Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Claying alternatives...

Robertb

I've never been especially fond of claying, is it always necessary?

Not clayed mine for 18 months, was wondering if some iron fallout remover and tar remover before snowfoam and washing, then my usual Zymol HD cleanse and wax will be sufficient.

Or any other less faffy alternatives to claying?

Best way firstly is to use a product such as 'Iron X'.
It basically breaks down all surface contaminents, turns them purple and then you're ready to hose them off. It does smell by the way but is brilliant!
Try it on your wheels first and watch them turn purple instantly.
Once decom'd I then lightly clay but you find the previous step rids the paint of all the nasties.
:thumb:

Garcia G3 Formula Clay mitt gets my vote, got mine from Halfords, makes the job easy and was pleased with results. Sure its been discussed before on here, do a search.

IMO claying is a vital stage in preparation for polishing if you want to achieve the best possible result.
It's not a job I mind doing and once it's been done fairly easy to go over your car to freshen the paint work say once a year.
Clay clothes and mitts are now used quite widely to speed up the process but I like to use a bar and work on a panel at a time.

I'm currently working through a multi stage full detail. Iron X de-tar and clay completed, about to start a 2 stage machine polish before a final coat of Swissvax :thumb:

Will Iron X not rid Tar?
If not, which de tar fluid do you use?

Iron x is fall out remover and won't remove tar.

I always use Tardis tar remover.

Both products do roughly the same function but on different contaminants.

I used to use valet-pro dragons breath on the wheels but it seems to coat the steel brake discs and takes qiuite of braking to remove it and yes it does smell like nothing else you've ever sniffed. Now use the Bilberry wheel cleaner, very pleased with it.

G3 clay mitt is very easy to use, plenty of lubricant and it does a good job.. If you feel the need to use a clay bar, the BH ones only need water as a lubricant.

CarPro Trix does both, iron and tar, works ace for me.

CarPro Trix does both, iron and tar, works ace for me.

stucart said:
Garcia G3 Formula Clay mitt gets my vote, got mine from Halfords, makes the job easy and was pleased with results. Sure its been discussed before on here, do a search.

:agree: Yup what Stu said

KJD said:
Iron x is fall out remover and won't remove tar.

I always use Tardis tar remover.

Both products do roughly the same function but on different contaminants.

Excited to try Iron X and Tardis, as I was just thinking about getting round to the annual polish...

What is "fall out"?

Sorry about the double post - not sure how that happened.

Getting all the stuff ready for my spring blitz too:

Trix
Clay
Poorboys SSR2
Poorboys Polish
Poorboys White diamond
Dodojuice Diamond white

In that order.

Yes it's a white car.

Cheers guys, I ordered some Bilt Hamber Korrosol iron remover, and some G Techniq tar remover.

The paint feels not too bad, so hopefully after decontaminating, claying shouldn't be too tedious as the paint feels mostly good...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back