Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Yellowing headlights - how to treat?

jerzybondov

I've had a search on here but not had much luck finding a thread on the topic.

What is the solution for headlights that are starting to yellow off? The internet verdict seems to be this is from UV exposure (and certainly having seen old 911s on the Riviera that would seem to be borne out).

Is it something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Head...d=1490990660&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+polishing+kit

And how do you stop the headlights going yellow again over time? Do you need to protect them again after sanding and treatment?

I'll be watching this one. One of mine has started to yellow slightly.

I see it all the time at work, the mk4 astra seams to be the worst. The kit you linked in works on those well as the weathering is all on the outside. I've even cleaned up some with G3 compound and a lot of elbow grease.

But...
The problem with mine, probably yours too is that the yellowing is internal to the lamp.

Essentially, you need to sand off the protective layer which has yellowed, then polish til its clear. That 3m kit has everything you need (don't use any other kits, I have and there are no short cuts). I did my 4S's a few weeks ago, along with two other cars previously over a year or so. The instructions in the kit are very good, also watch the 3m youtube video.

I recommend ear plugs and a face mask.

To protect, use a UV sealant- I used this which has worked fine on my other cars for nearly a year of living outside.
http://www.glasspolishshop.com/consumables/polishing-compounds/Surface-Sealant

They won't go yellow again unless you don't get all the top layer off. Keep working with the 500 grit discs (you may want to order another set of the 3m 500 grit pads as they don't last long) til the surface is even and frosted, with no shiny bits left.

Then use the 800 grit and the trizact disc before compounding. These are the most fun stages. There may be times during the 500 grit stage you wonder what you've done, but keep at it, be patient and systematic.

All the way through, keep wiping the disc and the light and inspecting frequently. Keep the disc speed quite slow on the 500 grit to prevent the surface overheating and scoring. Don't persevere with a worn out 500 disc.

Its best to remove the light from the car (very easy) to polish them, then spend some time cleaning underneath the rubber seals when you've finished.

They come up like new, but in my experience budget on at least 90-120 mins per light to do a proper job.

Bear in mind the lights surface without the top protectant layer will scratch a little more easily than with the OE finish- but no more easily than paint or lacquer, so just take care when wiping/washing.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more tips! :thumb:

Snow foam does the same job. It has the right mix of chemicals to sort it out for some reason.

Get a snow foam Lance from eBay with some decent stuff , attach to your pressure washer and blast away.

Alot easier than sanding ;-)

I did the outlaws car the other week. Might take two lots/ tries but it does work.

this is the stuff I use: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIO...560317?hash=item3f3d4f817d:g:RbgAAOxyCepSb8AA

with a Nilfisk 110 pressure washer and lance. job done.

Hmm, I have tried the sand polish and rub on UV coating and its good for up to a year or two. Its not a very long term solution.

I prefer to sand them down and move through the grades to 2000 grit and instead of polishing apply a 2 pack clear coat, then a very light sand and cut/polish. I note that its been 5 years since I did my X5, and its still looking perfect. I've prob done about 20 cars for family and friends and its very effective.

3m headlight restore kit £20-£25 plus hours of labour risking knackering it up and the risk of buying a new headlight ££££s

Or as I did

Pay £80 for an expert to do it in an hour or so, who won't balls it up and have Insurance as back up.

That's what I would like to do if I can find someone locally (Harpenden). Recommendations anyone?

Any body shop should do. I got mine done about 5 months ago. They were really bad, to the point where I was struggling to see at night time ha. Dropped them off and picked them up about an hour later, like brand new!

I need to do this too. Mine are looking shabby yo say the least

Andrew173 said:
I'll be watching this one. One of mine has started to yellow slightly.

I see it all the time at work, the mk4 astra seams to be the worst. The kit you linked in works on those well as the weathering is all on the outside. I've even cleaned up some with G3 compound and a lot of elbow grease.

But...
The problem with mine, probably yours too is that the yellowing is internal to the lamp.

Did mine last week and found that one is dull on the inside, I had some condensation over the winter and that seems to have faded it.

Has anyone had the nerve to follow the youtube guy who took his apart?

Mike

JAZ have moved from Wembley to near me. They charge £70+VAT per light and use the bunch in Wembley they used to use - E&A Coachworks, I think. I trust JAZ.

Panda996 said:
http://www.foggyheadlights.co.uk/

Had mine done for £45 each by Lucien, based in Slough but a mobile service all around South East
Go through website or email him direct on [email protected]

Sounds like a bargain... did you see what process he used?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back