Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ages?

k3bab

Trainee
Having recently been to a little porsche get together, I am convinced that I am in the minority. Everyone appeared to be 40+ most invididuals looked closer to retirement.

Am I in the minority to be a 20 something yo porsche enthusiast?

I'm sure that there's thousands of Porsche enthusiasts in their 20's but suspect that most owners (especially of 911s) are 30+.

Age is nothing but a number... As long as you have petrol running through your veins!!!

:thumbs:

Truest words ever written on a keyboard Alam
:thumb: :thumb:

I have just turned 30 :lol: But as others have said age is just a number. If you read the replies on here you cant really tell how old people are. Most are like minded anyway :thumbs:

I suspect most guys that go out and buy a 911 in the 50's / 60's would have done in it in the 20's if they could afford/justify buying one. being in 20's / 30's is an expensive time first house, kids etc. Plus many do not even start their career until mid 20's nowadays. There are younger guys though that for what ever reason find they can afford these cars be it through hard work or a wealthy family... Either way age is just a number. How we all got here is just a story fact is we all have a passion for these cars regardless.

I'll be 30 in June so just about holding on to the 20's category.

Been a porsche enthusiast since I was 8.

But 20's was marriage, mortgage, kids etc.

30's (finally making some money and having some time) - got my 1st porsche at 34.

Now 42, kids growing up, mortgage nearly paid off - just enjoying my car and my time....

You never know what is round the corner so it doesnt matter your age - just go and do what stirs you!

Affordability and running costs like Insurance etc are probably prohibiting factors for people in their 20's and even 30's.

Also I think as you go through the ages your taste in cars also changes such that you build up to the likes of a Porsche by the time you come to your 40's.

I bought my first one in my late 30's and been running them for over 25 years. When I bought mine it was an indulgence especially as we were enjoying 😱 mortgage interest rates of up to 15%! In those days you strive to get in property ladder first and foremost. I was an engineer my whole working life and in those days you did not achieve full pay rate until you were at least 30. I remember the uproar at one firm when they reduced it to 27! , fancy letting these inexperienced guys make engineering decisions. How times change 😃
My son bought his first at 17, we used it as a father and son project building a 924 CGT rep based on a 924 turbo, used to spend his university holidays in the garage. He's still into them selling the 924 to a friend of mine, now rebuilding his 968 to CS spec
Now you've bought one early I'm afraid your committed for life :thumb:

My First Porky

At the ripe age of 29 i purchased my first Porsche. Back then in 2009 a 930 backdate was only £16k. Still it took long enough to save up for it...
:clap:

Had my first 911, a 3.2, when I was 21. Loved that car, wish I'd kept it...

I turned Porsche enthusiast in my 20s after a friend's dad took me out in his 996 4s. I brought my first (and current) Porsche at the ripe old age of 29. I'm now solidly into my 30th year.

TBH when I was sub 40 I only wanted rally derived cars Sunbeam Lotus Audi Quattro's RS 2000,Cosworth's and Mini Cooper's, I did try a 911 just did not get me going it the same way, roll on a few years and now I would not swap from my Porsche The thing I loved most was when you came up behind sports car like a TR6 or MGB and the other driver looks in the mirror and see a little old Mini behind them at this point battle commenced :floor: :thumb:

I considered buying a 911 Targa (I think it was) back when I was 25 as I saw an old (late 1970`s model if I remember correctly) one up for sale at a dealers for £5995. But instead decided to invest my money in tuning my Renault 5 GT Turbo instead.

As others have said, in your 20`s and even 30`s you probably dont have the spare cash to buy a 911, I know I was busy with house renovations, then marriage, then kids, and working my way up the career ladder, so it wasnt until I turned 40 that I started being able to save up some cash. I then started toying with the idea of getting another quick car after a run of having fairly "sensible" diesels.

It was only then, when I started looking to see what quick 4 seater (for the kids) 2 door cars were out there that the 911 ended up on my list of potential cars. Up until then id never really been interested in them. I then started learning about the different models etc and ended up buying a 911 turbo.

Everyone appeared to be 40+ most invididuals ( individuals) looked closer to retirement.

........ Do you have a problem with that ........ :?:

:dont know:

edited to add ........

p.s. It would be sad if that were the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back