Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996/997 owners beware

ELA

Barcelona
My car is a very clean 80 odd thousand mile early 996. The 996 and 997 have a reputation of being very resistant to rust with no known issues, or at least that was my opinion. Well today I removed the rear arch forward and lower plastic arch liners and was very happy to have removed 760gr of mud/stones in the process. However in the lower forward corner I found some rust and it appears I have got there just in time. Now my car is never really driven in anything but perfect weather; well at least for the 6 years I've owned it. So this is just a warning and request to please go out and remove these liners and check for rust/bubbling under the seam weld, this could just save you a small fortune in the near future in welding in new sills...
Should only take you about 2-3hours per side to remove, clean, rust treat (I use Fertan) then repaint and seal. I just thought I'd give you guys a heads up whilst I'm half way through rectifying mine.
Pics below
Remove these:

Here is my LH arch:

And RH side:

Also posted here for 997 owners :thumb:

Cheers Richie 8)

yes good call mate...however i'm not sure what to think about weighing the debris taht you removed - very thorough!

seeforez said:
yes good call mate...however i'm not sure what to think about weighing the debris taht you removed - very thorough!

It was a lucky spot if truth be told. I noticed the RH side plastic panels weren't properly aligned so I was only removing the upper panel of the 2 just to seat it correctly. If it wasn't for this I would never have known ;)
But in doing so I realised there was a fairly hefty amount of crud and as the scales were literally just beside me, I thought it would be rude not to. Almost a kilo for free. In some areas a paltry kilo has cost me a fortune to remove.

That is surprising! Coming from a few Mk1 MX5's, where this is a common sight, I hoped that buying the Porsche would disregard that worry!

I've just gone out to check mine (The wheels etc. were off anyway) and so happy to find nothing behind it. Luckily, only takes a few minutes to check!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back