Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BHP numbers vs real world performance

FZP

Zandvoort
I've been for a spin in my car enjoying the sun and came across a C63S 17 plate. He also joined in and was surprised that it wasn't quicker. He inched away rather than disappeared into the sunset. Previously I test drove am AMG GT-S and was left underwhelmed by its performance. I had a similar experience with the Audi R8 V10+. Rapid cars, but nothing that would shame my 997.2S
Given that it has approx 30% more power, are the BHP numbers that we all covet as am indicator of a cars potential a false economy?

Twice the weight is probably an exaggeration but it will be much heavier. Pork has to be more aerodynamic. Also yours will be much better for putting the power down on the road.

My SL55 is pretty much 50% heavier than my 996 C2. Nearly 2 tons!

MC

FZP said:
I've been for a spin in my car enjoying the sun and came across a C63S 17 plate. He also joined in and was surprised that it wasn't quicker. He inched away rather than disappeared into the sunset. Previously I test drove am AMG GT-S and was left underwhelmed by its performance. I had a similar experience with the Audi R8 V10+. Rapid cars, but nothing that would shame my 997.2S
Given that it has approx 30% more power, are the BHP numbers that we all covet as am indicator of a cars potential a false economy?
I can't comment on a C63 but having driven a R8 V10 with 600 bhp plus and owning a 997.2S I'm pretty certain that a R8 V10 will show a clean pair of heels to the Porsche given anything close to equal driver ability.
The Audi is a truly great car; noise, traction, build quality and daily capability are very impressive, the only negatives where the over servo'd brakes and,beneath the initial impression, a lack of theatre.
Is it worth another 70-80k over my 997.2S is a tricky question, head says no but heart keeps hearing that v10 redline and the devil whispers in my ear.

Please let me be clear. I am in no way suggesting that my car was quicker, I wouldn't dare be that foolish. My point being that the C63 didn't leap away into the distance as I expected given that it had a 30% power differential. (Since found out +300kg to the Merc- but still able to do sub 4secs 0-62 according to Mercedes brochure.)
Ferrari California also didn't feel that quick in comparison. Perhaps it's time to test drive a Turbo☺

A few years ago I had a spirited drive in my old 996 C4S with a 14 plate (i think) C63 and was inching ahead at points on the dual carriageway. My friends didn't believe me until last year when we were out together, me in the turbo and him in a C2. We came across another c63 and he was amazed at how his 996.1 was just as quick as the merc.

My 986s has exactly the same real world straight line speed as a 17 plate S3 Audi. I've done several standing start drag runs onto a dual carriageway with a local one and there isn't anything in it at all. In fact I would say the boxster is slightly quicker. This is evidenced by the 1/4 mile time of the S3 and the 1/4 mile time I got on vBox a few months ago in the boxster.

These so called Porsche beaters... Don't make me laugh!

:grin:

FZP said:
Please let me be clear. I am in no way suggesting that my car was quicker, I wouldn't dare be that foolish. My point being that the C63 didn't leap away into the distance as I expected given that it had a 30% power differential. (Since found out +300kg to the Merc- but still able to do sub 4secs 0-62 according to Mercedes brochure.)
Ferrari California also didn't feel that quick in comparison. Perhaps it's time to test drive a Turbo☺
Fair point FZP and I didn't mean to come across as having a dig, on the road the gap between paper and real world performance is certainly reduced. I think we are of like minds in that unless you are on a track the real world difference is not as dramatic as some would have you believe.
In my case, the obvious and probably cheaper step change in performance option is the turbo route. It's a personal issue for me as I still hanker after a N/A buzz. As time moves on the options on that front have become more limited and hence the appeal of the R8 / GT3 or a CLR lightweight approach. No right answers, it simply comes down to what floats your boat :thumbs:

I think the Porsche figures are quite conservative and a high mile car can easily usurp the quoted figures much to the consternation of owners of other marques!

I also had a play with a C63S a couple of months ago, very twisty roads, on the straights he made a few yards but in the bends I pulled away very easily, I was also surprised!! Maybe he wasn't trying too hard but... I doubt it :D

I've had three 911s and they have all performed much better than the figures would suggest. :D The weight distribution may be a 'little' biased to the rear, but that gives them phenomenal traction which really helps with the acceleration. :thumbs:

This means my turbo would potentially be just as fast as c63s :thumbs:

e92 said:
This means my turbo would potentially be just as fast as c63s :thumbs:

I'd say easily in the real world. Who cares how fast it goes in a straight line if it wobbles around corners!

Merc lie about figures. BIG TIME!

Full of No. 2s

Driver balls, driver ability and driver stupidity will always play it's part.

Think of it this way, if a specific bend has a top speed of 60mph and anything above that is going to end in tears. Then it all comes down to the above three things.

I was on track one day on the R1 and Neil Mckenzie whooped all our asses on a Goldwing, probably listening to Enya or whale music.

In the right hands any car is faster. The only time this doesn't apply is on motorways, but where is the fun in that.

I agree with the previous comment, and maybe stick my neck on the block and sat a Boxster can probability beat a 911 in the real twisties.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back