Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To sell or not to sell? - Gen 1 - 997 2S

obaluba

Morning all,

So, here's the dilemma. Do I sell my Gen 1 997 2S or keep it? I've had it for 6 years and enjoyed every minute of it, but i find recently i'm hankering for a change.

Now comes the issue. I don't want to spend ridiculous money on another car <45k, i also now have a young family. We also have a larger car which can transport junior and all his junk about which is absolutely fine, but as my 997 is an 05, I'm hankering after some of the creature comforts that you find in most other cars (decent blue tooth!)

After racking my brain for what seems like an age, the only car i keep coming back to is a B8 Audi RS4 Avant. I've been to have a look at a couple, but wondering if i got one would i regret it. They are also due to be replaced soon.

I also fancy something bigger, but there's a part of me which says 'Don't sell the 911 you fool' Do i just get something bigger but cheaper and keep both? I don't do a huge amount of miles, so thought that was a bit of a waste of money.

My other thought is depreciation.. Have Gen 1's balanced out now, will they ever appreciate or is it a slippery 996 esq slope for the 997 Gen1?

Finally, the last and very dubious thought was to keep it and give it to my son when he's older. (he's 1.5!) But will he want a very old Porsche in 18 years or whatever!

The car in question:

All comments are gratefully received!

Attachments

• p911_201.jpg
    p911_201.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 5,251
Stunning and I think you'll always regret selling her - they're getting cooler and better looking every year. I'd just add a Golf GTI mk 7 (amazing and quite spacious small car with all the creature comforts) and keep the 997 for fun use. :thumbs:

I think you'll get bored of having a "normal" car, that 90% of people you talk to won't appreciate. The 911 will always be special, even to the non-enthusiast!

Why not invest a few £100's and get a decent stereo headunit installed that has bluetooth? Mine automatically connects when I turn the car on, allows me to play music from either a CD, USB, Aux or Bluetooth directly, and obviously offers bluetooth calling etc.

What else are you looking for in the modcons section?

I really can't see your 997 depreciating much, if at all.

If you still love driving the car and are only looking for some creature comforts and better practicality in a daily driver I'd spend your 'cost to change' budget on a second car.

You can always revisit the situation in 12/24 months time.

I have a small family on the way (wife is due to give birth in September). We are discussing selling the 911 and buying a good family car, OR keeping the 911 and buying a daily, such as a newish Ford Focus / VW Golf. This will be for her to use during the week.

I only use the 911 at weekends so the wife will need a comfy daily for herself. I think if I sold my 911 I'd regret it, and would hanker for another within a few short months, and I predict you'd feel the same way. Mod Cons aside, they are outstanding cars and have a way of getting underneath your skin.

If you can logistically manage to keep it, then keep it.

P.S - great photo of your car by the way. That colour with the Carrera classics looks superb. :thumb:

Jay. said:
I think you'll get bored of having a "normal" car, that 90% of people you talk to won't appreciate. The 911 will always be special, even to the non-enthusiast!

Why not invest a few £100's and get a decent stereo headunit installed that has bluetooth? Mine automatically connects when I turn the car on, allows me to play music from either a CD, USB, Aux or Bluetooth directly, and obviously offers bluetooth calling etc.

What else are you looking for in the modcons section?

This is what I was going to say.

If in 18 years time your son says "no I don't want a 911" you will be on Jeremy Kyle having a DNA test cos you know he isn't yours!!!!! ;) Is that even a concern?

But seriously, the PCM2.1 is an awful lump of awfulness. Find some of the threads discussing options like my Pioneer SPH DA120 and so on. It is well worth doing

Thanks for the replies all! Much appreciated.

Perhaps I need to do a bit of research into a new head unit that accepts Bose then!

It's a shame the cheap deals on the Golf R's of last year are no more!

obaluba said:
Thanks for the replies all! Much appreciated.

Perhaps I need to do a bit of research into a new head unit that accepts Bose then!

It's a shame the cheap deals on the Golf R's of last year are no more!

Those R deals will be here again at the end of the year when the new R makes it to these shores in plentiful numbers. There's only about 20 unregistered R's left in the country so dealers holding out for top money. This will all change soon.

What about a 3 year old R with under 10,000 miles? They have depreciated quite a bit. Wonderful car.

Yeah worth looking into, i also saw a good one one a BMW 140M which was pretty reasonable as well.

On another note, the Pioneer head unit mentioned above, can that connect to Bose and will it work with the Steering remote control?

thanks!

You can get other creature comforts retrofitted too, for example rain sensing wipers and cruise control.

Buy a Generation 2 for circa £45k, with the better PCM unit :D

LR75 said:
Is the obvious answer!
Which website am I on? Can't believe people have suggested Golfs and 1 series before mentioning the obvious upgrade to a Gen 2 997 :)

Shaoxter said:
LR75 said:
Is the obvious answer!
Which website am I on? Can't believe people have suggested Golfs and 1 series before mentioning the obvious upgrade to a Gen 2 997 :)

I'm as disgusted as you!

My Kenwood double din unit connects to my bose system perfectly, but I don't have wheel controls which I'd like... Maybe they can be retrofitted?

Ive got a 996 so it never came with the wheel controls as standard, but I could use a tiptronic wheel with the switches, or an aftermarket wheel.

My SPH DA120 does work to Bose (I dont have Bose) but know others who have it working and I have steering wheel controls working perfectly, you just need another lead (circa £250) to make it all work.

As for PCM3, its still a pile of crap compared to a modern unit with things like apple carplay, android auto and mirrorlink etc etc.

OP, my wifes BMW M240i is rather spectacular as well, M135i's are now pretty good value and a massive amount of car as a daily. Wife's has 335bhp and 369ft/lb torque!

small addition, what the SPH DA120 doesn't have is DAB, but not really an issue unless you live somewhere which has good DAB reception. Even in Hertford, 25 miles out of central london, I get patchy DAB reception in the wife's car and when in exmoor a couple of weeks ago it was literally non existant.

Also, a PCM2.1 can be sold for around £350 to £400, so can make a large dent in the cost of upgrading the head unit.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back