Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How did Porsche get away with it.

Boba fett

Magny-Cours
Just wondering and I don't know if its been posted before, but how did Porsche get away with the known design flaws that was IMS, Bore scoring and RMS.

I'd also like to know how they got away with making most of their engine/exhaust bolts out of cheese? spent the last few days drilling and chopping with an angle grinder :x

Every car manufacture has designed cars with flaws. Porsche are no different than any other. The fact that they fit so many cars with brand new engines when something like the IMS bearing exploded is hardly 'getting away with it'.

As for bolts made out of cheese. How old are these bolts you're grinding/drilling out? Most (other) cars are on the scrap heap before they reach the age your rusty bolts are. Is a manufacturer expected to fit corrosion proof parts throughout the vehicle that outlive the age of the car? It's impossible to make it cost effective.

If you don't want a headache and want to live a stress free life - buy a new one!

My 996 is the oldest car I've ever ownded in my whole life (out of 12 cars) and it's in the best condition out of the lot of them.

This does not stack up, this is a premium product with a premium price, cars that are on the scrapie are turds and cost as such so no surprises.

Flaws Yes, but Not many car companies have a ticking financial time bomb for an engine either.

Boba fett said:
This does not stack up, this is a premium product with a premium price

So are Aston Martins. Still spend more time with the dealer than owner though.

Did you pay a premium price for your 2nd hand 911 (compared to similar performing vehicles out there)?

These cars are the best buy on the 2nd hand market, partly down to the fact that they have the above stated design flaws. I'm glad they didn't get it perfect or I couldn't have afforded one :thumb:

well i think they are great cars and great value for money hence why i own 2.
Obviously ignorant people who think they are ticking time bomb rust buckets wouldn't buy them so its not really an issue :thumb:

:grin: :grin:

Boba fett said:
Ha ha I need to get some rose tints like others :thumb:

.......or buy a BMW :)

alex yates said:
Boba fett said:
Ha ha I need to get some rose tints like others :thumb:

.......or buy a BMW :)

Got one of them, the throttle actuators are pish at around 60k miles, but don't wreck the car !! :thumb:

yes bmws, lovely cars...bolts never rust......no electrical problems......engines go on forever......seats don't perish....suspension doesn't crack.....don't depreciate hugely.....don't make you look like 95% of the rest of the boring cars on the road :D :D

You do have to question the fact that several times over the years Porsche has revised the IMS bearing a key part of the engine but arguably the problem has really only been addressed by independent Engineers, any engine can suffer from various bearing failures but its normally without a catastrophic result.

Del.

Boba fett said:
This does not stack up, this is a premium product with a premium price, cars that are on the scrapie are turds and cost as such so no surprises.

Flaws Yes, but Not many car companies have a ticking financial time bomb for an engine either.

When Porsche released the 996 with M96 engine (their first mass produced water cooled car?) I could forgive them for having issues with the first iteration / version of it. But, they must have known it had IMS and bore scoring issues and still release the M97 with the same problems.... like you said " How did Porsche get away with it"

Porsche got away with it by "trading" on its past reputation for "hewn from stone" build quality & hiding earlier failures of M96 IMS issues by replacing engines under warranty. The issue only became public knowledge when cars fell out of the dealer network after a few years or first owners didn't keep up the warranty (we all thought Porsche was so good nothing major would fail-right!!). The fact they knew there was an IMS issue is proved by their attempts to modify it between 1996-2010. They finally gave up & scrapped the engine with the GEN2 cars.

Fair enough, it would still have cost them a small fortune to replace all those engines warranty though right? I mean its not just 911's it was the Boxters and Cayman's too. With all their resources you would have thought they would have put in more effort to fix the root cause.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back