Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To jet wash or not?

HomersSpiceRack

Having put up with the usual cam cover oil leak at the end of last year, I don't use my 993 during the winter except for the nicest of days, I decided to get down to replacing the gaskets this weekend.

In truth this has drifted into a decent service as well and I'll probably do the gearbox oil and filter.

However, there is a nice covering of oil under the car and I was going to use my jet washer on low pressure hot wash to give it all a clean down. Now question is can I do the same in the engine bay, not or with some care/covering?

I have done this with care on a load of cars with no ill effect but I also have a 500SL and I am told that you only have to say jet washer and they run rough.

Personally I wouldn't ........ but that is not saying it can't be done ...... :dont know:

Well I did. It to mine. Sprayed with degreaser, washed down with standard Karcher high pressure cold. Blocked off the air intake with plastic bag and elastic bands and similarly covered the alarm siren. Gave it a good spray with vinyl and rubber cleaner and wiped down with cloths.

The funny part was leaving the deck lid open all night to dry off and having the neighbours knocking on my door in the morning worried I might have had fallen down the stairs and broken my neck. They couldn't believe I would have left my pride and joy like that.

All been fine - no problems at all.

I must admit I'm tempted. I have the ancillaries removed at the moment so that I can change the top plugs so it's a great time to give it all a good clean down.

Spray it with degreasant and blast away, I've done it with both my Porsche's for many years no problem

The only thing I would say is that I dry with compressed air and maybe don't cane the alarm system and the stickers on the electrics box

These old air-cooled engines are kind of open to the elements anyway and have a degree of water protection on the high tension side, one of the disadvantages of the billet rocker covers is they negate the water protection a bit, well some (cheaper ones) do.

Protect the air intake, spray and brush in Gunk or similar, I do mine with the engine running do not blast the alternator or electrics etc.
Give it a few miles run to dry out.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back