Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 16
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 48
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 3
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Norfolk & Idea
Suzuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollokre1d wrote:
Demort wrote:
Dont ever .. EVER buy a car out of warrenty !!

Disagree... I am on my third Porsche and approaching the end of my 2nd year in my 997 Turbo and and honestly say a warranty on any of those cars would have been a complete waste of money.

But hey whatever makes you sleep better at night I guess.

Agreed... waste of money. Spend it on tuning. Much more fun!
2008 Vito Sport- Household Star!

MNC911
Österreich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you see I'm in T8's corner.

I wouldn't own a Porsche without warranty. It's sad to say that Porsche cars are far from bullet proof especially with £price tags in comparison against other manufacturers. Looking back over my history I had a 986 ooh many many years ago & the IMS made chewing gum of the internals. I can absolutely assure anyone that when you receive a phone call to say it needs a new engine you'll feel sick for that brief moment until Porsche then say it's covered by warranty.

Since then I've had anything from a door window coming out of its rail to a new engine.

Maybe Demort will back me up here they're not that good and I'm sure Demort will reel off his day after day repairs he has. It's not all about oil and filter changes.

Even with the 997.2 it's more than paid to have warranty and they use OE parts. Nothing is too much trouble. No paperwork, no excess, no investigation cost , nothing. I get a courtesy car & mine comes back absolutely spotless. I don't even have to even leave the house, it's picked up and brought back. That's why I own a Porsche, the after care is fabulous.

deMort
Shanghai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ MNC911 , putting me on a spot here young man Very Happy

Disclaimer .. for the record i dont own a Porsche , im too poor ;P
but if i did i would have a warrenty for peace of mind .

So .. are they more flaky than other manufacturers , personally i dont think so .. T8's thread springs to mind .

Porsche have IMHO one philosophy and thats to make their cars go as fast as possible and handle as well as possible.

Ive seen the tech infos where they tell us how they have shaved 1 gram off the throttle pedal , 2 grams off the front shocks etc etc .

That will always bring compromises , they use cutting edge materials and technology to accomplish this and it doesn,t always work out .. IMS for example.

If you want a sportscar you buy a Porsche .. if you want reliablility then you buy a Volvo .

I could if i wish work on any other sportscar , Ferrari etc but i choose not too as IMHO Porsche have managed to get the entire package together in one machine .. its not just all about fast straight line speed .

Relialiblity is always going to be a compromise though .. F1 cars .. hmm ( Not even going to mention Ferrari's here )

Do Porsche look after their customers though , sadly not as well as i would like , they may say they are proud of all the Porsches still on the road but in reality any new mechanic joining Porsche will only get trained on the current Porduction models and NOT on anything before that so when a current Tech gets say a 993 he will have no training on it and will be on bonus , ie he has to repair it quickly .. not easy when you dont know the car .

Warrenty claims are now about wear and tear , not something i agree with , its an excuse to not pay out on a claim .. but ill not rant on about that .

For each model there are certain things that do fail .. if anyone wants a list then PM me and ill give my number , far easier to chat on the phone , and ill go through the common items that fail on a particular model but this does relate to the above and it also depends on how lucky you are .. basically how the cars has been used and what conditions it has been driven in .

If you live on the coast you will have more problems for example .

Overall though .. i still work on Porsche as i think they are the best sportscar out there .. 981 is the best though Razz

As always its just IMHO and im not interested in any arguments .. i ignore them Smile

Iain .

7pm - 9pm
At an Indy these days !

jonttt
Shanghai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

981 all the way Grin
2014 Porsche Boxster GTS My Journal
2017 BMW 740 Msport
2017 RR Evoque Autobiography

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norfolk & Idea wrote:
apollokre1d wrote:

Disagree... I am on my third Porsche and approaching the end of my 2nd year in my 997 Turbo and and honestly say a warranty on any of those cars would have been a complete waste of money.

Grin like any 'Insurance' it always seems like a waste of money if you never make a claim.

I've paid my annual whack on car insurance over the last 37 years and never made a claim. Paying a lot more for each years 'mechanical breakdown' cover would really be sticking in my craw if I'd not been so unlucky.

At the time of purchasing my 997T the extra 2.5% that it cost me to add 'peace of mind' when making such a financial investment seemed a no-brainer. The fact that the warranty cost has been recouped 10 x over in the last 2 years has proven me right.

Ironically I owned a 996 Carrera for 3.5 years without a warranty and it never missed a beat. Grin

With regard to the Jaguar - the decision to buy 'Jaguar Approved' was my wife's decision as it's actually her car (I just drive her everywhere in it) and if we weren't covered by the warranty I'd be in the divorce court for ever suggesting that we buy it to replace the ultra-reliable Lexus it replaced.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

apollokre1d
Magny-Cours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T8 wrote:
Norfolk & Idea wrote:
apollokre1d wrote:

Grin like any 'Insurance' it always seems like a waste of money if you never make a claim.

I've paid my annual whack on car insurance over the last 37 years and never made a claim. Paying a lot more for each years 'mechanical breakdown' cover would really be sticking in my craw if I'd not been so unlucky.

At the time of purchasing my 997T the extra 2.5% that it cost me to add 'peace of mind' when making such a financial investment seemed a no-brainer. The fact that the warranty cost has been recouped 10 x over in the last 2 years has proven me right.

Ironically I owned a 996 Carrera for 3.5 years without a warranty and it never missed a beat. Grin

With regard to the Jaguar - the decision to buy 'Jaguar Approved' was my wife's decision as it's actually her car (I just drive her everywhere in it) and if we weren't covered by the warranty I'd be in the divorce court for ever suggesting that we buy it to replace the ultra-reliable Lexus it replaced.

I will admit T8, in your case it was 100% the right decision Smile

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: