Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After 6 years without a Porsche...

Fastlane

Spa-Francorchamps
I thought I'd introduce myself as I have been lurking on here for a few months whilst looking into buying a 996. On Saturday, after over 6 years away from the Porsche fold, I will be collecting a 996 from a well known forum member.

I have previously owned a few Porsches, including a (ropey) 1986 928 S4 (when I was 27, it was my first Porsche and I was far too excited to bother with a PPI) then a mint 1994 968 Sport, whilst I persuaded my girlfriend (now wife) to buy a 1984 924 and then a 1986 924S. We then had our first daughter and so I sold the 968 and was Porsche-less for 4 years but had a few other nice cars along the way - a 2004 Clio V6, 2001 VX220, 2003 VX220 turbo, 1998 E55 AMG (and an Audi A2!).

In April 2006, I bought my pride and joy - a LHD non-sunroof 1992 Zermatt Silver 964 3.3 Turbo (one of only 2 1992 Zermatt Silver 964 turbos in the World that I am aware of).

I also briefly owned another LHD 964 turbo which I bought from a friend and sold again to a guy in Sweden.

I enclose a great shot of them both (probably worth well over £200k now!)

In 2009, I left my corporate job and bought a franchise, providing care at home for elderly people, down in Cornwall and moved from West Oxfordshire to just outside Truro. In order to fund the business, in 2010 I made the decision to sell the Zermatt 964 turbo and it was bought by a psychiatrist from Rome - he paid £27.5k for it! It now lives in an underground car park in Monaco, next to his 2 other Porsches and is very rarely used...

Anyway, this is a great forum and I look forward to picking your collective brains over the coming months and hopefully years.

I will return with pictures of my new acquisition and some questions no doubt!

Cheers,

Tim. :thumb:

Attachments

• dsc00256_169.jpg
    dsc00256_169.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 9,048
  • dsc00356_345.jpg
    dsc00356_345.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 9,048
  • dscf0005_2_202.jpg
    dscf0005_2_202.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 9,048
Great stories... what were the 964 turbos like to drive?

Looking forward to pics of the 996 when you get it!

:welcome: Tim,

Love the 964 turbo's.

I have had a similar Porsche history and was 8 years without a Porsche after selling my 964 3.6 Turbo in 2008 for £38.5k and only 34k on the clock. I shudder to think how much it would be worth now. But hey ho life goes on.

Enjoy your car when you get it.

:thumb:

:welcome: back to 911 ownership Tim.

Welcome Tim.

I recognise your 964s from P'heads a few years ago. I'm another ex owner who had to go without for a while.
The 996s are still great 911s and a nice early C2 isn't a million miles away from the 964. A bit more refined and watered down (no pun intended) but they still feel very much alive in steering feel etc. Quicker though and better sounding at full revs with an air filter on.

I sold my 964 to buy my mate Paul's GT3. Both gone now.

The best looking air cooled 911 in my opinion ....

These are all beautiful...

Terry

I always preferred the 930/964 to the 993 shape. Im on the fence with 996,(i think the front end does look very aggressive in c4s/turbo form but its obviously a massive styling change which 997/991 have kind of gone back to the roots almost.

Thanks for the welcome guys, getting excited. Only 1 more sleep!

Jerzy - Not the fastest thing around the twisties but bloody quick in a straight line and it sounded fantastic - mine had around 370bhp, courtesy of a hybrid turbo, B&B full system and Tial wastegate (plus a top end rebuild).

stewhp - God, that must be the best part of £200k now! Great thing hindsight...

Mark - Yes I spent far too much time on Pistonheads and especially Rennlist. I remember your car too - looked lovely, as did the GT3.

I still think the 964 turbo with Speedlines is one of the sexiest cars ever made, especially the turbo S Leichtbau. When I bought mine in April 2006 from Gmund cars, Nick Faldo's old turbo s was being readied to go off to its new owner in Hong Kong - he paid £55k for it! :eek:

I sold my 3.3 a couple of months ago. They are great looking and sounding cars. Proper build quality as well. I'd like to replace it with a nice 3.4 C2 if I could find one.
If it consoles you any, the 3.3 is not worth anything like £200k.
Low miles perfect 3.6 maybe. :)

Nice car history buddy :thumb:
Look forward to seeing the pics of the new one

g911omr said:
I sold my 3.3 a couple of months ago. They are great looking and sounding cars. Proper build quality as well. I'd like to replace it with a nice 3.4 C2 if I could find one.
If it consoles you any, the 3.3 is not worth anything like £200k.
Low miles perfect 3.6 maybe. :)

They are great cars - not many really good 996s around, even so called good ones need shed loads spending on them. My new one is a C4 - would have preferred a C2, but it is a really lovely car that meets all my other criteria - low mileage, all the major work done, rare colour, cup kit, etc.

BTW £200k was for the two 3.3's I had at one point, which I sold for £52.5k in total...

Ah. I stand corrected....
I think I know the car you are referring to.
It is indeed a nice car and very well cared for and maintained. Cracking colour as well. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

g911omr said:
Ah. I stand corrected....
I think I know the car you are referring to.
It is indeed a nice car and very well cared for and maintained. Cracking colour as well. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

I'm sure I will! :D

996lee said:
Nice car history buddy :thumb:
Look forward to seeing the pics of the new one

Thank you - I like your car very much! 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back