Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT3 RS Brakes

RedRob

Hi,

Just looking for some advice regarding brakes on the 997 GT3 RS, I have seen a few cars with delaminating ceramics with owners, dealers unwilling to drop the price to allow for replacement. I am now considering cars with steel brakes, my question is do steel brakes affect future re-sale and how different are they on road and very occasional track day. Will I miss them!

RedRob said:
Hi,

Just looking for some advice regarding brakes on the 997 GT3 RS, I have seen a few cars with delaminating ceramics with owners, dealers unwilling to drop the price to allow for replacement. I am now considering cars with steel brakes, my question is do steel brakes affect future re-sale and how different are they on road and very occasional track day. Will I miss them!

Gen 1 or gen 2? On the gen1 the ceramic is a larger diameter than the steel, on the gen2 they are the same. Ceramics are a nice weight saving, keep your wheels clean with the much reduced brake dust. Is there a performance advantage? On the 997 id say miniscule at best, more down to the weight reduction than outright braking power and even then you could say that you are giving up some feel. If you do use them hard enough to eek out the advantage then you will definitely be into the expensive wear and tear you are currently seeing with thecras you are looking at. On a pure road car they are a nice to have. Personally i would be avoiding, plague like, on an older car and seeking out steels as a massive priority..

So, no, I doubt you would miss them IMHO

RedRob said:
Hi,

Think You need to be talking to Nick (NX120 on here) and have a look at his website see link below, for just what you need to solve your dilemma :)

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=100392

I have seen it on the forum and have searched but I can't find any info on the actual replacement cost/options for the PCCB on a 997 gen 1 RS?

IIRC...

Option 1 - Replace with OEM Discs & Pads
Option 2 - Replace with aftermarket?
Option 3 - Have the ceramic recoated??

Does anyone have the info and pro's/cons and costs?

Cheers :thumb:

I have them on mine so have done some research......AFAIK......

Option 1 - Replace with OEM Discs & Pads -
PCCBs from Porsche are expensive approx £4K per disc, steels not sure.

Option 2 - Replace with aftermarket? -
Surface transform CC discs are approx £4K (+ VAT per axle) and by reputation much more durable than OEM especially if used on track.
https://surfacetransforms.com/porsche-997-brake-kits#GT3
Steel replacements, wide range of prices depending on brand/ quality.

Option 3 - Have the ceramic recoated?? -
Rebrake based in Germany will refurbish PCCBs for £2250 fronts and £2100 rears (+ VAT per axle). Quality is supposed to be good but wait times and communication is apparently poor. You can do an exchange rather than wait for yours to be refurbished and pay a 700 euro deposit per disc..... but again I have heard that it takes a long time to get your deposit back.
https://www.rebrake.de/preise/?lang=en

If you are planning on tracking a lot Surface Transforms followed by steels would be your best options, but if not OEM or rebrake refurbished should be good for 100K + miles on the road.

Deffo give Nick a call at Uber9s. Not affiliated, but he really knows his onions!

For me i would be using steels, two piece bells and roters

https://uber9s.com/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back