Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Daily driver advice. 996 turbo, 997 carerra s or cayman 981

Ojawed

Hi guys
I am looking at purchasing my first prosche.
I need some advice though.
It will be a daily driver doing around 10k miles a year.
I also want it to be fairly reliable.
I have narrowed it down to a 996 turbo a 997 carerra gen 2 or a 981 cayman.
The cayman is the newest so I assume it would be the most comfortable and reliable. But I would prefer a slightly larger car.

Any advice?

Re: Daily driver advice. 996 turbo, 997 carerra s or cayman

Ojawed said:
I am looking at purchasing my first prosche.
Any advice?

Adding Spell check would be a start... :sad:

Not really heard a bad thing about Cayman's but I am biased so I'll just leave my unhelpful spell check comment.

:thumb:

Buy a 996 Turbo :D

Welcome!

When you say 'larger' do you mean you need more space in it? If so, a 911 is probably your thing as they mostly have rear seats where a Cayman does not.

997 Gen 2 is IMO better value for money and a better prospect for 10k miles a year than a 996 Turbo, which has been fluffed up by folk going on about Mezger engines mostly without knowing what or who a Mezger is.

Robertb said:
Welcome!

When you say 'larger' do you mean you need more space in it? If so, a 911 is probably your thing as they mostly have rear seats where a Cayman does not.

997 Gen 2 is IMO better value for money and a better prospect for 10k miles a year than a 996 Turbo, which has been fluffed up by folk going on about Mezger engines mostly without knowing what or who a Mezger is.

Just make sure that 997 has a solid engine warranty.

If I didn't need the 4 seats, I'd go for a 981 Boxster. Does everything the Cayman does with the option of top down to hear it properly.

996T on 10k/pa? Will cost too much to buy and maintain now. But they are awesome. :grin:

Apologies for the spelling!
I blame the autocorrect on my Samsung.

By larger, I do mean having some rear seats, just for occasional rear passengers.

I am leaning towards a 997 gen 2. I have read a bit about the Mezger engines but unsure of the pro's and con's.

Thanks

If those rear passengers are over 12 forget it :D

Re: Daily driver advice. 996 turbo, 997 carerra s or cayman

Ojawed said:
It will be a daily driver doing around 10k miles a year.
I also want it to be fairly reliable.

I have narrowed it down to a 996 turbo a 997 carerra gen 2 or a 981 cayman.

The cayman is the newest so I assume it would be the most comfortable and reliable. But I would prefer a slightly larger car.

In your position I'd probably go for as new a car as my budget would stretch to.

None of them should depreciate much but a 996T would be higher mileage to start with and whilst the engine is reliable an older/higher mileage car would probably cost more to maintain.

There's more room in a 997 compared to a 981 as you can fold the seats down for extra storage but only kids would be comfortable in the back.

There's loads of Cayman fans on here and the 981 is very well thought of. I've driven several and the only thing I can ever say against it is ... "it's not a 911" :wink:

plynchy said:
If those rear passengers are over 12 forget it :D

Mmm - more like 8!

Budget?

I was in the same situation as the OP last year and after initially starting to look at 996 turbos I ended up with a 997 turbo. I probably would have gone for a cayman if I didnt need backseats for the kids as it would have cost half as much.

I do more miles than the OP, ive done 14k in mine since May.

Running cost wise, I dont think the turbo really costs any more than any other Porsche. Im looking at a minor service next week which will cost me £300 at my local indy so not hugely expensive. MOT, tax etc cost the same regardless of which Porsche. Insurance for me is £400 so not bad. It looks like the set of tyres on it will need replacing at around the 18,000 mile mark, and they are actually cheaper than the run flats my BMW 1 series had.

I had a couple of engine sensors go earlier in the year which cost £250 incl labour to fix and thats been the only other cost in nearly 12 months of ownership.

One thing which helped my man maths was the depreciation factor. I think if I sold mine now, id probably make a small profit over what I paid, or at least break even.

plynchy said:
Just make sure that 997 has a solid engine warranty.

I thought the Gen 2's were paragons of reliability no?

Probably the most versatile 911 is the Targa as it has a rear hatch, for even easier access to rear luggage area. Also a lovely full glass roof!

I'd love a Gen 2 Targa one day, loved my 993 targa.

There's a lengthy article in this months 911 & PW which may be scratching the surface of another issue with them.... :?:

Thank you for the responses so far.
My budget is £40k max.
A 981 cayman s would be within budget I guess.
A 997 gen 2 carrera 4s may be just out of budget.

Ojawed said:
My budget is £40k max.
A 981 cayman s would be within budget I guess.
A 997 gen 2 carrera 4s may be just out of budget.

You might struggle to get a decent choice of either of those cars for under £40k.

You'd have a lot more to choose from if looking at 981 non-S or 997.2 C2/C2S cars.

Both are excellent first Porsches and quick enough for most people. What's your car history?

Hi
Current car is a BMW 430d.
I don't need a diesel anymore.
Previous cars have been BMW M4, BMW 335i, c63 and e92 BMW M3.

Regards

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back