Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hmmm my 996 failed the MOT on emissions today

kurlykris

Singapore
So my 996.1 failed the MOT today and is still in the local garage for them to hook up to their jiggery pokery machine tomorrow. I haven`t used her or taken her on a run for the last month or so.
I popped in to have a chat with them and they showed me the emissions results, passed on Fast Idle Test, but failed on the Second Fast Idle Test with a Lambda reading of 1.8**

When I got home I thought " I wonder what the reading was last year " MOT`d by the seller before I bought her, then realised I`d left the car document file in the car.

Ahh, I thought, I wonder what the results were on the Boxster last year as this was MOT`d at the same local garage, so got the file out and had a look......Fast Idle Test passed, Second Fast Idle test " not done " :dont know:

I`m now wondering to myself if they are taking the proverbial and trying to extract some cash as they know I have 3 cars and the Merc is booked in for a service and MOT next week :nooo: or have the rules changed in the last 12 months and the second test is compulsory :?:

Edit : I`ve told the MOT tester man to take her for a good blast and get her stinking hot before he has another look tomorrow, maybe that will swing it :lol:

I would start by having a good check around the exhaust for leaks. High lambda reading can be caused by that.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I would start by having a good check around the exhaust for leaks. High lambda reading can be caused by that.

MC

The boxes are all as new, though of unknown make, I did tell him to have a good look at the system though, he seemed to think that the car was running rich and it could be a lambda sensor problem, so he is going to look at the live data tomorrow.

I don`t understand why they didn`t do this test on the Boxster last year, yet have done it on the 996 this year as it would have been fine last year :dont know:

Im not an mot tester so not up on the rules but i think that if it doesnt pass the first fast idle test then they do a second , if it fails that then its a failed mot .. if it passed the first one then theres no need to do a second one.

A good " warm up " is very sensible .

Re it failing then i would have thought fault codes , fuel adaption readings etc on a tester would be obvious and so not a hard diagnosis if there is a fault .

Have you got a copy of the test results? A lambda reading over 1 is lean. You can get this from a leak with no fault code as the leak would be after the last lambda sensor so not sensed by the car. The car isn't actually running lean in this case, but air is geting in to the exhaust which is affecting readings. I had exactly this on a clio a few years ago.

MC

Demort said:
Im not an mot tester so not up on the rules but i think that if it doesnt pass the first fast idle test then they do a second , if it fails that then its a failed mot .. if it passed the first one then theres no need to do a second one.

A good " warm up " is very sensible .

Re it failing then i would have thought fault codes , fuel adaption readings etc on a tester would be obvious and so not a hard diagnosis if there is a fault .

Ahh, my bad there then Demort, I took a photo of the emmissions report, what you said sort of explains it :thumb:

If it is running rich can I water the Petrol down a bit :dont know:

:D

I still say air leak is the most likely cause. Have a good listen around with a length of tube.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I still say air leak is the most likely cause. Have a good listen around with a length of tube.

MC

Car is still at the MOT station MC, if they can`t sort it easily tomorrow then I`ll get her home for some fiddling and fettling over the weekend :thumb: along with fitting new discs and pads on the Boxster :grin:

A weekend of Porsche fun :sad:

Best of luck with it. At least pads and disks are easy.

MC

MisterCorn said:

MC

Turning out to be an expensive month Mate, with my useless manbrain I`ve managed to get all 3 cars due a service, MOT and Tax this month :wack:

kurlykris said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Turning out to be an expensive month Mate, with my useless manbrain I`ve managed to get all 3 cars due a service, MOT and Tax this month :wack:

I think it always the sam this time of year. I have just finished suspension and exhaust work on my C2. MOT and service on the turbo next week. New shock absorbers on my R107, then new timing chain for 560 SEC. Plus road tax for Turbo, DB9, C2, CSL, and 560 SEC. Not gumbling though, it is all self inflicted. :)

MC

MisterCorn said:
I think it always the sam this time of year. I have just finished suspension and exhaust work on my C2. MOT and service on the turbo next week. New shock absorbers on my R107, then new timing chain for 560 SEC. Plus road tax for Turbo, DB9, C2, CSL, and 560 SEC. Not gumbling though, it is all self inflicted. :)

MC

Ain`t that the truth MC, first world problems that we are lucky to have :grin:

So much for me swapping the Boxster for an Atom before summer :sad:

ragpicker said:
Neither of my porks have cats in and they never fail their MOT's....

....but then again my MOT's cost me a bottle of JD and 2 cartons of fags :?:

:dont know:

:grin:

Lol, oddly enough you scoundrel, my mate rang me this afternoon to ask if I knew of a dodgy MOT station to pass his R35 GTR Black edition...................of course I didn`t or I wouldn`t be in this position..............but later he gave me the name of one :grin:

Maybe my next option :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back