Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 to 977.2 Steering Wheel Upgrade

dan4s997

Hello, My Names Dan and I am new to the forum.

I looking at swapping my wheel on my 997.1 Carrera 4S. I currently have the triangular air bag and its just not my cup of tea. I am looking at purchasing a newer shape steering wheel. I am just not sure which ones definitely fit. From my understanding after doing research, the wheels that fit are - 997.2 09-12, Boxer 09-12 and Cayman 09-12.

Does any of the 911 991 wheels fit? or the Cayman/ Boxer 981? or any year Cayenne, Panamera or Macan?

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Loads of really helpful people on here. I've just changed mine I'll try and put a before and after pic up. I think you can put a 991 wheel on it's a bit more expensive though! Someone like Phill will be along soon to confirm.

Attachments

• img_5859_212.jpg
    img_5859_212.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 9,901
  • img_5858_118.jpg
    img_5858_118.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 9,900
That wheel is amazing. Really transforms the interior. What model car did it come off? My car is a manual so should be a little bit easier to swap over I would assume over auto.

It's much easier and cheaper with the manual! It came from a 997.2 send mark at sterlings a pm he supplied mine. The airbag I had to wait until one came up and eBay, me and phill on here got them from Poland I can send you the eBay name and you could pm him, he a nice guy delivery was quick and I paid £270, cheers.

The Manual 991 steering wheels £400-£500 are quite hard to come by, but there are a couple on eBay. Try and get one with the black facia as they are newer version. You will also need airbag £270 - £350 as mentioned by others, and probably control module £250 needs to be changed.

If you have multi function wheel and want to retain it, will probably need to buy from Porsche - and is not cheap for a plastic facia with a few buttons on it! I paid I think £375 for one!

You will also need it all coded in, I went to Porsche and was charged £150.

Basically - not a cheap upgrade!

You should get decent money back for your existing steering wheel & airbag depending on spec (multifunction or not), I got £400 and was multifunction.

Poker2009 said:
The Manual 991 steering wheels £400-£500 are quite hard to come by, but there are a couple on eBay. Try and get one with the black facia as they are newer version. You will also need airbag £270 - £350 as mentioned by others, and probably control module £250 needs to be changed.

If you have multi function wheel and want to retain it, will probably need to buy from Porsche - and is not cheap for a plastic facia with a few buttons on it! I paid I think £375 for one!

You will also need it all coded in, I went to Porsche and was charged £150.

Basically - not a cheap upgrade!

You should get decent money back for your existing steering wheel & airbag depending on spec (multifunction or not), I got £400 and was multifunction.

All excellent points :) I just went from a multi function steering wheel (that silly triangle shaped one) to an Gen 1 GT3RS wheel, another thing to consider is to make sure the new wheel comes with the wiring harness... those are not cheap either.

Once you have forgotten about the cost, you will really like it! I changed the gear knob at the same time, and it feels like driving a new car!

silvermilnec said:
It's much easier and cheaper with the manual! It came from a 997.2 send mark at sterlings a pm he supplied mine. The airbag I had to wait until one came up and eBay, me and phill on here got them from Poland I can send you the eBay name and you could pm him, he a nice guy delivery was quick and I paid £270, cheers.

Thanks for the help guys, Can you please send me the ebay user so I can message him about a air bag and trying to search for Sterlings now, have you got a link to their website? My interior is Sea blue so very rare to find second hand wheels and bags. I have also just put up a progress thread. If you guys want to see the project.

Wish me luck haha

Thanks

Dan

Sorry to say but if you somehow manage to find Sea blue used parts, I think you will be extremely lucky!

997.1 sea blue wheels and bags are not that hard to find. If I just wanted to change to the 997.1 round sport steering wheel, which to me is still really nice. I just feel that if I am putting the effort in to change it, I might aswell go all out for the 997.2 wheel.

Any chance of an interior picture of your car, I had a 2006 4S in that colour combo. I had my steering wheel facia stripped and coated in a salt matt with soft touch it came up lovely.

Mukan86 is the eBay seller

dan4s997 said:
Its sea blue

I hope you fit your new steering wheel straighter than that one! :floor: :floor: :floor:

Dan, As the others have said , its a straight forward job , the newer steering module will need to be programmed by the opc. the manual wheels are a bit harder to find than the PDK but all the 997.2 boxter cayman and 991.1 wheels will fit the airbag will be £350/400 unless your very lucky.

this is Marks contact details,

http://911uk.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8142

He often has PDK wheels but not sure on man wheels

here some options

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...orsche&hash=item4d41ee1912:g:UGQAAOSwQPlV~HjU

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-9...819071?hash=item41ba61643f:g:daIAAOSw6DtYW9Vz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/987-Gen2-...orsche&hash=item4400b3db01:g:TpcAAOSwc-tY2myz

If you want the MF fascia they are not silly money from the opc. but a bit tricky to swap over. member Monster has done this .

If you need the steering module part number for the newer one let me know
:thumb:

Also if your anywhere near Bournemouth then happy to help a few of us down here have done this mod.

Attachments

• img_0354_182.jpg
    img_0354_182.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 9,690
I'll take a look. Thanks for the advice! Im not sure how far away that is but i'll bear it in mind mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back