Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Filling up problems

Dexterich

Monza
I have had this problem for a while but today it was much worse. Basically no. matter what I try i cannot get fuel to flow into the tank for more than about 3 seconds before the pump clicks off. Its ok of course if I fill it really, really slow but on full flow I can hear the air whistling back out of the tank, then it clicks off, then fuel rushes back out (and disappears down the overflow or splashes onto the wing/me).
I have tried the nozzle in all positions, sideways, vertical, partly in, fully in, etc, etc.
Had a search around but doesnt seeem to be a known problem (maybe on the 996 but the filler design was changed from the 996 to 997), looking for any ideas please. :dont know: :?:

new one on me mate :dont know: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: would be interested in the answer. :thumb:

Sounds like your using a high flow pump which is getting so much fuel in at once that it 'kicks' back and hence trips the pump.
Only advice I could say is try a different garage.

Yup its a pain , takes forever to fill up .

Theres a couple of different types of filler neck , one has a breather tube the other doesn,t but both as far as im aware have an anti siphoning device at the base of the filler neck .

This might be sticking or maybe just removeing it might help ..

Basically the fuel cant go into the tank fast enough so either fuel backs up or air triggers the pump to shut off .

Not a huge job to remove the filler neck and have a look .

Thanks demort, think i'll look into doing that - any tips?

I had this issue when I first bought my car, I didn't realise until the first time I put fuel in :evil: I guess the previous owner did know but didn't tell me.

It took me a while and lot of searching to work out what was happening and it was a PITA trying to fuel up. It could take me up to 15 minute to fill the tank.

Basically the air wasn't getting out of the tank so the pump nozzle kept clicking off as the fuel could only go in slowly. I eventually changed my fuel filler for one that had a air return pipe up the side of the filler tube and have never had a problem since. It is a strange one as the car must have been fine in the previous years.

Have a read of this http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=99268 it also shows how I solved my issues.

I have this on my Cayman, not to the point of taking 15mins to fill. Found a bit about it online, one person said you can carry a small homemade device with you that helps sort it.

Will try find the link again.

Just done a bit of googling and sounds like an evap problem.

Thanks infrasilver, had a read but that thread is for the 996 and mine is 997.1 and I previously read that the design was changed so that the 997 does not have the charcoal filter (and i assume therefore has multiple other changes re venting).
I forsee that i'm going to have to become a fuel filler expert to solve it :eek:

Dexterich said:
Thanks infrasilver, had a read but that thread is for the 996 and mine is 997.1 and I previously read that the design was changed so that the 997 does not have the charcoal filter (and i assume therefore has multiple other changes re venting).
I forsee that i'm going to have to become a fuel filler expert to solve it :eek:
997 has filter but in a different place apparently. Rennlist has a thread with pics.

The fuel tank and system has more parts than I thought! Here's what I found so far.
It is not permitted for fuel vapour (hydro carbons) to be released to atmosphere. So, the ventilation of the tank is via a filter. When the car is stationary vapour from the tank goes via the activated carbon filter which captures the HC. Then, when running, and based on a number of criteria (the ECU decides) valves are operated so that the filter is purged and the HC are sent to the engine to be mixed with the normal fuel flow and burnt.
The 997 does have a carbon filter but it is part of a 'simplified" system compared to the 996 (I don't know the detail differences). The filter is at the rear of the right hand wheel well. It is connected to the tank via the ventilation line which has a 'tank vent valve" along it. The system on US cars is different to the RoW as they have different regulations re the HC release – this makes using Rennlist for information tricky.
The system diagram is below. I haven't been able to figure out yet what role item 7 plays (and how it is activated). I also haven't found a simple description of how the filling works i.e. when filling I assume the displaced air from the tank is sent via the filter to capture the HC, (making the whooshing sound I hear coming from the filler neck suspicious). But for this to happen does item 7 have to operate and if so how is this triggered?

Design 911 sell the carbon canister and related parts (see image) – item 2 is the vent line and you can see the 'tank vent valve" on this – I believe this is pressure operated.

The problem is how to find out what is wrong without just replacing parts? The roll over valve is tricky as this is in the tank (so battery and battery tray out). I am thinking of trying the vent line and the filter (in that order) – maybe try and pick up some used ones from a breaker (although the d911 prices aren't bad TBH)?

Or barking up the wrong tree :?:

Attachments

• carbon_filter_160.png
    carbon_filter_160.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,757
  • fuel_system_197.png
    fuel_system_197.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,757
Aim the pump nozzle towards the back of the car once inserted. Kinda 90 degrees left. I found this helps a lot. Probably due to the pipe direction.

Try turning the nozzle 180 degrees, so the handle guard is facing the bonnet not the wing, and you're pulling the lever towards your chest rather than up (hopefully that makes sense). This used to happen on an old 911 of mine and turning the nozzle always seemed to fix the problem.

What he does works for me...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back