Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 7
997 : 2004- 63
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 11
Cayman : 2005- 19
Cayenne : 2003- 9
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 5
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

windflowers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Defensive parking and keeping a car ding-free Reply with quote

The other day I drove my wife's Mini Cooper to the supermarket and parked in a marked slot. Fifteen minutes later I came out to find a samaritan had put a note under the wipers to the effect they'd seen a car reverse into the front of the Mini. The reg number was included. Fortunately there was only a surface mark so no action needed.

Years ago I had a show car which got admiring looks wherever I went. The problem was, it was a magnet. One evening I parked at a sports club to play a team match. At the rear of the premises was a massive car park with only one car present (the rest were all parked at the front). After the match I came out and guess what? There were two other cars in the rear car park each side of mine! What the hell?

Further back when I had a newish MG I always aimed to park defensively but still got door dings and one ar$e put a dent in the rear. Now as a new Porsche owner as of March '17 I have stirring memories of parking pitfalls. To hopefully avoid dings and dents from careless or deliberate oiks I have this to offer, but would appreciate any tips others may have:-

1 - Aim to park at the end of a parking row of so there is only one side of your car potentially vulnerable to damage.
2 - If you have to park between vehicles always choose the nicest ones because those owners will probably take care of their car and not open their door/s on yours.
3 - As with 2, if you have to park on the street aim for an end space rather than being sandwiched between two vehicles.
4 - Notwithstanding 'magnetic' attraction, park in the farthest space available from the shop/place you're visiting. Most folk going shopping have an aversion to walking and are unlikely to park far away.
5 - Avoid parking next to people carriers full of kids that will think nothing of flinging open doors / bouncing footballs / having a skirmish, etc. next to your car.
6 - I've seen this done several times but only ever once myself:- Take a photo of your parked car and the adjacent ones before leaving it.
7 - If you're eating out or stopping for a coffee, leave the car parked in view and watch when folk arrive and park close to it.

Am I just being paranoid?! Periodic dents and dings suggests not. And over the years I've witnessed several instances of people parking and shunting the car in front or behind. Duh.

Last edited by windflowers on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Palladium
Watkins Glen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you are not being paranoid, you are living in a chav filled society.

I park right at the empty end of the supermarket and walk miles to the shop, never park near the trolley dump either.

I actually find myself avoiding people more and more, the older i get, not good i know, but most people don't give a fk about other people.

Now if i am in my van, i park anywhere, but i am mindful of other cars and squeeze my way out and make sure the wind doesn't blow the door onto someones car.

chaser
Österreich

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I make my living from repairing those little dings and dents I should really encourage you to just park where you like and not worry about them Hand

But I share your paranoia. I am ultra fussy about where I park. A small ding may not worry me too much, yes I will be pee`d off but the real worry for me is paint damage. I just hate having my cars painted even though I have spent most of my working life in bodyshops.

I take all the same precautions as you, park at the far end of the supermarket car park, end of a row of cars etc.

FZP
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 4 and the magnetic attraction thing. I have on numerous occasions parked nowhere near anyone else to find a car either side and a million free spaces. I don't get it

Sarfend
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZP wrote:
Number 4 and the magnetic attraction thing. I have on numerous occasions parked nowhere near anyone else to find a car either side and a million free spaces. I don't get it

Yup. I call it the politics of parking. Its just crazy. Look on it this way, your car is so great that others want to park next to it to get some reflected glory. Or they are to$$er$. nooo

alex yates
Shanghai
Shanghai

2000 Porsche 996 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - over flow car park at a local boozer and the normal car park was half empty. Parked on the empty over fill, come out an hour later to this:

Jay.
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the corners of car parks, they typically try and fit in weird parking spots which are usually massive - you can park in the middle of them and quite comfortably open your doors fully. I used these spaces 90% of the time as they're too far away for most people too.

911TEL
Imola

2011 Porsche 997 Turbo S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex yates wrote:
Yep - over flow car park at a local boozer and the normal car park was half empty. Parked on the empty over fill, come out an hour later to this:

That's just typical isn't it ....I find this happens wherever I park !

