Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

R8 4.2 anyone else had one?

ChrisT70

600m in on mine so far bringing it back from a tour of Ireland and it's very impressive. Not a massive amount faster than the 993 but it has the v8 torque to that let's you potter around in 4th if needed before heading for the horizon.
Steering is very precise, brakes are fabulous. It does everything quite well without being spectacular. It's got a superb exhaust fitted so it's not bland as I often hear people describe them. The bang&olufsen stereo is fabulous, carbon trim finishes it off nicely, overall it's a nice replacement for the 993 S
So far so good!

Attachments

• 20170219_123138_2124x1195_104.jpg
    20170219_123138_2124x1195_104.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 13,343
Engine bay

Tidy enough !

Attachments

• 20170219_123021_1328x747_139.jpg
    20170219_123021_1328x747_139.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 13,339
I really like these. I look forward to hearing more about it in the future.

MC

Great looking car. 8)

Do you find you get a lot more attention in it Chris? They're not quite as 'under the radar' as a 993 so I imagine that it might be a bit of a culture shock changing to the R8.

Have you got the added LED mood lighting option in the engine bay that some came with :dont know: The wife's hairdressers has that one :thumb:

Had a 4.2 V8 R8 in sepang blue, with the carbon side blades, for 5 years. A clone of yours. :thumbs:

A great car, and a real sense of occasion every time I jumped into it. :thumb:

Pros : easy to drive and potential for day-to-day use; glorious V8 burble; cabin design, especially hoop around the dash; manual gearbox had rifle-like precision; attracted positive attention wherever it went

Cons : never supported well by the dealer - took 12 months to resolve one issue; random problems that were never properly explained; paint readily chipped and hard to touch in; loose rear end when booting it around tighter bends; still an Audi

Would I have another one? Certainly, as a second car. The V8 is arguably even more of a driver's car than the V10.

Chris, health to enjoy and take care. :lol:

Zingari said:
Have you got the added LED mood lighting option in the engine bay that some came with :dont know: The wife's hairdressers has that one :thumb:

:floor: Subtle as ever!

I think it looks great and think I'd probably take one over a similarly priced 911 if I didn't need rear seats once in a while.

Never driven one though, but I like that it's less common and like the looks and bigger engine/nice interior.

It's a car I'd like to have once I've sold my Turbo but would have to have extended leather and ideally bucket seats but I wouldn't be fussed about the mag ride. I know it was a supposed must have early on but I just see it as a big expense waiting to happen.

On the other hand if I'd been advised when buying one new that you don't need extended leather I'd of been seriously dissapointed with that material on the dash they use as standard.

I've drove a few, but never owned one. Love the noise (even better with Zaust or Mod) and the looks although it still reminds me of two different cars joined together, are growing on me.

The V8 For such a high end expensive model should be considerably faster though. That's its weakness, but nice car none the less

It's got the extended leather, sat navigation, phone prep, carbon interior, basically the guy went to town with £17k worth of extras, so I got a really nice spec car. It's also got the eisenmann exhaust which sounds fabulous in open mode. I can't see me ever using the closed option on the remote.
My nephew age 8 loved his first passenger ride today. Unfortunately yes it does attract more attention than the 993 so let's hope not a negative.

17k is a massive amount of extras on an R8, sounds like the Ob ticked everything! :) Does it have the buckets also?

No I think that was the only option not ticked. Very much a car you could drive to Europe in.

Never really liked them personally.

Was interested when they first came out, went on a couple of test drives with a view to purchase but couldn't get it out of my head that it was exactly the same inside as the A3 quattro we had at the same time.

That and the fact it was much slower than it should have been.

There's about 6-7 on my estate and they look nice. I enjoy seeing them out and about, but wouldn't get one myself due to the above reasons.

My neighbour has one.....when the 993 and R8 are on the driveways the kids love the R8 and the petrolhead Dad's the 993.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back