Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best ways to improve the stereo sound.

Grey996

Nurburgring
My car has a standard sound system but it's a bit dissapointing especially the bass from the door speakers.

What do people consider to be the best upgrades, there are plenty of Bose speakers on eBay or are there better alternatives?

Thanks

Mine was improved with a subwoofer and upgrade of the front speakers, I used focal 4inch speakers in the front and a modified bose subwoofer.

While I have not made any modifications/improvements to my 996 as far as the stereo is concerned ( had a double DIN Alpine plus amp plus speakers when I purchased it) I have been upgrading the system on our 987.

To say it was rubbish would not have been any injustice. Clear signs of a couple of blown speakers in the doors and generally sounding a bit worse for wear. I spotted a pair of new Vibe 6.5 dual cone speakers on ebay for £20.

Thinking that anything would be an improvement while I worked out whether to replace the standard head unit or not and what with, I snapped up the Vibes and popped them in. Simple install, a little solder and one extra hole to drill in the speaker chassis.

WOW, WOW, WOW.... Hold the bus! I have never spent so little on anything for a car and got such a great result. A bit of fiddling with the sound settings later and the sound in the car is drastically improved. The Vibes may be a little bass heavy and mid range light for some tastes.

Great value and a very significant improvement in my opinion.

replacing the dash & rear 4" speakers with pretty much anything will dramatically improve things.
Well.. except for Bose, which really aren't that good + have odd impedance.

< £40 will get you a pair of Alpine SPG-10C2 speakers. (which is what I have)
Whatever you choose, you WILL have to do some modifications to get them to fit - you need to sacrifice the old speaker cage, so nothing to the car itself.

Do you have door speakers? do you have the 6ch amp in the frunk? everything can be upgraded (eventually) but I'd start with the speakers

:thumb:

Thanks guys, yes mine has speakers in the door which vibrate with the slightest amount of base, dash ones which I'm not sure even work and the ones in the rear door cards, plus the amp in the frunk.

Is it standard 4 inch ones I need for all 3 places?

Off onto eBay for a browse!

Sound in my 996 cab is poor even with Bose system, not what i expected from the Bose name. Dropped the roof for a drive out yesterday and at 50mph on the A roads i struggled to hear anything audible even the high notes on Gimme Shelter by the Stones were lost so switched it's off and listened to radio Porsche instead which isn't a bad compromise :)

Grey996 said:
Thanks guys, yes mine has speakers in the door which vibrate with the slightest amount of base, dash ones which I'm not sure even work and the ones in the rear door cards, plus the amp in the frunk.

Is it standard 4 inch ones I need for all 3 places?

Off onto eBay for a browse!

4" is for the dash and rear 3/4 panels
The doors use a bass speaker and the 6ch amp has an EQ / filter to feed them.. if they buzz or rattle, I would be taking the door cards off to see if the speakers are damaged. I think you can fit 17cm units in there with some modification. You don't need to fit subs though..
You could go for components with the tweeter in the dash?

Those Pioneers will be fine :thumb:

Cheers, a bit more googling shows that the door ones are 5" and yes you can go up to 6.5" but with cutting.

I'll take the old ones out and have a poke around to check before I order.

Thanks for the help.

Grey996 said:
Cheers, a bit more googling shows that the door ones are 5" and yes you can go up to 6.5" but with cutting.

I'll take the old ones out and have a poke around to check before I order.

Thanks for the help.

Facelift cars have a frame around the door speakers that sit inside the door card, they may need to be removed to fit larger speakers, look before you buy.

I found that the Alpine speakers sounded worse than the OEM Nokia speakers. Replacing the headunit for something good is your best bet.

Zen Ben said:
I found that the Alpine speakers sounded worse than the OEM Nokia speakers. Replacing the headunit for something good is your best bet.

I know that sound quality can be a perception thing - but the Alpine SPG c10 speakers sound waaaaaay better than the standard Nokias! :eek: Are you sure there wasn't a wiring issue or mounting problem?

Dammit said:
Very interested in what you end up with, I have the Nokia amp and six speakers, so could shamelessly copy you.

That was my set up.
I replaced the amp as it hissed & farted - put in a pioneer unit and I drive the door speakers from the sub-out of the head unit with that - then the internal HU amp drives the alpine dash & rear speakers.

if you do this, you need to bypass the car's internal speaker wires from the HU to the amp and they use a shared earth which modern systems don't like.
I have the colour coding if required :thumb:

With a new head unit and amp, mine sounds great with the standard speakers.

One thing my installer couldn't do was make it so the stereo comes on as per factory with the key in the 'acc' position.

Its annoying to have to leave the ignition on to listen to the stereo. Any thoughts as to different wiring ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back