Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audio upgrade

rstaichi

Silverstone
Hi all , i'm looking in the next week to upgrade my audio in the car new everything but kind of keeping it all looking factory no silly boy racer stuff! Has anyone on here have the Becker head unit, if so whats it like :thumb:

Don't all 993s come with a Becker as standard? The one in mine is pretty shoite compared to modern stuff but at least looks period.

Fitted a hands free kit to mine recently and asked for opinions on what to get. Couple of people really dislike the Becker unit and think they are a waste of money given how old the tech is:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=233&t=1654020

My speakers were swapped out some months back too with Rainbow Audio ones which fit the original grills. Old Nokia units were utterly pointless looking at them once out of the car as the cones had disintegrated. New ones obviously sound better but in all honesty, without an amp and some sort of sub the sound is still woeful compared to a modern car standard set up. For me adding a sub and an amp would be too painful to look at and know I was also sapping the performance of the car by increasing its weight.

If you want "factory period" look then it's got to be Becker, although Continental now make a decent looking alternative.

Not sure how much you'd notice performance being sapped by the weight of an amp ;-) but several here have amps that fit inside the spare wheel (mine does that). Adding a decent amp to a Becker is possible, I understand. I went with JL Audio amp because it's very small (though not cheap).

Subs don't have to be huge, you can put a Pioneer powered sub under the drivers seat, again there's 2 or 3 of us here with that set-up. I'm not sure how simple it is to connect that to a Becker (I use a modern HU).

Speakers - if they are original then you'll need to find a bin. Front are easy to replace without changing the original grill or cutting any new holes. I think there are two alternatives for the rear that don't involve any visual changes or cutting - I have JBL and I forget the other.

That's the one! I knew there was a second option for the rear, but didn't realise it was Morel (should have guessed, though not sure why I ended up with Morel at the front but JBL in the rear - no matter).

Amp in spare wheel, sub under seat - definitely the way forward ;-)

I went with the VDO (continental) head unit, mine has a USB port in the front so with a small USB stick you have a fair amount of space for your music. Obviously VDO is the same make as our instruments so fits in well, I believe a Bluetooth version is also available. As others have said the old Nokia speakers are probably toast by now, so worth changing.

20160628_120814_zpsy9r3edy8.jpg

Think i will stick with the Alpine unit it's a simple head unit and wouldnt look out of place in the car, i really like the look of the Becker but the lack of tech is putting me off ( no bluetooth for tunes from your phone )
I'm having the sub mounted under the near side footwell i will loose the glovebox space as it'll be fabricated to fit. If i ever sell the car it can all be put back to stock. I can't put up with the crappy speakers any longer :frustrated: it's booked in next week for the work, i will post pics of the upgrade

Tobesetc said:
Subs don't have to be huge, you can put a Pioneer powered sub under the drivers seat, again there's 2 or 3 of us here with that set-up. I'm not sure how simple it is to connect that to a Becker (I use a modern HU).

Do these things actually fit under the seat and not poke out? Might be a solution I could live with. Would be good to see how others rate theirs. Will look for a thread on here – if the measurements fit for one of these I'd be happy to give it a try.

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/car-...0-afe-amplified-under-seat-car-subwoofer.html

intelli_sub.png

Tobesetc said:
...I think there are two alternatives for the rear that don't involve any visual changes or cutting - I have JBL and I forget the other.

I put the Rainbow Audio ones in my car. Only allowance I had to make was turning the little base bracket upside down to gain 2 or 3mm for the larger magnets to clear. Original Porsche grills go straight on. Looks stock. If anyone wants some they are these:

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/car-...-6-dream-line-2-way-coaxial-car-speakers.html

Or dispense with the audio and fit an RS blanking plate to the aperture!

Can't believe how fantastic this is, and with upgraded door speakers great audio quality, plus you get sat nav and phone connectivity as well of course!

Like with all these units though, make sure if you play your music from your phone library, you have hifi quality audio files.

32682543056_2421d4cb07_c.jpg

MikeRSR said:
Can't believe how fantastic this is, and with upgraded door speakers great audio quality, plus you get sat nav and phone connectivity as well of course!

Like with all these units though, make sure if you play your music from your phone library, you have hifi quality audio files.

32682543056_2421d4cb07_c.jpg

Looks really smart. 8)

If you like your in car music you need a sub, somewhere.
You need an amp. You need good quality speakers. You need a period looking HU. Then you need to ensure the fitting is in factory locations.

A car without a radio wouldn't be my idea of fun at all.

The Pioneer subs are self powered. The Becker Grand Prixs and Indis have a sub out so it's plug and play with that set up, and once set up you can change the sub level on the HU, which is pretty slick.

The powered subwoofers (Focal iBus 20/Pioneer/etc) can also fit in the passenger foot well. It's the size of a phonebook (remember them!), and about an inch thick.

There is a lot of carpet there which means a small reduction in leg room in the passenger size. This only becomes a problem if your passenger is a member of the Harlem Globetrotters!

In terms of what they produce, it's about 40-50Hz, which is better than the 6.5 inch component speakers in the door (about 60Hz). What it means is your bass guitars will sound richer, but you might be disappointed if you like organ music (this goes down to 20Hz).

...go for under seat, then when you turn up the volume you get a back massage as well ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back