Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

renewing back boxes. wish i never started!

jono2200

Silverstone
So I've had these sitting in the garage since November time I think. Finally with a bit of free time I thought I would change them over.. What an absolute pig of a job. I've done 1 with 1 to go. Getting access to the brackets is neigh on impossible and even if it was the good are so badly corroded. Think I'm 8hrs in so far. Lets hope they sound nicer!!

Attachments

• 20170322_092730_780x780_342.jpg
    20170322_092730_780x780_342.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 5,317
  • 20170322_092719_1248x1248_164.jpg
    20170322_092719_1248x1248_164.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 5,317
Ive been there , and feel your pain with it ,happy to give you a hand if your near Milton Keynes

BHZ661 said:
Ive been there , and feel your pain with it ,happy to give you a hand if your near Milton Keynes

Thanks for the kind offer however I'm north east.. I'm just about to tackle the other one now.. I'm not even going to try and remove the 3 bolts but the 2 vertical ones which secure the exhaust to bracket. See if I can use my dremmel to get in and chop them which will be renewed and going back upside down, so next time should be easier..

I just typed out a long post on how I've just done this, but lost it all in a website error.

Anyway. Buy stainless steel replacement bolts and lock nuts off ebay. The sizes specified by Porsche are all available. They are M8x140mm and M8x60mm. If you don't use stainless hardware you'll be going through the trauma of siezed bolts next time you work on the exhaust.

I just removed the two vertical bolts, I didn't even think of trying to remove the entire bracket. Details on my thread about fitting PSE.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I just removed the two vertical bolts, I didn't even think of trying to remove the entire bracket. Details on my thread about fitting PSE.

MC

problem is the head is facing upover of the vertical bolts, so ther eisnt clearance from the body of the car to allow removing, its all done now and i but them bolts in from the bottom with the nut at the top so in future should just be a case of removing the 2 vertical bolts.

definitely sounds a bit more throaty, still quiet in general, also did the airbox plug mod, though have to say didnt notice much difference with that.

Martin996RSR said:
Buy stainless steel replacement bolts and lock nuts off ebay. The sizes specified by Porsche are all available. They are M8x140mm and M8x60mm. If you don't use stainless hardware you'll be going through the trauma of siezed bolts next time you work on the exhaust.

Is this a typo on the shorter one? The PET shows M8x70mm for the shorter bolt.

cobrars said:
I'm on to my 5th set of exhausts now, it gets easier with a bit of practice :thumbs:

:eek: You must be an expert Craig

I replaced what I presume were the original silencers on my car, I have to agree it was quite a PITA job but as I was fitting sports silencers the added grin factor ever since has made it all well worth it :thumb:

jezgreen911 said:
cobrars said:
I'm on to my 5th set of exhausts now, it gets easier with a bit of practice :thumbs:

:eek: You must be an expert Craig

I replaced what I presume were the original silencers on my car, I have to agree it was quite a PITA job but as I was fitting sports silencers the added grin factor ever since has made it all well worth it :thumb:

Hi Jez

An expert might be going a smidge too far but i'm starting to get the hang of it now. I've got a set of the Top Gear Valvetronic boxes to fit next, they should hopefully give me the grin factor :thumb:

Id just like to say ..

To anyone doing this outside .. on stands .. in the wet and rain then my hat off to you all .

I hate doing this in the warm .. on a ramp and with every tool needed !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back