Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 suspension - ohlins too harsh ?

Nik

Sao Paulo
So despite me thinking that my car was very sweet to drive (corroborated by at least two other people!), I discovered that the previous owner was conned by a certain outfit in Bristol who *allegedly* carried out a refresh of certain suspension components.

Let's not go into details but it now appears they faked a Koni damper by painting one of the OE dampers yellow. :sad:

So now it looks like I need to have the job done properly so the car is with Christian to get it into shape.

Sorry for the waffling intro, but does anyone have experience (or know someone who does!) of the ohlins kit for the 993 ?

My car is never going on track, and I'd like to keep decent ride quality without compromising good handling for fast road usage. Have heard he ohlins can be too harsh but thought I'd check if anyone had views before dismissing them ?

Barryn recently posted a photo of a set, ready to fit.

Worth giving Chris Franklin a call for some friendly advice on suitability? It would be a quick yes/no response and he'd probably have better insight than anybody.

The quality of Ohlins looks head and shoulders above everything else.

Hola!

I'd be checking out Nitrons kit for 993 or going the Porsche classic dampers by Bilstein route. Avoid polybushing at all costs as well. When are we having a bimble out? Hope your free early Easter Sunday morning!

Nik, I have recently put Porsche Classic Bilstein on. Steve and I will be out and about next weekend, if you fancy seeing what they are like.

Hi Nik,

Ohlins are top notch units and fully adjustable so no reason to feel too harsh if set up properly to your own preference.

I really liked my KW v3's on my 993. As set up by Parr they were such an improvement over standard. Even my wife said they were worth the money as the ride was so much more compliant!

After spending a fortune on refurbing my whole suspension the actual cost of the dampers was a reasonably small percentage of the overall cost; even so I didn't have the funds to ***** it up with the dampers and springs. It must be remembered that the springs dictate compliance maybe more so than the dampers.

I went the FSD/M033 route and for fast B route driving I believe it's spot on. Very very occasionally I feel it a little too soft, but in reality it's just about perfect for our poor undulating roads. I do feel this combo was the right route to go down, interestingly CG also believed it was a good balance for the 993.
Saying that I have dropped the front and rear tyre pressures by around 10% as the ride could feel at times a little harsh on bad roads, so fine tuning comfort vs harshness can be adjusted a little at least by adjusting PSI, i am now thinking of raising the pressures a little to stiffen things up. ...... it's all about compliance :)

highway said:
Hola!

I'd be checking out Nitrons kit for 993 or going the Porsche classic dampers by Bilstein route. Avoid polybushing at all costs as well. When are we having a bimble out? Hope your free early Easter Sunday morning!

Why avoid Polybushes? COG advised me to fit the super proones to my front suspension arms

I'm seriously tempted by the Ohlins. I currently have MO33s and Bilsteins, but having had Ohlins on two previous bikes and seeing the masssssive difference they made, and I mean really massive, I am really tempted.
My only reservation is to what extent they are set up for the 993, and road rather than track . . .
Quality is unsurpassed. :thumb:

I went FSD/m033 like wozy.

One thing I would add is give any setup a bit of time to bed in. Mine (subjectively anyway) feels better now after 6 months than it did when first installed.

The Superpro polybushes on my 993 don't add any undesirable NVH, which Chris indicated that they wouldn't.

A previous owner added horrible polybushes on my station car BMW and they are awful, with thuds and harsh vibrations coming through. They will be coming off when I address the suspension.

I've run ohlins, albeit it on a Renault Megane. Absolutely superb. The damping over our rough potholed roads was sublime and it'll be the first mod I do to my Carrera S once the OPC warranty is expired, unless it needs an engine rebuild first.

gunner said:
I went FSD/m033 like wozy.

One thing I would add is give any setup a bit of time to bed in. Mine (subjectively anyway) feels better now after 6 months than it did when first installed.

This ^^^^^. Quite bizarre but very true. :)

Chaps, no need to speculate at the moment, I'm removing the Koni fsd's MO33 (no issues with them btw, great shocks) to try out the Ohlins. The cars is booked in to Centre of gravity early May.

Fitted the front dampers yesterday and will do the rears when I get back from Spain in a couple of weeks.
Quality of the units are beyond reproach and they are lighter :D

Fitted some Superpro ARB's whilst I was there as well..

I do a thread about it after its complete..

Barry

Polybushes are less compliant than rubber. I had my car polybushes and in hindsight wish I'd stayed OEM.

highway said:
Polybushes are less compliant than rubber. I had my car polybushes and in hindsight wish I'd stayed OEM.

Well, you may have opened a can of worms there . . .!
I'm no engineer, but I want my Geo set up to stay as it was set, without any real movement. Rubber was probably the material of choice back in the day for a variety of reasons, not the least being comfort from compliance (attempts to increase comfort and reduce NVH can be seen throughout a vanilla 993).
The snag is that rubber bushes degrade from the moment you stick them on the relevant part (and that's before you even stick them on the car!).
:bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back