Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lambda sensor readings help with the love data

Rickyhull

Monza
Hi all! Basically car failed mot on emisions as per previous post, had plugged in today and think I'm right in thinking the following readings are the lambda ones (correct me if I'm wrong)

My car only has pre cat lambda sensors no post cat ones so seems to be 2 readings for each bank which is a little confusing but either way do these results confirm coolent temp fine and maf fine but lambda off and if so which lambda....? Already had 2 three years ago so surely both aren't shot again and which side of the car manifold is bank one....?

What you have there are the fuel trim figures and theres a fault on B2 i would have said , maf and im afraid i work with kg/hr and it should be around 16 /18 on idle with a/c on .. not sure how to convert your figures .

What you need to do is find and look at the live readings for the lambda sensors , it should switch voltage between 0.2 and 0.8 volts up and down .. up and down etc etc .. i would atm guess that B2 lambda sensor is not switching .

Any fault codes ?

Ok thanks very much for that!, where would b2 lambda sensor be as the manifold passenger side comes down the 02 sensor then goes to back box on drivers side...?, ill let you make that assuption then tell you a thing I spotted earlier on in the day as to not sway your opinion

When you look at the rear of the car then you are faceing the front of the engine ( drive belt side ) then Bank 1 would be left and Bank 2 would be right .

Sensor is in the exhaust and just infront of the cat , wireing connection is each side of the air filter so follow it down if needed :)

EDIT ..

Actually after looking again and assumeing the min max is what was recorded as you had the tester on then you have a fault with B1 as well .

Amazing you've said that as earlier I found a lambda sensor (drivers side of the car so bank 2) had been welded in place by Halfords auto centre for the previous owner 3 years ago as it failed mot on emisions so chances are they fried it I guess and so it's either had a dogey mot for last couple of years or it's finally given up after luckily lasting as long as it has....

Oh dear :duh:

Well .. start with finding the reading on your tester for live lambda values and lets see if it actually is dead or not .

fault codes ?

not going to be an easy replacement when its welded like that sigh .

Did you rev up the car whilst you had the tester on ? as bank 1 on the min max doesn,t look right either but thats not the same fault as bank 2

I'm not a Able to get anymore readings now as was a friends code reader but a friend who owns a 996 and owns a Volvo garage has offered to help with further diagnostics later in the week and said if I get the cat off he can get the hole hele coiled does that sound like a good idea or better to get another cat?, is there a good chance that from the info the maf and temp sensor is ok?, these are the readings from the mot fail sheet

Ok well your maf converts to 15.2 kg/h which is about normal so on the face of it then its ok but an idle reading is only an indication , unplugging it is another way of testing it .

Idearly you need to see the live readings before you condem the lambda .. its the most obvious at this point but there are many things we tend to look at .

Again you might need both sides due to lambda ageing faults .. start with just the one perhaps and see if you get an eml for the other side after a few weeks.

With no post cat sensors then you dont really know what state the cats are in .. if its been running rich for a long time then you could be into cats as well .

You need something like this to repair ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/2513...=9045806&device=c&campaignid=737386489&crdt=0

In the absense of any other data then perhaps b2 lambda sensor and see if it passes .. or youll need a garage to have a look at all the readings and come to a conlusion :)

Edit

Temp sensor was reading almost operateing temp , to test you start the car from cold and monitor it .. your looking for a temp reading that it drops to - 40 then springs back to condem that .

Great thanks a lot I really appreciate the help!, will see what happened when my friend plugs it in in the next day or 2 as like you say I wanna see what the lambda sensors are reading before I start disturbing the situation and removing the faulty welded one if it is faulty, once that's done then will get that cat off and hopefully remove the sensor and repair the awful mess Halfords have created!, they failed it on the mot then guessing the previous owner decided to let them repair it since it's already there anyway but god I wouldn't of! Lol

Rickyhull said:
Amazing you've said that as earlier I found a lambda sensor (drivers side of the car so bank 2) had been welded in place by Halfords auto centre for the previous owner 3 years ago as it failed mot on emisions so chances are they fried it I guess and so it's either had a dogey mot for last couple of years or it's finally given up after luckily lasting as long as it has....

I suspect that is the problem. What a bodge of a job! Ideally you want to replace the cat or get it repaired properly with a new sensor put in.

Good call .. prove before replacment is the best way forward :D

Welding .. there really was no need thread can be recut or a new section welded on if needed .. sigh .. some people !

You can buy a steel collar ring which will repair that nicely once the old mess is cut and ground off.

If I was you then for two new lambda sensors, they are not too expense circa £55 each for Bosch ones (wonder which make is ok there atm?)

:thumb:

They've actually got Porsche part numbers on them so wouldn't surprise me if there the original ones and the Halfords guy charged him for new ones and just cleaned the old ones and left them in as surprised they had a 993 part number on them lol, also could be completely unrelated but (had the car just over a year) first few months always started normally as you'd expect but then after that I noticed it does a slight rev (only on initial startup) but certain never used to, seems only when hasn't already been driven that day so a cold engine, could this be tied in with the rich fueling in also getting so potentially when the problem started?

You have issues from just the fuel trims you posted but start with getting it through an mot first i think ..

Any garage should be able to look at the various readings and start to see if there are other problems .. to be honest i dont use co machines these days i just look at the values of the sensors .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back