Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who once owned a Jap Rocket?

Alex

Most members must have gone through a phase in the 90s of owning some sort of Japanese turbo charged 'sports' car. I used to have a chipped 200sx 1.8 turbo. Pretty nippy for a 170bhp car with 0-60 at 6.7 seconds on the stock car. Reckon mine was just shy of 6. Absolute lunacy to drive, especially when booting it in 2nd into a bend, the turbo kicking in halfway round, back end out, then the LSD working its nuts off to pull the car straight again as you exited the bend and rocketed up to 60 in a couple of seconds. Was tremendous fun, although had the weight and handling of a pack of confetti!!

Seems like only yesterday. Thinking back, it was around 1998. Ended up writing it off slamming in to the side of some old bloke who couldn't just distance when pulling out a junction.

Was light metallic blue but very similar in looks to the one below.

What did you guys own? I'm expecting a few Jap imports and the likes of 300ZX, Skyline, MR2 Turbo, RX-7, GTO, Lancer Evo I, II or III, Impreza, Supra, etc.

27399576-753-640x640.jpg

Got a real softspot still for the jap stuff

Had an MR2, 200sx S13 black with uprated turbo chip and dump valve, 2 S14 200sxs and an Impreza.

Got to admit the best fun was the S13 but absolutely lethal in the wet it was so light and the turbo just seemed to kick in from 0-100% and guaranteed to go sideways at every opportunity....those were the days when i wasn't frightened to go sideways around every roundabout. :thumb:

I'm not sure I'd class it as a rocket but it in 1991 my 1.8ZX Turbo (Silvia) was the fastest thing I'd ever owned.

I had a few during the jap import boom, first was Sunny/pulsar GTI-R , then a Celica GT4 then onto an Impreza STI 3 and a 4.

Always wanted an Evo Tommy Mac edition.

The only Jap car I have owned was an NSX. Sold it last year. I guess it doesn't count as not turbocharged.

MC

T8 said:
I'm not sure I'd class it as a rocket but it in 1991 my 1.8ZX Turbo (Silvia) was the fastest thing I'd ever owned.

Awesome car. Used to love these!! Neighbours just bought an Isuzu Turbo to do up. They always reminded me of the Silvia.

:thumb:

MisterCorn said:
The only Jap car I have owned was an NSX. Sold it last year. I guess it doesn't count as not turbocharged.

MC

Believe me - it counts!!!!!!!

I had a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX with a custom remap (280bhp), lightweight flywheel, and full Prodrive exhaust, CL RC5+ pads, three spoke wheel, custom gear knob, mini mud flaps, 20mm H+R spacers, and 205 section Nokian studded winter tyres.

I loved it, one of the quickest cars I have ever owned for actually getting somewhere, winter or summer. It was a sort of grey/beige with silver rims. There's nothing like spinning up all four wheels in a corner, and just going round with no steering lock at all...

I still want another, as well as a Honda S2000, to scratch that JDM itch.

Attachments

• 1rqghzy_heq5pm8hvuveobljsehqmduj5nst7rqgpqi_174.jpg
    1rqghzy_heq5pm8hvuveobljsehqmduj5nst7rqgpqi_174.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 9,640
  • xsa7rzg011os91rvmfu5sl4w_vzrt_eh1stjipfraxm_860.jpg
    xsa7rzg011os91rvmfu5sl4w_vzrt_eh1stjipfraxm_860.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 9,636
Various - but it seems a lot of us have had S13's!

I had two, one modified, one standard. Here's the modded one; had it about 6 years in the end. RR'd at 302bhp, but when I consider what it cost me over the years I could cry.

The standard one:

Also had an R32 GTS-t:

And then a DC2 Integra Type R:

Also had a bunch of other stuff, an MA70 Supra Mk3, AE92 Corolla and a few other bits n bobs too.

2nd one down was identical to mine.

I have a real soft spot for the 200SX had 3xS14A's and an S13. Also an RX-7 FD3S, R32GTR, Sunny GTI, & Almera GTi. Would love an NSX

I have had 7 Celica gt4''s
An st165
2 st 185
and 4 st205
I currently have an st205 wrc and a narrow body st185

The wrc took me 2 years to restore, pretty much full a nut and bolt restoration, I took the 185 off the road in the summer and made a start on that one as well.

The 185 before being dismantled

the wrc after it was finished

Subaru Legacy Turbo ('93 L-reg)
Subaru Impreza Turbo ('99 V-Reg)

Both were superb cars. Particularly the Legacy

I had a few in no particular order, all pre 2000

X2 200sx first new on a H plate then facelift on a J. Lost that car more than any other on roundabouts including get x2 360s at lowish speed with the turbo kicking in, never any damage, crazy in the wet

X2 300zx one of my favourite cars back in the day

X1 S2000 one of the first in the country, hated the VTECH engines

X3 scoobies (two UK one import) nb the first two where pre playstation popularity. One of the best B road cars ever.

I had a gtr for 9 months as a company car as well later on

Had to google the pictures but:

AE86 in Gold

1984 slammed AE86 Corolla in Gold. Taught me about RWD handling.

127.jpg

White Second Gen 1986 RX-7 non-turbo (I bought with genuine 13k on clock in 1994 - incidently when my 993 was born!). Only has 35k on the clock today! Was speaking to the current owner - who still has it and I'm toying with buying it back - as he's selling it soon.

RX7_mk2_4.jpg

Red Second Gen 1989 RX-7 Turbo II (No weight over the rear, went like a bullet, lowered, chipped, mental!). Bloke who has the white one only sold it about 3 months ago! Would love another go in it.

1989-mazda-rx-7-turbo-2-with-lots-of-upgrades-2.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back