Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 981 owner

Benjs

As i'm sure you'll see i'm not new to Porsche ownership, but i'm new to Cayman 981.

Just thought i'd drop a quick Hello and a photo before i'm sure bombarding you all with doubtless questions (i have already sussed the fluid covers need some work as they creak a bit)

DSC_0971.jpg

:thumbs: :thumbs:

You'll find there are a few 911 & 981 owners on here :thumb:

At least I think I have a 981, I bought one a few weeks ago but have not seen it since :roll:

Well done Ben, I did the 911 to 981 move and it's a great car. So balanced and predictable.

The 2.7 is a great engine, do you have the PSE on it ?

More pics please.....

ET

Re: 981

Ecky993 said:
Well done Ben, I did the 911 to 981 move and it's a great car. So balanced and predictable.

The 2.7 is a great engine, do you have the PSE on it ?

More pics please.....

ET

Just back after a weekend away with the Cayman so no more pics at the moment (it's filthy!)
Really getting to like the 2.7, you can really use all of its performance. Unfortunately mine doesn't have PSE but that may be a later addition

Welcome back Ben after that long 2 week absence from Porsche ownership, I hadnt realised you were staying with Pork just changing the cut lol , Good to see you stayed with Red mate . :thumb:

That was a miserable time, but back with a big smile. If the dvla can pull their thumb out and get my private reg off my 330 xdrive I'll be even happier. I've already sorted a freelander hse to munch up the miles (and keep the odd sniffy customer happy). Then sell the BMW (probably to we steal any car) and the swap will be completed.

And yes it's been to work every day since I had it :)

Lovely car. Not asking for a 981 is better than 997 or vice versa type assessment, but now that you've put a few miles on the Cayman, how does it compare to the 997, in terms of its character and feel?

MJA911 said:
Lovely car. Not asking for a 981 is better than 997 or vice versa type assessment, but now that you've put a few miles on the Cayman, how does it compare to the 997, in terms of its character and feel?

Honestly i'm amazed at how different they are.

First the obvious. The 997S is a lot faster. But I think a large amount of that is the shove in the back feeling. This also only tells part the story though as the 981 is plenty quick it just you are less aware of the speed until you look down at the speedo. It is sort of effortless. This is both a good and bad thing I suppose as it's less raw but on a day to day basis a lot more driveable.

The interior is as big a step forward as the 997 was from my 996. It's a modern car with all the bells and whistles you need, but more importantly they work well to. I do miss the leather dash, but it's a small price to pay.

Seating is more comfortable in 981, BUT i will add a caveat that it's PDK so without the clutch travel maybe i'm not moving in the seat as much and therefore more comfortable.

PDK is fantastic. There is no more to add.

Last but not least is handling and this is where the difference lies. My best example is driving down the M69 the other week. I suddenly hit a bank of monsoon heavy rain. Other than slowing for the wipers to have chance to clear the screen i felt no need to lift off. The only thing i have ever driven that sticks to the road this well is a track set up Lotus Elise. The 981 however manages to do it with a comfortable ride too! You just never feel like it's about to throw you into the scenery. This i'm sure is due in part to the 2.7 which possibly doesn't stretch the performance enough to get you into trouble quickly but i don't think the 3.4 would be able to shake it's confidence blasting down an A road.

Don't get me wrong I miss the 997, but not so much i'd want it back

Interesting write up, thanks, food for thought. Never driven a 981 of any description, must put that right :grin:

One last oddity almost. I have had people stop me to comment on how nice the 981 looks (even in traffic!) I'm sure it's the colour that makes it stand out. In the 997 a couple of Porsche owners made comment, but never anyone else. Could be the perceived value/inverted snob factor. I am still also to convince the neighbours little lad it's not a Ferrari. Apparently the Porsche badge is not enough to persuade him :floor:

I did the 911 to 981 change and I'm so glad I did. I love them both but the 981, for me, just has that little bit more of something.....
Congratulations on the purchase! You'll love it :thumb:

Benjs said:
One last oddity almost. I have had people stop me to comment on how nice the 981 looks (even in traffic!) I'm sure it's the colour that makes it stand out. In the 997 a couple of Porsche owners made comment, but never anyone else. Could be the perceived value/inverted snob factor. I am still also to convince the neighbours little lad it's not a Ferrari. Apparently the Porsche badge is not enough to persuade him :floor:

I've been genuinely surprised how much positive attention the 981 gets :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back