Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Got carried away

Stever845

Monza
Well i went out to fit one of those ACP tandem oil pump covers and thought i would remove the bumper to make things easier. Then i thought i may as well remove the cats as well so I've got really good access and do a bit of cleaning at the same time, Well got carried away and ended up with this lol.

Attachments

• img_0468_109.jpg
    img_0468_109.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 5,236
Ive now taken all the spark plugs out new ones on order, the coils look good so will keep them .Im replacing all the coil screws with titanium ones and i need to get some bolts welded onto the exhaust brackest Im hoping that stainless ones can go on even though its not a stainless bracket,need to find a welder.

Attachments

• img_0447_187.jpg
    img_0447_187.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 5,229
Ok i have a couple problems i could do with a bit of advice with. I have a couple of broken bolts see pics any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• img_0454_210.jpg
    img_0454_210.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 5,219
  • img_0480_327.jpg
    img_0480_327.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 5,219
  • img_0475_127.jpg
    img_0475_127.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 5,219
You may need a stud extractor or worst case you gonna have to be handy with a drill and drill out the mofo, its a big hassle !! Hope you sort it out

Good luck

J

Blimy , you really are going to town here .. nice work :)

Im no expert on drilling out bolts im afraid so hopefully people here can offer some better advise but im a little concerned about the bolt that has snapped on the exhaust bracket ..

main reason is what the thread is in protrudes so in a sense you are drilling into a part that has little support , ive tryed before with a cam cover bolt which was smaller but basically the same and on drilling it just snapped the bit sticking out .. if that makes sense.

usual way is to cut it flush , punch mark and drill it out then use the kit below to repair or something similar .

Leaveing it upto the others how best to deal with this though , Alex ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1915...=9045806&device=c&campaignid=738081070&crdt=0

Is it possible to remove the exhaust bracket with the engine in ,it doesn't seem possible .I was hoping to get it off and treat the rust with something .

Not that im aware of , you would have to drop the engine at least to have a chance but even then i dont think theres enough clearence .

The bracket bolts and im afraid i dont touch them .. if it all goes pear shaped then theres 3 other bolts that hold the bracket so the exaust can be refitted .

Im hopeing someone here can offer better advise than me on how best to drill it out .. as you know .. i prefer electrics ;)

Tandem pump and i assume thats a cover bolt then you can remove the pump and drill it out .

I only ever change the entire pump im afraid .

Thanks Iain ,
its good to know your on the mend.
Ive drilled the small flush bolt just waiting for an easy out kit to arrive hopefully that will work but if it feels like its gona snap i will stop and keep drilling carefully and if needed learn how to use thread repair kit. That will be my practice run as its the tandem pump and if i screw it up i can get a new pump.
Then ill tackle the exhaust bracket stud .
Will be next Thursday now :thumb:

Stever845 said:
Thanks Iain ,
its good to know your on the mend.
Ive drilled the small flush bolt just waiting for an easy out kit to arrive hopefully that will work but if it feels like its gona snap i will stop and keep drilling carefully and if needed learn how to use thread repair kit. That will be my practice run as its the tandem pump and if i screw it up i can get a new pump.
Then ill tackle the exhaust bracket stud .
Will be next Thursday now :thumb:

Agree with your strategy, do all you can to get the stud out before attempting to helicoil, those kits from ebay are fine but not the best quality and the tap can snap if you are not careful, happened to me when trying to fix a side stand mount on my Ducati, luckily it didn't snap off inside, then you are in trouble.

If you have the right size drills you can sometimes drill the stud out to the extent of the thread and pick out the remaining steel thread with a spike or something. If you are lucky it might just pull out like a coil. Good luck :thumb:

Yeh i think i will buy some half descent drill bits and try an get away with keeping the original thread

If you can't weld a nut on the end, I'd hacksaw it off as flush as possible. File it flat flush with the block, centre pop it with a centre punch (in the centre) and then drill a mm or so less than the tapping drill, then tapping drill, then pick out or wind a tap down to remove the old thread. If that goes wrong, helicoil it. Only a bracket bolt so doesn't have to be as good as the manifold ones.

ps. After centre popping I'd do a start hole with a centre drill as you can easy wander with a normal drill.

pm seen Iain :thumb:

Centre drill:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Indu...ersink-Set-60-Drilling-Kit-BI340/272303586514

CentreDrill.png

Buy some Milwaukee brand drill bits, they are very good, mate of mine used them on his 996 turbo manifolds they did the business with no sweat.

Cheers guys,
I've ordered all the bits now hopefully get it sorted soon weekend maybe.
Any bolts that go back into Aluminium are all being replaced with titanium and everything else with stainless .
A guy who owns Hard knocks speed shop is going to weld stainless bolts on the mild steel exhaust brackets for me apparently he's superb.
I don't weld wish i did maybe I'l learn ,funny my Dad used to be a top welder in one of his many careers but lives miles away.

:mechanic:

Demort said:
Cheers Alex :thumb:

No problem, we're all in it together mate! Hope you're on the mend.

Buy some new undies!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back