Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A bit of a strip down

decgraham

Albert Park
Hi All,

I decided it was time to change the cam chain cover gaskets as they were weeping. I'd bought them a couple of years ago but when I saw how much work was involved I decided against proceeding. Over the last few years I've become more and more confident in working on my car so yesterday I started the strip down. Many thanks to Jackals racetrack site for the detailed information on getting most of the back end off. It was then a search on Rennlist and the like to go the rest of the way. As was said on Rennlist the LHS is easy but the RHS requires a bit more work as you have to remove the A/C carrier to get to one bolt which is hidden behind it. I will tackle this today. I think I was lucky as all my nuts and bolts came undone without drama, even the ones on the exhausts and CAT :D I had a bit of a scare on on of the hex bolts that go through the rear tin wear to the air box but after a spray of WD and a 15 minute wait I was able to remove it.

I must say that the benefit of my car having only lived in warm countries shows through. The rear PU supports are as good as new, just a bit dusty and the bumper supports look good too. But while everything is off I will have a look for the dreaded chassis rail issues, hopefully all will be fine.

I've also decided to replace the lower cam cover gaskets while everything is off as I noticed a weep on the RHS cover.

I feel quite pleased with myself :D just hope I remember how it all goes back together :lol:

ATB :)

Attachments

• parts_224.jpg
    parts_224.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2,151
  • rear_172.jpg
    rear_172.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,151
Excellent work! I've been thinking of doing this myself. Having taken the front of my car apart and replaced bits with relative ease i should turn my attention to the rear. I reckon I might struggle a bit more with rusty nuts but based on my experiences so far stuff comes apart with relative ease. Plenty of pics please :thumb:

I would imagine your chassis legs are fine ......... living in Spain ....... :)

Did mine last year. Trickiest bit was getting the rear engine tin back in.
Be careful if you decide to take the engine carrier off, thrre is an error on Jackal's site he put the captive nuts for the cat support on the outside instead of the inside

Attachments

• well_i_know_its_there_157.jpg
    well_i_know_its_there_157.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 2,074

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back