Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

N-rated Michelin 17in Ps2s - correct name?

stevewak

Nurburgring
Ordering set of 4 new tyres to replace Contis (rears out of stock, need these as worn and fronts to replace old ones). Considering a wheel refurb at the same time.

Trying to get my head round the precise name of the regular Michelin N-rated tyres in order to decide how to handle it.

Can someone confirm if 255/40ZR17 94Y MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2 (PS2) N3 is correct for rear? The fronts are 205/50R17 89Y MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 2 N3? No 'Z' - is this correct? From Event Tyres.

Thanks.

Hello,

I just checked my Michelin PilotSport 2s:-

Fronts 205/50 ZR17 (89Y) N3 (Bought 2012)
Rears 255/40 ZR17 (94Y) N3 (Bought 2015)

The fronts have the Z rating as well.

The important thing is to have the "N" rating as that is specific for Porsche. I understand the 986 Boxster had the same tyre sizes so this means the tyres are available.

Micheledever tyres in Andover are closely associated with Michelin so it might be worth checking with them.

I haven't bought tyres for two years so the N number may have changed. I should be getting a new set in two months.

The Dragonmeister said:
Hello,

The important thing is to have the "N" rating as that is specific for Porsche. I understand the 986 Boxster had the same tyre sizes so this means the tyres are available.

Micheledever tyres in Andover are closely associated with Michelin so it might be worth checking with them.

I haven't bought tyres for two years so the N number may have changed. I should be getting a new set in two months.

Thanks Dragon. Just bit the bullet and had them fitted today. N3 and made in 2016. With a lot of "You sure these are the right ones..." to my tyre guy in Hemel. I'll be interested in how long the rears last - could only get two years and 4000 miles out of the Contis. Immediately felt good driving back in the rain.

It depends on your driving style and alignment settings. The fronts have done 26,000 miles and will be replaced due to age this year. The last set of rears I got 13,000 miles.

The Dragonmeister said:
Hello,

So far down the line though does anyone care about the actual N rating if high performance premium tyres are fitted? The pilot sport 4 I have are fabulous tyres but as I understand it not N rated for porsche yet?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back