Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Aluminium panels on the 981?

tim993

Zandvoort
I've only just noticed that some of the panels on the Boxster are not steel. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am! I thought they reserved this for the sportier 911 derivatives, not the humble Boxster:

Anyhow, I was washing the car earlier today and tapping the various panels revealed that the doors, boot and bonnet sound different and wouldn't respond to a magnet, so i guess they are made of aluminium or perhaps this is just a skin over a steel frame - I didn't think to check that and it's now tucked up under a cover in the garage...

Does anyone know the fulls details? I've tried Googling but as ever it doesn't have precise information - the best i could find being that the 981 generation cars made use of aluminium in the chassis??

tim

Thanks Demort :thumbs: :thumbs:

That's a great brochure - I'm going to have to find a copy for the bookshelf.

According to that diagram the car has lots of aluminium in it. That's got to be good for the long term survival of these cars.

all the best

tim

Still amazes me how you can produce a chassis that stiff with no roof and no carbon fibre structure at the centre. I literally can detect no scuttle shake at all and the car wears 20" rims with quite low profile rubber and there really is not a lot of room for much suspension travel. Bloody marvelous engineering :worship:

tim993 said:
I've only just noticed that some of the panels on the Boxster are not steel. I don't know why I'm surprised, but I am! I thought they reserved this for the sportier 911 derivatives, not the humble Boxster

981 and 991, like 987 and 997 and 986 and 996, are mid- and rear-engine versions of the same car. Front 2/3rds is shared bar some cosmetic overpanels etc (not even that on the 986 and 996 first gen that shared front wings, door skins, the lot). Rear third is a mid- or rear-engine module that plugs in.

Indeed, if you're talking Carrera and Boxster, the engine is the same, too. Think of it more like 3 Series coupe, touring and saloon and estate - 3 Series 4WD coupe versus RWD touring. Same core car, some variants on drivetrain and body parts.

People often talk about Boxsters and 911s sharing parts. Really, it's the other way round. Same core car, but each version has some of its own parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back