Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Niggles .........

madalaa

Fuji
What niggles you about your "Pride and Joy" ....... for me the biggest is the lower windscreen wiper that does not sit flush to the screen ....... the last three inches sit off the screen.

I have also noticed it on various cars in the museum at Stuttgart.

:nooo:

My passenger seat has an annoying squeaking sound. But only when my wife is the passenger.

I'd welcome any advice if anyone else has had the same problem.... :dont know:

I'd have thought lack of air conditioning would be right up there :dont know:

Andy - do you have the correct blade fitted. On the 996 it has a curved passenger side blade so the end doesn't lift.

Paul - easy cure mate :shutup:

Other option is write her a 'code of conduct' :lol:

alex yates said:
Andy - do you have the correct blade fitted. On the 996 it has a curved passenger side blade so the end doesn't lift.

I wondered that......... :chin:

alex yates said:
Paul - easy cure mate :shutup:

I deliberately left that ambiguous but it is actually the seat. There's an equally easy cure for that too though.. ... :grin:

alex yates said:
Other option is write her a 'code of conduct' :lol:

Yeah......maybe not...... :lol:

(Sorry 911uk, no offence meant :D )

Here Andy:

Standard straight blade (passenger) and lifts at the outermost end:

20170217_161150_HDR_zpsrylyd5k3.jpg

Correct curved blade that wraps round the windscreen to avoid 'lift':

20160402_180304_zpsxieqehfz.jpg

Just make sure it's not fitted upside down :oops:

20160402_180337_zpsg4yy2bal.jpg

Well thanks for the replies guys ........ but we are talking 993s here ....... and I see none of you are present owners.

Zingers is an ex owner and a big fan of air con and never misses a chance to remind me ...... and bitterly regrets selling his 993 ....... lol ...... maybe Alex might have had one but runs a 996 now ...... and Paul has I think always been "water cooled" ......

As this the 993 forum I was more asking other 993 owners what "niggles" they had with their cars ....... :)

ok I'll answer for them............know-it-all 996 owners sticking the beaks in on 'their' forum :puh:

LOL ........ thanks Alex ...... the car is in for service next week and I will have a word there ....... obviously all the other 993 owners are blissfully happy ....... and "niggle" free ......... ;)

Or scared of posting negative comments :grin:

I think the way the wiper blade sits is generic on RHD. You can swap the fitment over to LHD as the blanking plates are there. This is how the car was originally designed (even though it was by an english guy :roll: ). LHD fitment means they don't obscure the beautiful view over the bonnet.

The other option is to remove the wipers altogether, after all they are never driven in the rain. You would have to refit them for MOT though :wink:

My only niggle is that they stopped making them, progress eh :dont know:

I may be wrong of course but hasn't the wiper issue been raised a few times previously?

From my own experience there are at least three different wiper arm designs:
Original daily little ones that hug the windscreen nicely
Current Porsche replacements that are not as dainty and almost hug the screen
Big fugly Bosche arms that a motor factors will tell you are correct; they fit but don't hug the screen and look awful.

My niggle is with the far too quiet 'ticker' of the indicator flasher unit. Especially in a cab with the roof down it is inaudible. And no I am not deaf!

Far too easy to leave it on and in some circumstances can be dangerous.

Squeaky Targa roofs - not all the time, worse when cold. 993 Coupes don't tend to many any noise. Beautifully quiet cars.

Demisting on a cold day.

Noisy rear spoiler (fixable).

Worn bonnet struts. (fixable). I once opened my bonnet, bent down to pick the shopping up, turned around and head-butted the lip of the bonnet as it was making its way down. Luckily, I had my bobble hat on and there wasn't too much damage. Soon fixed at A&E.

And of course, my passenger seat always had a continuous whine when occupied.

madalaa said:
What niggles you about your "Pride and Joy" ....... for me the biggest is the lower windscreen wiper that does not sit flush to the screen ....... the last three inches sit off the screen.

I have also noticed it on various cars in the museum at Stuttgart.

:nooo:

I carefully "re-profield" (aka bent) the last "spreader" arm to wrap around the lower screen at rest.

Now this is some of a trial and error process, as you have to test the full wipe to check that at top dead centre this "mod" doesn't impart enough lift to push the rest of the blade away on the flat part of the screen

I didn't like that my 993 was too nice to drive (with the wipers on or off)

On another wiper related niggle, I didn't like the fact the sunroof button was next to the rear wiper button :x

One very good reason for the "Herbie Mod" (see my resto diary) - the worst thing about the standard relay function is it would wipe THREE times for one momentary (lapse of) pressing the wiper button.

The dreadful realisation you would have to watch and hear it scrape a bone dry screen three full times before stopping :sad:

The occasional whine from the passenger seat when I give it the berries. Fortunately I have intermittent deafness in my left ear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back