Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 - 997.2 Turbo PDK

pzero

Do I miss the GT3 already?
Yes, I do, but to put some context into that I also miss the GTS I had before the GT3, and the two 997.1's before that.
I even miss the VW Golf Mark IV R32 that I parted with in 2009.
All have been manual transmission.

These are my opinions, other opinions are available.

I owned the GT3, for the best part of 20k miles and three years, and it was an immensely rewarding experience. Those miles were made up over three Euro tours throughout well known mountain ranges, popular and well documented marquee roads in France, and some lesser well known routes too. (doff cap to Jackal here) The North West coast of Scotland also deserves a mention as to roads where the right foot applied some spirit.
It has been tracked at Goodwood, but not what experienced track users would call hard.

Driving the GT3 for me is an event, the engine sound coupled with the exhaust note intoxicates like no other car I have driven, as the revs rise the drama simply increases. Above 4k revs aural pleasure comes in a different way! Climbing mountain passes under acceleration, with rock faces in attendance to rebound the sound through the valleys is something impossible to forget. Acceleration feels savage, explosive and urgent. I found the manual transmission precise, mechanical and totally analogue. Turn in is scalpel sharp.
The ride is certainly liveable on UK roads, press the setting buttons though and its harshness is very evident and not comfortable, or even desired. Under the harsher damping on board options this is one car that is definitely suited to Euro land or the track. A heavy clutch too means that if you find yourself in slow moving traffic for lengthy periods, or congestion through towns then your left foot will certainly notice it.
The ceramic brakes fitted to the GT3 are the most impressive stoppers I have used, but on first experience I had to learn to be more gentle with them at lower speeds.

I will miss the drama that the GT3 delivers.

These are early thoughts, I have had the Turbo for less than a week. I have already decided that Sport and Sport+ is where it's at. I am still experiencing, and learning the PDK transmission and I can see why it receives the plaudits it has for its efficiency. The cabin in the Turbo feels opulent, probably because it has leather where my previous two 911's didn't. (Leatherette, yuk, and Alcantara, yes please)
It's noticeable that the Turbo carries more weight than the GT3, and that more grunt is being delivered to shift the car to any sort of speed. The turn in is sharp and precise and there is an immense feeling of being hugely planted, which is understandable with the extra drive on hand from the front end.
One doesn't get into the Turbo to experience those visceral intoxications related to sound that are present with the GT3, because there aren't any by comparison. To some extent, from my early view, this applies to acceleration too when in drive auto mode. To experience the emotive accelerative sensation that I associate with the GT3 then for me I need to be in Sport +, and even then I'm still not feeling the out and out drama that the GT3 delivers in spades. Sport + though does bring plenty to the party, in terms of damping, throttle response, turn in and yes, even its acceleration. Is it just the lack of something as simple as noise? I don't think so but I ask myself the question anyway.
As one would expect from the Turbo it offers a great deal more in comfort and is all together more versatile in PDK, I don't think these are revelations however.
Chimp911 summed it up well a couple of years ago, the Turbo is a very efficient and very capable blunt instrument, the GT3 is a precision instrument. This makes sense to me.
The 997 Turbo PDK is an incredibly accomplished piece of kit, the most technically advanced car I have driven, the cabin is a good place to be, secure and confident. I will be keeping it for some time to come and I am going to enjoy the coming months and years ahead to become more intimate with it, it represents a fresh experience for me and I shall embrace it. I should be so fortunate to have the opportunity to enjoy these incredible machines.

If asked which 911 I would choose for one last drive, it would be the GT3.

So you'll not be taking advantage of the 'cooling off' period then? :grin:

Nice write up & you are very, very fortunate to have driven the cars you have. I'm a few years off that yet, but hopefully in the coming years :dont know: :thumb:

Great write up. I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the change. Having driven both, your summary is spot on. Enjoy!

Good write up, thanks. I totally get the GT thing although I've never owned one. I recently had the huge pleasure of a GT3RS at PEC Silverstone. The noise and power delivery is an attack of the senses. Brilliant.

I recently had a full Kline system fitted and 9E tune carried out on my 997.2 turbo. It's transformed the car. It now emits a glorious howl under load and is so, so bloody fast. Dunno what your views are on such mods but if you wish to increase the drama each drive, I'd consider it.

Very interesting early thoughts. :thumbs:

These Turbo slushboxes aren't bad motors for us old boys are they?

