Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

my poor engine

cueball44

Silverstone
i paid a visit to hartech yesterday to see the remains of my poor engine.
i was given the grand tour of the facilities bygrant a very nice guy as it happens. any way i digress it seems my crankshaft bearing failed causing a conrod to snap amongst other things loads of pieces of metal frangments the upshot being i need a new short block engine from porsche so a full engine rebuild and a nice big bil l but at least at the end of it i will have an engine that will be future proofed and as strong as it can be and give many more miles of smiles. :)

Good to hear you are getting it sorted Graeme. Should be a great engine when its done. Might be worth speaking to Churny (Paul Churnside) from Newcastle who comes on some of the local runs - he had his 40th AE rebuilt at Hartech and was well pleased. He can give you the lowdown on what he had done. I use them for my routine servicing even though its a bit of a drive - they certainly have a great set-up.

Hopefully see you on a run shortly and you show us what you had done.

Cheers....Ian

thanks for that ian i look forward to getting out in the car when its done i should have put this post on the 996 forum but as i was on the meets forum it appeared there i am not very good with these things anyway hope to catch up with you soon :)

Graeme. Sorry to hear the extreme nature of your engine failure. It is obviously in good hands and soon to be blasting down the 66 again.

Look forward to meeting up.

John

Graeme, it's only money....... :grin:
Just think of all the fun you're going to have giving it some when you get your "new" engine....how long will it take to complete?
My offer still stands if you want to ride with me till it's done....if we ever get through the dark days/nights and it warms up a bit.
Can't wait for March until SORN is over.....
right...who's organizing a run out ?

JohnH

Hi Graeme,

I was hoping it might have been possible to retain the block and repair the moving bits. That's an eyewatering size of a job with a price to match (ouch!).

It's a puzzle to understand the engineering explanation for such a catastrophic failure.

Hope it doesn't take too long. Plenty passenger seat offers in the mean time.

What about polishing the broken bits and selling them as ornaments? Make the old block into a coffee table?

Cheers, Keith.

Graham, will be worth it when it is done, it is in t he best place, I know the car is your baby and it will be worth every button when done.
You could do well without the expense no doubt, but hat a great car you I'll be getting back.
I will hopefully catch up with you and the NE lads over the coming year, in the meantime chin up and get a few extra days in to pay for it.
ATB Jim.
:thumb:

....... I am glad you have had it diagnosed and it is safe hands ....... good luck ...... but I think your post might be better off in the right forum for your particular model of Porsche ....... Meets and Events it certainly ain't ...... :)

MOD EDIT: Sorted. :thumb:

madalaa thank you for moving my post to the appropriate place.thanks lads for your .kind words and thoughts keith the block has to go porsche as part x hartech will also have to part rebuild it before it goes to porsche as they will not accept it in bits :dont know: i wish i had taken a picture of the damage it looked like a bomb had gone off in the block there was so much damage for what was a barely audible pop :? still onwards and upwards :) and yes john i would gladly take up your kind offer i hope to see you all soon

Sorry to hear this.

Maybe a rebuild before something like this can happen, is the way forward for a lot of us - Hartech often hint we should all consider it.

Do you know how much extra this is going to cost now you have to replace the short block?

Graeme,

Sorry to hear about your engine.. It will all be worth it when you get it back!

Can I ask how many miles you had on the clock when the failure happened?

All the best, N

Sorry to hear about your problems buddy.

Mine was rebuilt at Hartech @8000 miles ago and it just seems to get better and better as it beds in. I hope you are as happy with yours and I am sure you will be. :thumb:

Hi mate,

I know the feeling but once it sinks in and you get your head round what's required cost and all at least then you know you've got a top engine.

My C4 is with Grant and his team at the minute for a rebuild, looking forward to getting it back now though especially with the weather looking a bit better.

Good luck mate

again lads thanks for the kind words i was just approaching 76000 or 78k miles on the clock not sure when she let go .i am however sure as many of you have mentioned i will be more than happywith the result. grant and his team are a great set of lads and talking to grant has filled me with confidence that i will regain a top class engine when its finished.regardless of the cost :)

Graeme, You'll have a great car following the engine work at Hartech with a host of future proofing thrown in. Look forward to hearing about all the improvements during the next NE run out. Chin up fella.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back