Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Used Dealer Markups

StephenS1

Does anyone know what rough percentage indies make on various Porsche relative to what they pay for them, e.g. in the three to ten year old market.

My guess was that it was something like 10% but then I realised that I don't really have anything to base that on whatsoever.

I'm just wondering how much we all pay to change cars each time.

yes i would say for a £30k i'd expect them to have £5k profit in it but it also depends on dealers and warranties etc

I agree they would like us to think 10% but its somewhere between 10% and 20% maybe by the time they have prepped the car done bits that need doing and haggled with us a bit they may end up around 10% nett :thumb:

A bit less than OPC 30%, don't have a trade in evaluation unless your either sitting down or on laughing gas. I'd say 20% for Indy as it's not all profit, after wages, rent and commercial expenses are paid for.

The dealers buy our cherished motors that need very little doing to them, take them back to their million pound showroom, pay some young lad minimum wage to valet your/their car, then mark it up by £10k and sell it the following weekend!
Cynical me? Never.

easternjets said:
The dealers buy our cherished motors that need very little doing to them, take them back to their million pound showroom, pay some young lad minimum wage to valet your/their car, then mark it up by £10k and sell it the following weekend!
Cynical me? Never.

That's what pays for the million pound showroom

In my experience, the spread between the trade in value you get, and the sale price they achieve can be as high as 30% of the sale price.

Once costs are taken into account, this will take a fair hit. It only takes the odd engine rebuild or new gearbox to wipe out the profit of one or two sales.

I sold my C4S to a dealer for £29K (back in 2014) and he sold it for £35K less than a week later. Definitely closer to 20 than 10 percent.

20% even with high end cars. Bloke I work with had a Bentley Conti GT he was trying to sell recently....dealers were all pretty blunt that 20% was their margin and wouldn't budge.

I sold my 997.1 Tip to a dealer for £28k. He put it up for £33k and took a month odd to sell.

Needed a full service too, and some small chips etc.

He offered me sell or return for £3k, and did say he'd put it up for £33k, but I would have had to pay for the service etc... so hence took the cash.

After dealers pay for their staff, showroom, Insurance costs etc etc - they probably make 10% or around £3k per car.... some cars they may make significantly more, and others may end up needing more work etc - and so that is the risk they have to take.

I say good luck to all dealers - the ones that have been around for a while will have built up a good reputation and that is important too.

Rob325114 said:
In my experience, the spread between the trade in value you get, and the sale price they achieve can be as high as 30% of the sale price.

Once costs are taken into account, this will take a fair hit. It only takes the odd engine rebuild or new gearbox to wipe out the profit of one or two sales.

Dealers add a warranty which they buy - this covers them for the odd engine rebuild or gearbox as the warranty company pays them to fix it.
I know someone in the trade - they evaluate the car and only fix what you can see - do the service at trade cost - pay for the warranty and send it out. If non-warranty items are spotted by the new owner, the cost to rectify is already in the margin calculations, if not then the margin retained increases.

From my experience of dealers, the difference between the trade price they will give you and the price they sell the car for is roughly about 25%->30%. With the typical private sale price being roughly half way between the two figures.

Obviously it varies if you are part-ex`ing a car at a dealer as it depends upon how desperate they want to get rid of the car your buying and how much potential profit they have in it.

From the dealers perspective, as mentioned, they have the costs of warranty, servicing, valet, new MOT, cost of their sales people/showroom overheads etc, and very often the dealer actually finances the purchase of the car, so they have interest payments on the loan for every week that car is sitting in their showroom.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJno1
Back