Give it a year and you'll have forgotten all about that third pedal and the stick thing :eek:ld:

Looking forward to a proper viewing next Friday.

I wouldn't put an old auto box in the same ball park as the PDK box. Two total different animals and as far apart as the old auto box vs a manual. Just my opinion though.

Would be interesting to know the difference in handling between the electro magnet AWD coupling vs the old viscous coupling.

Hi M,

Welcome to the club. :thumbs:

Just how 'young' is this turbo tool of yours? How many miles has it done?

Nice write-up. Am I write to read a little buyer's remorse between the lines or are you just trying hard not to dump,on gt3 owners In a 'been there, done that, moved onto better land...' kind of way?

Cheers

Jcx

Nice write up, I think the turbo will grow on you and look forward to another review in a years time :)

Great Write up P Zero..

your move mirrored my last 911 move 997.2GT3 to 997.2 Turbo S...

My thoughts are very similar regarding the difference in the sound of the N/A versus the turbo muted engine sounds ,

I find that I am using the Turbo a lot more than i used the GT3...which i know i should have used more given the roads on my doorstep but i found that i just wasnt.......

I like the fact that the Turbo now seems to be more of an 'Everyday' car rather than an event every time i ventured go out....

I had a similar move a few years before when going 997.1 turbo tip to 997.1 GT3 and that was for different reasons ... my main gripe being the Tip gearbox but the PDK is like night and day to the old box....

Like Norfolk, i have fitted a Kline ( inconel) exhaust and as he says it transforms the soundtrack , which wasnt that bad really whilst in Sport or Sport +..... but it cant really be driven in that mode all the time ..... i would recommend it if the urge takes you to mod a bit.

I shall look forward to any future updates..

Terry

PS Great colour by the way .....

:worship:

Jcx said:
Hi M,

Nice write-up. Am I write to read a little buyer's remorse between the lines or are you just trying hard not to dump,on gt3 owners In a 'been there, done that, moved onto better land...' kind of way?

Cheers

Jcx

Hi Joe, the Turbo has only covered 11.5k miles in its six years. I certainly don't see this as moving onto better things, more about different experiences of 911 ownership. Buyers remorse - covered that in the first few words. :thumb:

I was at the Classic Car Show at ExCel on Friday, there I saw several beautiful air cooled 911's and found myself thinking that when, and if, the time is right then that might be an avenue to explore in the future. May never happen though.

pzero said:
Jcx said:
Hi M,

Cheers

Jcx

Hi Joe, the Turbo has only covered 11.5k miles in its six years. I certainly don't see this as moving onto better things, more about different experiences of 911 ownership. Buyers remorse - covered that in the first few words. :thumb:

I was at the Classic Car Show at ExCel on Friday, there I saw several beautiful air cooled 911's and found myself thinking that when, and if, the time is right then that might be an avenue to explore in the future. May never happen though.

Hmm. If it helps, I never regretted selling my 964 even though I loved owning and driving it. I was very excited about the 997.2 turbo and thrilled when I got it. But, I must say that I like it more every time I drive it. It just becomes more a part of me, or I a part of it with more use.

I hope you grow to feel the turbo with a sensitivity that you don't yet feel.

Cheers

Joe

Jcx said:
pzero said:
Jcx said:
Hi M,

Cheers

Jcx

Hmm. If it helps, I never regretted selling my 964 even though I loved owning and driving it. I was very excited about the 997.2 turbo and thrilled when I got it. But, I must say that I like it more every time I drive it. It just becomes more a part of me, or I a part of it with more use.

I hope you grow to feel the turbo with a sensitivity that you don't yet feel.

Cheers

Joe

I view the Turbo as a significantly capable all rounder, of which I am already greatly impressed and yes, I am looking forward to my next drive which is tomorrow down to Chichester, even though it will be to a funeral.
This will be used far more than the GT3 for a variety of reasons. As I look at it out of the window I have no doubt that it will demand some emotive buy in from me. Jo we are lucky. :thumb:

My condolences M. We are lucky. I think the same every day. :thumbs:

Interesting write up.

I find my Turbo in performance completely monsters the GT3's I have been in and driven. Not had a go in a 991 GT3, though performance can't be that much difference to a 997.2 GT3.

I do get the noise, throttle response and sharpness of the GT3 (and for investment / deprecation lets not forget) but as a road car Id have the Turbo all day everyday. On a track well that's different - GT3 please.

:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back