Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2nd hand 911 price increases, year on year, have your say...

MNC911

So this evening I'm debating with the idea of a 991 cabriolet. I'm looking through the PCGB magazine and PH & AT at prices. Which has sparked a new 2017 debate on second hand prices for everyone to get involved.

So we've seen the 993's, Turbo's, GTS's go up year on year since the end of 2014.

Are we seeing traders shoring up the 997 prices across the gen 1 & gen 2's as well?

I'm seeing '05, 55k mls £28,000
'06, 54k mls tip £29,000
'56, 54k mls tip cab £33,000
'07, 55k mls tip £33,000
'07, 40k mls tip £36,000
09, 35k mls PDK £46,000

Choices taken from well known Porsche dealerships.

I believe it's because the models were becoming to close in terms of price if they'd continued. As the 996 bottomed out.

Anyway, have you say...
:thumb:

For a current Billy no Porsche these prices are a disaster.

I considered a mint very low miles white 997 GTS, about 12 months ago IIRC, with Mark Pearce, priced at 59,995.00, that car now? easy 10 k more.

997.2 S which were siting at 45 are now 50 plus, and the supposedly unfavoured 3.6 (345) has also seen huge increases.

997.1 and 2 turbos, lets not even go there... Not sure why on any of the above!

Even 997.1 seem to have crept up a lot, new 15 year warranty?

I think the 991.1 is personally next to start heading the wrong way due to the new turbo models. Seems about the only depreciating model (at the moment). Personally I see the higher end 997.2 just too expensive compared to a 991 :nooo:

I bought my 3.6 pdk for £33.5K in April 2015 (so almost 2 years old).

Spoke to 911 virgin about trading it in for a GTS - they said they'd put mine up for around £36k - give me around £32K... Probably means I could get my money back either privately or SOR.

I think well looked after models are certainly on the rise and the 15 year warranty def has something to do with it.

At OPC, very little under £35k for 997's where as a few years ago, that line was around £30k.

If you are one of those cars, enjoy the appreciation, it doesn't happen very often.

My wife's mini has lost around £8k in the last couple of years.

:eek:

just take a look at the prices for air cooled cars which have been going up for years.
This is now having a knock on effect on water cooled models.

The 996 has had a dreadful reputation but prices for good cars are now going up as many people want to get into a 911 but can't afford or don't want to pay £50k for a 964 with 100k miles on the clock. So why not pay £10k - £20k for a 996 and risk some engine problems.

So as 996 prices go up so will 997 prices and more desirable models such as GTS and Turbo will rise even more due to the fact that there is fewer cars about.

Newer models such as the latest 991 will always lose large chunks of money in the first years.

Just my two pence worth and I think it's good news for 996 and 997 owners who may actually see their cars retaining or increasing in value. from my point of view I hope that air cooled prices continue to rise.

:D

Prices may be going up...whats the buyers market like...is anyone buying these cars?

i have seen some on ebay been on sale for over a year...

RedJedi said:

Spoke to 911 virgin about trading it in for a GTS - they said they'd put mine up for around £36k - give me around £32K... Probably means I could get my money back either privately or SOR.

I think well looked after models are certainly on the rise and the 15 year warranty def has something to do with it.

At OPC, very little under £35k for 997's where as a few years ago, that line was around £30k.

If you are one of those cars, enjoy the appreciation, it doesn't happen very often.

I think the 3.6 PDK is one of the best and most underrated 911's out there :thumbs: probably the worst thing I ever did getting rid of mine. There's plenty sitting at around 45 at the moment at OPCs which is crazy money. Also seems a big difference between manual and PDK.

spongebob squarepants said:
Personally I see the higher end 997.2 just too expensive compared to a 991 :nooo:

I was in the market for a 991.1 C4S a few months ago and the prices were high for the 2012-3 cars. I went to OPC Leicester for a mooch and saw a 2010 997.2 C4S MY2011 parked next to a 2012 MY2013 C4S launch model and the difference in price was £20k. From that point on the 997 became a real contender and when I took it out on a test I made my mind up to have it within 5 mins.

Will be interesting to see what happens when more 991.2s hit the road this year and people chop in their 3-4 year old cars. For now though I think a nice spec 997.2 is somewhat of a sweet spot...at least I hope it is ;)

spongebob squarepants said:
RedJedi said:

I think the 3.6 PDK is one of the best and most underrated 911's out there :thumbs: probably the worst thing I ever did getting rid of mine. There's plenty sitting at around 45 at the moment at OPCs which is crazy money. Also seems a big difference between manual and PDK.

