Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing rad fan

pothole

Spa-Francorchamps
Anyone replaced a rad fan on a 997/987.

I understand it can be done through the wheel arch after removing the liner rather than removing the bumper, which is a pain in the arse, but can't find any specific info online.

Might be fairly obvious once I am in there, but would prefer to have an idea before I start. Thanks.

More of a pain in the **** trying to do it through the wheel arch, trust me.

Quite easy with the front bumper off.

On a 997 with the arch liner removed you can easily see the fan unlike the 996 but im not sure if you can actually replace it as ive not done one before.

It dont take 5 mins to get the liner out of the way so easy enough to have a look .. post some picts if it can be done though as i for one am now interested :D

EDIT

Btw they often stop working because of dirt build up which is easily fixed by blowing out the dirt .. yours has actually failed i take it ?

I had a go through the arch with the liner out and I believe it's doable but I was a bit short on time and decided to stuff it and have another go later with the bumper off. As mentioned above, despite the phaff of taking the bumper off, it may still be the less stressful method.

Re the status of the fan, I noticed it sounded pretty awful when I had the bumper off to clean the rads, so I think it's knackered. It stopped working once and yes that may have just been something trapping it, but it sounds rough and feels like it's on the way out when you spin it by hand. I've got the new fan so I may as well fit it at this stage!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilovecars
Back