Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Time to say goodbye to the 993

aak

I was thinking to myself whether or not to write anything on the forum about selling my 993 as it made it pretty final and real.

Some of the guys on here know that I used to have a 997 and sold it after my father had a stroke. He always wanted an air-cooled 911 for as long as I can remember. That is probably the reason why I've hankered over one since the age of 10!

So off I went. Sold the 997 and started the search for the 993. Thanks to all the members who helped me. I found the right car for me at he right price 4 years ago. For a short period of time my father was able to drive (not anymore sadly but he gets to sit in the passengers side) and so I felt that I was able to fulfil one of his dreams of owning a 993.

The car has been flawless. I've loved every single day of ownership. It never let me down. Not a single time. It just took everything I threw at it. I drove it down to the South of France 3 times in one go. Didn't miss a beat. I used it at a daily driver through rain, sleet and snow. Not a problem. It's just been an absolute pleasure to own. People always stopped me to ask if they could take pictures. There would be numerous times when I would return to the car and find someones details left who wanted to make an offer on it. It always turned heads.....even before the exhaust hack!

Sid at Porsche Torque took excellent care of it and I had everything addressed over my ownership that the Byfleet inspection recommended. I can't even remember all the "extra" things that I had done to it.

Above all, I found it so much fun being part of this forum. Much more like a fraternity. All the initial newbie questions were answered and I would not have taken the plunge if it wasn't for this forum.

However over the last few months I felt like a change. I've had 7 years of Porsche ownership. I was never attached to my 997, but the 993 was the first car I felt to let go. Every time I came close to selling it, I would jump back in, turn the key and think "nope can't do it".

But I finally sold her over the weekend. It's been a fantastic ownership experience and I feel privileged to have owned a 993. But i really felt like a change. I'll be coming back to Porsche in a year but..........I went for an R8 :oops:

Thanks for all your help gents :bye:

:what:

At some point someone will want to know how much you paid for it and how much you sold it for......

Zingers...i know, i know. But I just needed to scratch the itch. I did the same with the G wagen. Bought one. Loved it, kept it a year and sold it for a profit. Although I won't be making a profit on the R8.

Arkid: they can ask but I got a price that I was very, very happy with. :thumb:

:bye: ....... for now.

aak said:
Zingers...i know, i know. But I just needed to scratch the itch. I did the same with the G wagen. Bought one. Loved it, kept it a year and sold it for a profit. Although I won't be making a profit on the R8.

which R8 did you go for out of interest? Just picked one up myself, 2009 4.2 with a trick exhaust, i am loving it at present, much more than i thought.
its more than made up for losing the 993. Saying that, i saw Top gear last night and am fancying the new Alfa next year lol!

Mrs has a 997.
I am saving for a 993.
Says it in my sig.

Good luck with the R8, I just didn't gell with it, nor did I gell with the GTR (well it is a nissan)

Glad you had a great few years in your 993 and your dad got to fulfill his dream.

ChrisT70 said:
aak said:

which R8 did you go for out of interest? Just picked one up myself, 2009 4.2 with a trick exhaust, i am loving it at present, much more than i thought.
its more than made up for losing the 993. Saying that, i saw Top gear last night and am fancying the new Alfa next year lol!

:thumbs:

Captain Lockheed said:
Mrs has a 997.
I am saving for a 993.
Says it in my sig.

Good lick with the R8, I just didn't gell with it, nor did I gell with the GTR (well it is a nissan)

Glad you had agreat few years in your 993 and your dad got to fulfill his dream.

Thank you and good luck with your search :thumb:

Captain Lockheed said:
I am saving for a 993.

I'd hang on a few months as they'll be getting near 25 bags territory with the numbers being sold off at present :grin:

Don't overpay, you'll end up not using it which will ruin the enjoyment unless you want it as an ornament :thumb:

Zingari said:
Captain Lockheed said:
I am saving for a 993.

I'd hang on a few months as they'll be getting near 25 bags territory with the numbers being sold off at present :grin:

Don't overpay, you'll end up not using it which will ruin the enjoyment unless you want it as an ornament :thumb:

I heard that there was a nice GR tip car went cheap to a forum member recently so before long they will be changing hands for the prerequisite number of bags ....

😄😄

911TEL said:
I heard that there was a nice GR tip car went cheap to a forum member recently so before long they will be changing hands for the prerequisite number of bags ....

:floor:

I must have missed that thread :oops:

:grin:

911TEL said:
Zingari said:
Captain Lockheed said:
I am saving for a 993.

😄😄

:floor: :hand: :bandit:

Another one bites the dust!

A shame but can certainly understand the need to move on, and an R8 would be fun for a year. Interested to hear your thoughts on it, so pop back after a while and tell us all about it. Certainly you should beat the Mrs down to South of France with ease now :thumb:

Sorry to hear about the sale. Only time will tell whether or not you made the right call. To help you with supporting the R8 cause, I was heading down the M56 yesterday with a new Black R8 V10 behind me when I was in my 911. The road presence they have is mega, sounded even better when he buried it. I like many others will be interested to hear how you get on with it.
Good luck with the new wheels

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back