Interesting thoughts Sponge. 3.6PDK is same bhp as gen 1 3.8S - and I went from gen 1 3.8S to 3.6pdk.

Cost me £3k to di it, and I would have had to spend £3k on the older one anyway so no brainer.

Wouldn't swap mine for 3.8S, but maybe a GTS or Turbo.

Having said that, 3.6 does the job for me as a daily.

I suppose as more 991.1 start coming into the market, this could challenge prices for 997's.

I think 996s have bottomed out, and well looked after models are on the up.

Just like the 993's.

Interesting thread. I'm sure lots of owners of the more "standard" - i.e. Not the GTs, turbos - didn't buy really expecting them to appreciate, maybe just not depreciate too quickly. Do we need to start getting into the realms of guaranteed value Insurance policies that have become so popular/necessary in the air-cooled world???

Well the way I see things at the moment my next 911 will be a 991 3.6 similar performance to a Gen 2 3.8c2S and not much more dosh :thumb:

I was thinking along the lines of a 991 cabriolet. I think it's a bad time to trade up to a newer model. There's far more .8's sold than .6's but I have to remain neutral and say the 3.6 is more than enough, here's the stats:

It's incredibly quick. The base Carrera now hits 62mph in just 4.9sec instead of 5.0sec. And where the old Tiptronic took 5.5sec, the PDK twin-clutch version needs just 4.7sec, or an incredible 4.5sec if you add the Sport Chrono Plus package which brings launch control.

Figures like that make the Carrera S seem almost superfluous but its performance improves by a similar margin. It now reaches 62mph in 4.7sec with the manual, 4.5sec with PDK and 4.3sec with PDK and Sport Chrono Plus. This latter version also just scrapes under the 10sec to 100mph marker – a benchmark which divides seriously quick cars from the merely rapid.

I think its nice the 911's are on the rise, Fezza and Lambo have been enjoying it for years, and Porsches add a lot more value for money given current prices. So yes all for it. Not so good if you are on the hunt though.

Rule of thumb put your money on something you can put these words in front of "last of the"

Boba fett said:
I think its nice the 911's are on the rise, Fezza and Lambo have been enjoying it for years, and Porsches add a lot more value for money given current prices. So yes all for it. Not so good if you are on the hunt though.

Rule of thumb put your money on something you can put these words in front of "last of the"

Very true very true words, and of which goes for nearly all things marketed. As in the case with Porsche. The Last of the original Porsche was air-cooled and look at their values now. There's no denying the fact the 997 in the generation 2 form was and is the best. It finally ironed out all of the original flaws and design errors which quite frankly would of been the end of the manufacturer if it hadn't released the Boxster. Sales are OK(ish) but ultimately every manufacturer under the sun can bolt a turbo on their engine to make it faster. Now all of them have them.

The more I think about it I can see the 997.2 being more desirable. The reviews of the 991.1's and 991.2's haven't exactly been 'oh wow'.

European emissions laws and scrutiny means you're never going to buy another Porsche with a V6 to listen to on an open road or through the twisties. And that ladies and gentlemen is why they're going to keep going up in price. The answer : You cannot order them...

MNC911 said:
Boba fett said:

Very true very true words, and of which goes for nearly all things marketed. As in the case with Porsche. The Last of the original Porsche was air-cooled and look at their values now. There's no denying the fact the 997 in the generation 2 form was and is the best. It finally ironed out all of the original flaws and design errors which quite frankly would of been the end of the manufacturer if it hadn't released the Boxster. Sales are OK(ish) but ultimately every manufacturer under the sun can bolt a turbo on their engine to make it faster. Now all of them have them.

The more I think about it I can see the 997.2 being more desirable. The reviews of the 991.1's and 991.2's haven't exactly been 'oh wow'.

European emissions laws and scrutiny means you're never going to buy another Porsche with a V6 to listen to on an open road or through the twisties. And that ladies and gentlemen is why they're going to keep going up in price. The answer : You cannot order them...

I agree, the 997.2 NA is a good Car, But in Turbo form I still think it will be the Gen 1 because its "the last of the Mezger Manual Turbo's"

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back