You can be miles from anyone , come out and there is some knob parked right up next to me...!
SL 55 AMG Obsidian Black
Brompton M6R Powder Blue/Orange
Brompton S2L Black edition
(All current)

mzmini
Suzuka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia? We all suffer from it We're planning a road trip to Europe in May and are forever researching the parking facilities via reviews and google earth before booking anything.... thumbsup
2012 VW Polo

1964 1071 Cooper S
1964 1071 Cooper S 1991 Pirelli Classic winner
1971 1275 Cooper S as new time warp
1996 106 Peugeot van (pride of the fleet)

Phil 997
Yas Marina

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here the answer Grin Grin unless you have a very big dog Thumb

rear_bumper_protector_blocker.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.36 KB
 Viewed:  1424 Time(s)

rear_bumper_protector_blocker.jpg

front_bumper_protector.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.31 KB
 Viewed:  1424 Time(s)

front_bumper_protector.jpg

Phil 997
Yas Marina

2006 Porsche 911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good as its magnetic and fixes inside the car to stop it getting knicked

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-STANDARD-Removable-Protection/dp/B000XEFKEE

or this

https://tinyurl.com/mrzpzo9

Outliar
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911TEL wrote:
alex yates wrote:

That's just typical isn't it ....I find this happens wherever I park !

You can be miles from anyone , come out and there is some knob parked right up next to me...!

Another possible explanation: people are lemmings, and the British love nothing more than an orderly queue (or neat parking)... I have to admit, I do the same if there is an empty car park. Must be an unconscious insecurity thing? Dont know

I am equally as paranoid and take all these measures. I left my mum in the 993 'on guard' once in a tight car park - just had to pop out for 5 mins - and came back to a big ding on the passenger side. Some lady in a banged up 4x4 had swung her door open and just walked off without apology or even acknowledgement. Drives me mad... it's been de-dinged since.

Every time I return to the car, I'm on the search for dings... I've been known to walk away, spot something I thought I saw, and go back and peer at it from every imaginable angle. The neighbours have seen this behaviour rather too often, and must think I'm OCD or something Very Happy

I once saw in a sailing magazine, on the letters page, a picture of a car with boat fenders hung from both doors... made me chuckle...

Outliar
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
This is good as its magnetic and fixes inside the car to stop it getting knicked

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Shox-STANDARD-Removable-Protection/dp/B000XEFKEE

or this

https://tinyurl.com/mrzpzo9

Great as long as the car is nice and clean, otherwise you'd get scratches putting it on and taking it off?

I think I'll have to design a robot car defender. It'll probably take the whole boot up, weigh a tonne, but it'll move in the way of any car that tries to park next to me. It'll look scary so kids get out the other side. And it'll kick any ding offender in the shins as they get out, and run off. Might need a big legal budget...

The return of Marty Wild
Montreal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All over this! Defensive parking is a skill, where my mum lives one of her neighbours banged my car with his door whilst I was standing next to the car. He didn't batter an eyelid. When reprimanded, he had the gall to say that my car had banged his. It was stationary and all the doors were closed.

I put a parking cone beside it when I park there now, he is a miserable 'bathtub' to say the least.

Cayman S 987.1

Delanor
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife recently had cause to park our Kuga in a local Hospital where parking spaces are in very short supply - 2 hours later someone had not only managed to scratch and dent the front passenger door but just to be sure they had done the same to the back door!

In this day and age you really need a sacrificial car - an old dented rust bucket you can comfortably park anywhere without worry.

Del.

Current - 205 bhp TDCI Ford Kuga 4X4.
Current - Crystal White 40th Anniversary RX-8.
Current - Porsche Carrera Cabriolet in Viola.

Last edited by Delanor on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Delanor
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pity you can`t get a Dashcam type camera to record car park damage to your car!

Del.

Current - 205 bhp TDCI Ford Kuga 4X4.
Current - Crystal White 40th Anniversary RX-8.
Current - Porsche Carrera Cabriolet in Viola.

Porschekit
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Delanor's comment about having an old rust bucket to do the weekly grocery shopping in, albeit we know this is not economically practical.
I once experienced a woman park her car next to mine, she got out and proceeded to put her handbag (with metal studs on the bottom) on the bonnet of my car (not Porsche) and rummage through for something, clearly not seeing me sitting in the drivers seat. A quick blast of the horn shocked her into moving on but not before she'd dragged the offending bag across the paint. My remonstrations to her met with a raft of abusive claiming I had shocked her into falling on to the car.
Some people just don't give a damn about other peoples property.

I truly wish people could be made aware of how these things are important, like throwing litter out of car windows, while driving, with kids in their car....USING INDICATORS .....OK time to stop or I'll run out of ink.... frustrated

easternjets
Österreich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving my Touareg and parking is a lottery, like Alex I look for the quiet part of the car park and hey presto I come back to cars parked either side of me. So I now park in the mother and child slot, if there are plenty free, and just put up with the abuse I get when I come back to the car, it's a small price to pay for having room to open my doors.
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

Porschekit
Nürburgring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those people who park in the Mother and Toddler spaces.....don't get me started ! .... Grin Grin morning Nick.... Grin

Gottans
Silverstone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm these people also work in the OPC I bought my car from Evil or Very Mad

The little toe-rags there should know better, wonder if they treat 918's with the same level of disrespect as my 911.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: