Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Australian F1 Grand Prix chat on HERE please

T8

Super Moderator
I'm really looking forward to the new season but won't be getting up at 6am on Sunday to watch it live.

On behalf of all those that want to watch it on their Sky+ or on terrestrial TV later in the day I'd be obliged if this thread be used for discussion about qualifying and the race.

Cheers :thumb:

I'm hoping post Bernie heralds a sea change. Let's hope so.

Mind you last season was for me the most action packed and exciting one of the modern era.

Our trip to Hockenheim will include an hours walk to find the (magnificent) old track because of Ecclestone's butchery :nooo:

Word around our way (those who work closely with F1) is Red Bull are confident.....but I've yet to see why....? :? (As of typing Ricciardo is out of qualifying...)

Personally I can't see past Mercedes again :dont know:

(And thanks for organising this thread Terry. What you do for this forum is genuinely appreciated :thumbs: )

I just watched it and thought qualifying was pretty good, much closer than last year and I am sure Ferrari's race pace will prove to be good.

Boom go lewis. how good do the new cars look and they are quick!

from the rear they look proper and like F1 cars should be.

Ferrari looking good that's for sure. red bull lacking and thought they would be quicker

just goes to show what a leading car does and a good driver up on the podium. Bottas looks quick in that car. imagine vettel or max or Riccardo in the merc.

Merc should make all the cars on the grid and let battle commence ;-)

I was a tad bored by it tbh. I started full of anticipation but it all seemed very samey after a bit so o switched on the VLN race :D

What on earth are mclaren going to do to get this sorted. It must be starting to have a negative effect on their brand value not to mention the slow and painful death of Alonso's career. Such a waste.

But, they really don't have a contingency plan it seems. You would assume there are performance clauses inside contracts but where on earth would they go if the could get out of the Honda deal?

New997buyer said:
I'm hoping post Bernie heralds a sea change. Let's hope so.

Mind you last season was for me the most action packed and exciting one of the modern era.

Our trip to Hockenheim will include an hours walk to find the (magnificent) old track because of Ecclestone's butchery :nooo:

Word around our way (those who work closely with F1) is Red Bull are confident.....but I've yet to see why....? :? (As of typing Ricciardo is out of qualifying...)

Personally I can't see past Mercedes again :dont know:

(And thanks for organising this thread Terry. What you do for this forum is genuinely appreciated :thumbs: )

wasn't eccelestone responsible for what f1 is today, or do you feel he was strangling it?

I think this season will be a closer run thing. Lewis still has the edge IMO. Wearing one of his caps as I write this come to think about it.

Palladium said:
wasn't eccelestone responsible for what f1 is today, or do you feel he was strangling it?

Absolutely. But I personally thought it was time for a new approach and 'strangling' is strong but my understanding is he was starting to hold it back. :thumbs:

40 years was a long time, I just worry a bit when a 'media group' takes something over, I mean ecclestone couldn't have been more 'time served' had he have tried. Shame his son or daughter couldnt have carried it on, we will see, ratings need to rise and liberty may be the answer. :thumb:

Qualifying was good and boy are 2017 cars fast!! Way to go Lewis, but the Ferrari's will most certainly be in the running for the title fight....

Did anyone see where McLaren ended up...
:roll:

Senoj said:
I was a tad bored by it tbh. I started full of anticipation but it all seemed very samey after a bit so o switched on the VLN race :D

What on earth are mclaren going to do to get this sorted. It must be starting to have a negative effect on their brand value not to mention the slow and painful death of Alonso's career. Such a waste.

But, they really don't have a contingency plan it seems. You would assume there are performance clauses inside contracts but where on earth would they go if the could get out of the Honda deal?

According to the reports, there are break clauses both ways in the contract. However, as things are: not only are the engines free but Honda also kick in a sizeable amount of cash on top. So if it ends they need to plug a huge sponsorship funding gap as well as find the $20-30m that it will take to pay for an engine supply (which would probably have to be Renault now that they compete against Fezza and Merc in the car industry).

In short - they are pretty much stuck with it unless Honda pull the plug from their end. If they could find about $150-200m or so themselves they they could perhaps think about walking and commissioning their own engine (perhaps from Ricardo {who develop their road car engines}). But lets face it - that isn't going to happen as McLaren are simply no longer in a position where major sponsors will write them a blank cheque and they have nothing like the brand/merchandising potential of the likes of Ferrari.

I really don't expect Mansour Ojjeh to give Porsche a bucket of cash again to build an engine with a TAG badge stamped on it this time either...

Meanwhile - I too caught the last phase of the VLN and it was awesome. Couldn't believe it when the Falken car binned it, but at the rate that it was gaining I reckoned that the Manthey crew would have passed it anyway. Good showing from Bentley too as well.

Wow. Ferrari appear right back in the mix. The signs were there but they've been there before and not made it through to races.

Could be an excellent season :thumb:

Agreed :) looking forward seeing the next race at a proper race (or non street) circuit. Looks like a great season ahead.

I like many were hotly anticipated the first race with the new cars but I was left feeling quite bored in fact I fell asleep half way through and don't think I missed much.

Ferrari are certainly a hot contender this year.

I'm a great fan of Lewis but he just seemed to moan the whole race instead of getting his finger out.

The cars look great pity the race didn't live up to expectations.

Let's see what happens in China at a proper circuit.

Jury is still out as to whether the changes will produce better racing.

:sleepy:

Not the best of starts to a new season of F1 ,Moto GP looks to have been better entertainment this weekend :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back