Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tool lend required - Ring gaps

Harv

Suzuka
Quick q
Has anyone got a rotary bench mount ring gapping tool I could borrow? Otherwise I think I'll need to buy one (and it'll be for sale next week!)

Tolerances are much to exact to file by hand, top rings need to be upped by 1thou and the other by 3 thou.

I've already tried this on a home made dremel type tool with terrible results!

Cheers

:thumb:

Thanks for the link.

I've looked at a lot of these methods on line and don't believe they will offer the degree of accuracy I'm looking for.

There's some great kit about but it's finding a place that has it and knows how to use it. Want perfectly parallel end gaps and the same gaps consistently on every piston.

Harv, carefully clamp the ring in some smooth, clean vice jaws. Make sure that the vice jaws are level with each other, set the ring so that barely any of the ring gap needing attention is visible, then use a very sharp and flat needle file to dress the end, keeping the file parallel to the top of the jaws.

I have used this method for years despite owning a ring gapper. Would happily lend you that if someone else didn't already have it on loan :thumb: The guy will be using it for at least another two weeks. Personally, I would use the method described in paragraph one, just make sure that absolutely naff-all of the ring end is protruding above the smooth jaws and that you carefully stroke the file across it. Works a treat every time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back