Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear end slide

chriscoates81

Suzuka
Hi guys I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. The last couple of trips I've done I've found the rear end sliding at low speed corners (only a couple of corners on the trip). I've got winter tyres which are a tad narrower bit I'm wondering if the weather is more to blame the the car. Any thoughts?

Tyre pressure would play a massive part if it's low. Also, the roads can be quite greasy at this time of year.

Enjoy it while it lasts :lol:

Most likely cold greasy roads (and possibly cold tyres).
Worth checking tyre condition and pressures though.

Enjoy the low speed fun.
When the tyres have warmed up trust them, you will be amazed at the amount of rear end grip the 911 config has.

Had my first twitch about a month ago. Put it down to forgetting I was on my winters..... Haven't forgotten since!

As someone else said in another thread recently, winters are better than summers in winter but not as good as summers in summer :thumb:

GP41 said:
Had my first twitch about a month ago. Put it down to forgetting I was on my winters..... Haven't forgotten since!

As someone else said in another thread recently, winters are better than summers in winter but not as good as summers in summer :thumb:

I think that they may have contributed, they are 10% narrower than the summers as well so less contact area. It just caught me out as going round other corners at higher speed is fine lol.

I have noticed the same effect quite a bit since fitting my winter tyres on my car... almost new Pirrelli Sottozeros
I have checked the tyre pressures over and over and tried various pressure settings adjusted for temperature delta

I reckon its the tread block pattern that contributes to the movement.....as they are quite different from the 'Summer ' tread patterns.

I challenged my driving style with this in mind and if taking it easy , careful inputs and smooth style... there is less of an effect.

I am also disappointed in the weather since fitting my ' Winters' as the temperatures are invariably above the 7 degree optimum operating temp.

We need a good old fashioned winter with a good period of cold weather where we can get the benefit of the tyre change we make !

Lets have more snow .. !!

Terry

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back