Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC "Tax & Price Match" About Turn

Jcx

Estoril
Hi Gang,

Called a local OPC yesterday to get a price for Michelin PS2 (N2) tyres for my 997.2 Turbo. I am currently running Bridgestone RE050A tyres and I need new fronts. I generally prefer the Michelins so may bite the bullet and buy 4 new boots.

Anyway, called the OPC, I shan't mention the name, and asked for a price. The rears were quoted first at £400+ each fitted!! I nearly dropped the phone - I had been quoted £237.10 at Camskill for each rear - but managed to regain some composure saying "How much?! That's a crazy price."

"We don't keep them in stock." was the reply.

I explained that I had been quoted much less for supply only.

"Well I suppose I can give you 10% but any more and I'd need to speak with the service manager and he's away till Monday."

I explained that there was no point they were too far off reality.

she asked if I wanted a quote for the fronts and I politely declined saying "We should just stop this here, I am not going to be bringing you this business."

And then her reply truly floored me, "We will price match. Bring me a quote to match and I'll match it."

I explained that my quote would be a supply only price so what do they charge for fitting and she replied "Oh fitting is free. we don't charge for fitting."

So there you have it ladies and gents, this OPC will match Camskill prices and will fit for free - but only if you walk away when offered their pocket picking preferred rates first.

am I pleased or appalled? both I guess...

now before I dive in, when else do I need to check? If my TPMS senders need replacing, as well they might at 7 years old, what should I be paying for those?

Tyres

I used Tyres on the drive last year and rear N3 PS2s were about £220 each fitted. Was going to use Costco but they wanted 1 month to get them delivered.

IMHO, a terrible way for the OPC to conduct business. :what:

Their strategy is to assume that many customers will not query the price and will simply pay up. Then when pushed, they are prepared to knock £160 off a rear tyre (40%). Shows disdain and arrogance towards the customer. Hate this sort of sales tactic. I just want a good honest price, not necessarily the best price, and this is what gets my business in the first place followed by repeat business. Maybe I'm too "old school". :?:

Smoke and mirror tactics :what:

Yeah, bad news on the tyre escapade, I still wouldn't give them my business because they tried that on ....

On the TPMS ...I have used these guys , if you get the HUF part, it's OEM equipment ...
http://www.tpms.com/Porsche_TPMS

Terry

I agree. Shonky behaviour.

Thx also for the TPMS links Tel. As OEM are they suitable for warranty cover? I still have an OPC warranty.

That's shocking Joe. It might be a article to write about in the Total 911. :thumb:

As long as the tyres are N rated then they will be fine for warrenty .

OPC can not get tyres very cheap , Porsche tax so if they have dropped the price to match then i can tell you it will actually cost the OPC to supply them for you let alone fit them .. they WILL be doing it at a loss .

7 year old tps .. due for a replacement i would have said .

MNC911 said:
That's shocking Joe. It might be a article to write about in the Total 911. :thumb:

I think it may be mister. :thumbs:

But I do get the sense that t911 articles do tread a very fine line to report honestly while keeping advertisers and supporters onside. That said, they have very rarely edited my articles to remove anything contentious.

Demort said:

OPC can not get tyres very cheap , Porsche tax so if they have dropped the price to match then i can tell you it will actually cost the OPC to supply them for you let alone fit them .. they WILL be doing it at a loss .

Re warranty I was referencing the the TPMS not the tyres.

What do Porsche branded TPMS cost?

Jcx said:
Demort said:

Joe,

The OPC items are about 100 for the sensors + 25 for the valves EACH!!

They are HUF or BERU items as fitted by OPC.

I would imagine that they should be covered by warranty but might be worth a discrete question to the OPC .

Terry

911TEL said:
Jcx said:
Demort said:

Joe,

The OPC items are about 100 for the sensors + 25 for the valves EACH!!

They are HUF or BERU items as fitted by OPC.

I would imagine that they should be covered by warranty but might be worth a discrete question to the OPC .

Terry

Mmm thx Terry. I guess changing them as and when needed is the most cost effective. My car has done 33k miles so I guess it's use of the batteries in these TPMS is less than in some cars with 2x the miles. Hoping that may mean a longer life. :)

Blimey Joe, that's mental!
OPC never fail to surprise me nowadays. My local OPC lost all my service work by trying to overcharge me by 200%!
I now use Zuffenhaus who cannot do enough for you. You even get a free T shirt with every service :thumb:

Chief said:
Blimey Joe, that's mental!
OPC never fail to surprise me nowadays. My local OPC lost all my service work by trying to overcharge me by 200%!
I now use Zuffenhaus who cannot do enough for you. You even get a free T shirt with every service :thumb:

Ha my mum's Renault 5 once got a free pair of girls knickers after a service. I used to borrow her car and upon inspection I was able to confirm that they were unknown to me... must have been quite a post service test drive the mechanic enjoyed. :floor:

"Switz Swooo" :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back