Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is this true?

Slayer

Is this really going to happen? Looks a bit harsh to get a fine for just going a mile over the limit! Not sure whether it has been posted before. I just saw it in writing! A weeks salary on top as fine.
http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/speeding-fines-to-rise-in-april-2017-what-it-could-mean-for-you
http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Speeding.pdf

Speeding (Revised 2017)

Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, s.89(1)
Effective from: 24 April 2017
PreviousNext
Triable only summarily:
Maximum: Level 3 fine (level 4 if motorway)
Offence range: Band A fine – Band C fine

User guide for this offence
Steps 1 and 2 – Determining the offence seriousness

The starting point applies to all offenders irrespective of plea or previous convictions.

Speed limit (mph) Recorded speed (mph)
20 41 and above 31 – 40 21 – 30
30 51 and above 41 – 50 31 – 40
40 66 and above 56 – 65 41 – 55
50 76 and above 66 – 75 51 – 65
60 91 and above 81 – 90 61 – 80
70 101 and above 91 – 100 71 – 90
Sentencing range Band C fine Band B fine Band A fine
Points/disqualification Disqualify 7 – 56 days OR 6 points Disqualify 7 – 28
days OR 4 – 6 points 3 points
Must endorse and may disqualify. If no disqualification impose 3 – 6 points
Where an offender is driving grossly in excess of the speed limit the court should consider a disqualification in excess of 56 days.
Band ranges
The court should then consider further adjustment for any aggravating or mitigating factors. The following is a non-exhaustive list of additional factual elements providing the context of the offence and factors relating to the offender. Identify whether any combination of these, or other relevant factors, should result in an upward or downward adjustment from the sentence arrived at so far.

Factors increasing seriousness

Statutory aggravating factors:

Previous convictions, having regard to a) the nature of the offence to which the conviction relates and its relevance to the current offence; and b) the time that has elapsed since the conviction
Offence committed whilst on bail
Other aggravating factors:

Offence committed on licence or post sentence supervision
Poor road or weather conditions
Driving LGV, HGV, PSV etc.
Towing caravan/trailer
Carrying passengers or heavy load
Driving for hire or reward
Evidence of unacceptable standard of driving over and above speed
Location e.g. near school
High level of traffic or pedestrians in the vicinity
Factors reducing seriousness or reflecting personal mitigation

No previous convictions or no relevant/recent convictions
Good character and/or exemplary conduct
Genuine emergency established

© Sentencing Council: 2017
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.Accept Read More :sad:

Link here;

http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Speeding.pdf

Surely it has always been applicable 1 mph over the speed limit. I think they generally allow 10% for inaccuracies etc but in theory it has probably always been the same speeding is speeding approach in the eye of the law. I suspect within 10% you'll still be okay. Interesting how the banding works though.

There is a harsh financial impact as well on top.. I think it is a weeks salary that you earn on top of everything.

Slayer said:
There is a harsh financial impact as well on top.. I think it is a weeks salary that you earn on top of everything.

I've always wondered how that works if you don't actually have an income. :?:

Surely it would make sense to grade the penalties to make speeding in 30's/residential areas more serious than on a motorway.

I would say that doing 80 on a motorway is demonstrably less dangerous than doing 40 in a 30, yet you are in the same penalty band which is stupid.

I don't think its changed that much from what it was ?

In practice I've always been led to believe that the police only prosecute on above 10% + 2mph above the speed limit so in a 30 zone 36 MPH recorded would get you prosecuted. Thats obviously actual speed so there may be factors of speedos overcorrecting as well but I think they are more accurate than the old analogue ones nowadays.

There has always been some form of ranking and I've always worked on 20MPH over the limit meaning its treated as more serious (100mph on motorway).

fixed penalties have always been just that ie fixed fines ie within the c20MPH excess unless mitigating issues. The more serious cases that go to court, fines are always subject to a form of means testing ie the more you earn the more you pay :roll: so again nothing really changed there ?

They have always been able to prosecute at 1MPH over the limit and throw the book at you if they want but in practice don't.

Thing is, 50 in a 30 is bordering on criminal IMO, but 90 on a motorway...?

Surely it should be worked out on a percentage basis.

different UK police forces have different tolerances also so you may be let off in one area for the same speed you are fined for in a different county...

T8 said:
Slayer said:

They make you sell one of your cars!

pzero said:
T8 said:
Slayer said:

They make you sell one of your cars!

That's a shame, I'd really miss that old Primera. :grin:

Robertb said:
I would say that doing 80 on a motorway is demonstrably less dangerous than doing 40 in a 30, yet you are in the same penalty band which is stupid.

Yep, doing 40 in a 30, you are going 33% faster than the limit - BUT - there are so many arbitrary speed limits when driving in a built up area, the speed limit could be anything from 20-40, with no discernable difference in the road / risk conditions between speed zones.
Used to be 30, 60, 70, and everyone always knew what speed to do where. Now there are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 zones and the whole setup is really just a scam to fine people, absolutely nothing to do with safety.

I've lived in Finland where there is a ticket for a smallish infraction, which I think is now 7kmh over the limit, and a 'day-fine' for a major infraction, say 20kmh over the limit.

A simple ticket is between 140-200eur.

A fine is a multiple of your annual salary divided by 365 (hence "day fine").

It seems much simpler to administer than the English system, and while it has the possibility of generating astoundingly large fines (especially to those who might have cashed options, or sold a company), it does seem to keep speeding at bay.

At least, I'm really careful to drive at up to 119kmh - and no more! - in a 100kmh zone... any more and I'd likely have to sell the car if I was busted. :cop:

Doesn't overwrite the ACPO guidelines on speeding. Whilst it's always been an offence to do 31 in a 30, you're extremely unlikely to be prosecuted for it and thus sentencing is irrelevant.

I don't see how it can be deemed fair that two people, both doing the same amount over the limit can get fined different amounts, dependant on salary. Sounds like something Labour have come up with.

I remember years ago I got done by a jobsworth biker copper for mis spacing a number plate. He actually had to get a ruler out to measure the distance between two of the letters to prove it was mis spaced :roll:

He proceeded to preach me on "what would happen if I as involved in an accident and someone reported the registration as it displayed". My response was that it would not take a rocket scientist to work out that a space is not a letter". I thought he was going to lose the plot. I decided to shut up.

He then proceeded to tell me he knew I had another car with a similar reg and he saw me in that he would "do me for it"

I got a fine for it (I think it was £60), its a none endorseable offence so no points.

The most annoying part of the whole thing was not the plonker copper (I was actually in the process of moving away from the area so knew I would never see him again) but the fact that they published in the local paper:

- my name
- street (not house number)
- the car I was driving (an expensive alpina 7 series BMW)

I was fuming.......I basically told people where the car was parked every night. Good job I was moving.

What made it even worse was there where also people who had been prosecuted for :

- no MOT
- provisional licence holders with no L plates showing

And they all got lower fines than me, presumably based on ability to pay :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back