Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does anyone else get condensation on their 4S cabrio?

Anita

Hi, third time in three years that my 2011 has gone for a service, they say water is under the carpets and that the drain holes are blocked.
I am told i cannot clear drain holes
I am also told this happens to most cabrios not kept in a garage
Is this right?
Please help

A 2011 911 cabrio should not leak. They might get a bit of residual condensation in if they are kept outside, but this will quickly disperse with use. The carpets should certainly not be wet.

Is this one garage that has told you that 'they all do that'?

The drain holes are easy enough to clear... I'm sure someone here could advise how, or a good garage should be able to do it.

It could be something else, for example the membranes that seal behind the door trims.

I'd be interested in learning how to clean the drain holes

Hopefully someone like Alex will be along shortly with a master class

Osh

There's two areas you need to check the drain holes. The easy one is around the battery in the frunk. Pop off the plastic cover abouve the battery and you'll see the rubber drain holes at either side.

Read infrasilver's thread here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=114712

The other ones of concern run down either side of the rear seats behind the trims (that house the rear speakers). See No. 3 in the diagram below.

GT4 nails it here:

GT4 said:
Very common problem (especially if the car lives outside or is used in the rain, road debris gets washed down the drain holes and blocks them, then the next time it rains the drain holes overflow and water gets in the car).

997 basically = 996:

Rod your drain holes (or you can get OPC to)

photo%2B1.PNG

photo%2B2.PNG

photo%2B3.PNG

Door membranes:

post-4-1106258390.jpg

Not a 996 or 997, but this is basically what the membrane is/does:

Picture+0021192259567.jpg

6201850592_079c9a86c6.jpg

Do this when any debris may be soft and moist (ie after extended rain, or at a pinch after a decent washing drench).

Use an airline to blow clear, or old springy type plastic coated curtain "rod" (net-curtain wire) - you want it firm enough to push, but flexible enough to go round radii and not puncture the drain tubes with sharp edges:

net_curtain_wire.jpg

(remove the hook or eyes!!)

Access (rodding) may be easier via the lower exits.

This is illustrated in the diagrams and the photo of the wheel arch (behind wheel arch liner).

The exits you need to clear look like grommets.

IMG_20120519145828.jpg

IMG_20120519145852.jpg

Top man Alex - that superb.

i'll stick that on the list of things to do.... :thumb:

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back