Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Beware Hire Car companies and named drivers

RJKflyer

Hire car provided as loan vehicle to my wife after non-fault accident.

They asked for my DL to add me to drive, duly emailed.

Same company THEN confirmed to my wife that I WAS NOW covered on the Insurance for that vehicle.

Turns out, after no response to emails requesting written confirmation, and many calls to largely ineffectual/evasive call centres that there was NO REORD OF ME AS NAMED DRIVER, as they hadn't received any of my emails with Driving Licence details.

Spoke to originating hire car depot, and the evasive words were "if you're on her original car Insurance, you're eligible to drive the hire car" but under duress the truth was extracted which is that without sight and proof of licence details YOU ARE NOT COVERED TO DRIVE THE CAR. So I wasn't covered.

Can't trust anyone...

Had exactly the same situation happen to me about 2 years ago.

Wife had a loan car whilst her car was being repaired. I'm a named driver on her policy but I was not covered to drive the loan car even though I provided licence details. Something about the small print in the Insurance T&Cs.

A grey area, and one I would reckon has the potential to go spectacularly wrong. :nooo:

DRZ911 said:
Had exactly the same situation happen to me about 2 years ago.

Wife had a loan car whilst her car was being repaired. I'm a named driver on her policy but I was not covered to drive the loan car even though I provided licence details. Something about the small print in the Insurance T&Cs.

A grey area, and one I would reckon has the potential to go spectacularly wrong. :nooo:

Yes and you can imagine who will end up in Court with the conviction/penalty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back