eye on symptoms.

Can't help but feel dejected even though it might never happen :dont know:

I'd feel the same way Ian but hopefully once you have had a chance to sleep on it hopefully you will feel better about it.
They are wonderful cars, keep the faith, keep enjoying and hopefully nothing will ever happen. :thumb:

Alfaian said:
drmark said:

Hi mark, I'll be fine tomorrow :grin: and I won't drive it any differently that's for sure.

I have the money to sort it out if indeed it will need sorting in the future. It just gets my goat that these flaws happen at all in such a high end performance car as Porsche :nooo:

Good. Don't let it ruin the car for you - follow the advice above.
Enjoy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back