Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering a 2005-2008 4.5/4.8 Cayenne Turbo few questions

Ibb

Hi everyone,
I'm looking at moving over to a Cayenne Turbo to replace my 2.7 RRS, I've had 3 Range Rovers in a row- 2 Vogues and this Sport and quite frankly I've had enough, the Sport has just pretty much self destructed at 100k and has cost me over £4K in repairs in the 10 months I've had it!.
Plus it looks like diesels are facing impending doom so looking at jumping ship.
From what I've read the Turbo is the best bet in terms of spec and engine reliability?, what is a realistic MPG for one?, in no stranger to big petrol engines as I've had a E55 and SL55 in the past, is 15-18 in normal driving realistic?, I'm only getting 24 out of the RRS.
The other main thing I wanted to ask about is reliability, what are the common things that go on them?, I've heard a few scare stories about the Sat Nav/stereo system going wrong but that's about it.
Lastly I want to get one that's Euro 4 compliant, were they Euro 4 early before the 06 deadline?, and is it worth stumping up the extra for a 4.8?, or like most things but on condition.
Is there much difference between the 4.5 and 4.8?.
Any advice much appreciated.

I went for a 2003 turbo and have not regretted it.
Similar reasons to yourself in terms of reliability as I heard of the cylinder coating on the 4.5 S can be eaten away and cause rough running/bad compression issues.
I was surprised the turbo had a different cylinder coating but that is what everything I read says, so apparently that is why they do not suffer the same issue.

MPG around towns seems to dip under 20 MPG but then again it was reported to do the same for the non-turbo Cayenne S model also and so there seems very little MPG difference until you get to the diesel which are a lot more pricey!
In short, none of the petrol's are great on fuel economy so I decided I would rather go for the 450 BHP monster with strong compression!

Coolant pipes on all the petrol models seem to be the main thing that need to be changed from the standard (plastic) to the upgraded item (aluminium).

The other item they all can have an issue with is the drive train as the cardan shaft/drive shaft centre bearing mount to the rear is a bit weak to handle the weight of them...if it has air suspension (most turbo's seem to be spec'd with it) then you can put it in highest position and check by carefully pushing up and down for movement at your own risk!

It's pretty well documented online and you will see there is a kit that basically means you can fit a replacement mount (EPS solution).
Mine seems to be solid enough and the EPS replacement solution doesn't cost the earth so it's not that big a worry if you can do some basic mechanicals.

I'm in Hertfordshire so if you're really interested then feel free to come and take a look and I can show you about mine for reference.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back